What Really Makes an atom?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Prodio profile image60
    Prodioposted 9 years ago

I know how you would answer this:-

"Hey Prodio! dude, haven't you really been to a high school really?", or, a more lame one - "Dude, haven't you heard of subatomic particles?".

Well, I know of these things. But they are not the end of the story- but rather, they are the beginning. What makes up a subatomic particle - what 'material' specifically? And more importantly - what makes the 'shell' of an atom - what material houses all these subatomic particles?

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."

[Max Planck, German physicist and founder of quantum theory, winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.]

Das Wesen der Materie [The Nature of Matter], speech at Florence, Italy (1944)

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"we must assume" is always the comment made when science and questions stop. Because we feel we have the answer.

We must assume the earth is flat…
      We must assume the earth is the centre of the universe…
      We must assume the math behind our solar system is beyond our comprehension.
      We must assume...

Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

..that all our assumptions are wrong...

1. Righteous Atheist profile image58
          Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cool. God = ASSUMPTION. LOL

Thanks for this assumption.

2. profile image0

Yes, until they are proven to be right.

1. aka-dj profile image65
            aka-djposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Isn't supposed to be assume that it's correct first, and falsifiable. If it's beyond being proven wrong, it must be right?

1. profile image0

No, you are supposed to try to prove things wrong, assume you can find a flaw and look for it.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you know that's how folks will respond, doesn't that imply those words were spoken to you before on at least one occasion?

Not trying to offend or anything, but that's not exactly the best way to ask a question.

Hold the phone here, if you already know of these things, why would you start a thread with a question in the title, other than if you were starting the thread to enlighten us on "What Really Makes an atom?"

So, which is it?

Thank you for the Max Planck quote. That quote has been aligned with Planck's religious views, hence I'll provide some background information in that regard.

Planck regarded the scientist as a man of imagination and faith, "faith" interpreted as being similar to "having a working hypothesis".

He also said: "Both Religion and science require a belief in God."

Planck was well known to criticize atheism and how they focused on the derision of religious symbolism, yet he had this to say:

Planck wrote, "...'to believe' means 'to recognize as a truth,' and the knowledge of nature, continually advancing on incontestably safe tracks, has made it utterly impossible for a person possessing some training in natural science to recognize as founded on truth the many reports of extraordinary occurrences contradicting the laws of nature, of miracles which are still commonly regarded as essential supports and confirmations of religious doctrines, and which formerly used to be accepted as facts pure and simple, without doubt or criticism. The belief in miracles must retreat step by step before relentlessly and reliably progressing science and we cannot doubt that sooner or later it must vanish completely."

But, then we also find a skeleton in the closet:

Later in life, Planck's views on God were that of a deist. For example, six months before his death a rumour started that Planck had converted to Catholicism, but when questioned what had brought him to make this step, he declared that, although he had always been deeply religious, he did not believe "in a personal God, let alone a Christian God."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Planck#Religious_views

So, considering the Max Planck quote really doesn't explain very much, why not just answer those questions in your own words? You did in fact say, "I know of these things", so it should be no problem to enlighten us with your genius.

So you don't like anything that doesn't fit you? hahaha

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 9 years ago

A couple of atoms with poor judgment and a bottle of wine.  Same thing that makes most people? wink

ya.. I mean ...they do get wine, - then get some more of that ...win nobel prizes make a great life and then tell others that they should keep off doing what they did wink lol

Gotch-ya!

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Energy (a lot of it, to be precise) comprises matter. Subatomic particles are solidified bits of energy that happen to fit together to make atoms, and so on.

Haven't you been to high school?

..i mean... OP said.. and then

been to a lowly school, then elevated... keeping up.

1. olypeninsulaguy profile image58
        olypeninsulaguyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Elevated to what? Brainwashing?

2. Prodio profile image60

"Subatomic particles are solidified bits of energy"

What on earth does that 'solidified' mean? smile

1. olypeninsulaguy profile image58
        olypeninsulaguyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Go asked your poorly educated pastor. He'll tell you some BS that you'll believe without question.

That's a very good answer indeed.

3. aka-dj profile image65

I like this answer.
      Where did the energy come from in the first place?

High school never told me that!

You didn't learn about the big bang? Did you go to church school by any chance? wink

Is that your answer?
          Oh, wait, it finishes with one of these "?".
          Hey, that's a question!
          Hang on, you were supposed to answer my question. mad

Sorry if you don't understand the answer. Church school then? wink

2. aka-dj profile image65

OH, OK. You got me.
          Yes I learned about the BB.

Tell me. How is it that you believe in an eternal universe, and then ask me about the BB?
          The BB signifies (one theory) of how it all STARTED, no? Maybe I wasn't listening whet that part was being explained. Or was it?

PS. Never went to religious school.

Sorry you don't understand - stick with "goddunit," why don't you? wink

I thought you denied all science anyway. What are you asking science questions for if you reject all science?

You are a politician, for sure. I thought that of you in your past life, as Mk.
              This is yet another post that confirms it.

It is a simple enough question, AKA. You reject all science so why are you asking science questions? wink

You contradict yourself, that's why. big_smile

You have been caught out lying, and won't admit to it. sad

I did not such thing. Please stop lying about me. Thanks. sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)