jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (72 posts)

Original sin

1. Doc Young profile image83
    Doc Youngposted 2 years ago

What is your position on original sin: do you believe it exists.  Can you give a chapter and verse to support your position either for or against it..

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Define "original sin" and I'll tell you if it exists.  I'll even give you reasons outside the bible, verifiable facts, to support my position.

Doc Youngposted 2 years ago in reply to this

... wild ... looking for Biblical and doctrinal answers not debates from the other side ... but feel free to stick around ...

I don't know that the bible ever defines "original sin".  Sir Dent made a stab at it, but nowhere in his answer is any scriptural reference to original sin - just Sir Dent's opinion of what HE defines it as.  Basically anything the first man did that was wrong.  I don't think that's the popular theological definition.

... wild ... thanks for the input ... don't know your background but seems you have a better understanding of the question than several others ... btw, i suspect you are correct in it not being there

*shrug*  I don't know about a better understanding, but it was meant as a reasonable request for information.  "Original Sin", IMHO, could mean listening to the snake.  Or listening to a woman.  Or eating an apple.  Or disobeying orders of God.  Or not covering nakedness.  A variety of possibilities, but to answer your question only one fits the bill of "original", and that must be agreed upon before any answer is given.

... yup ... now i got find somebody to admit that the doctrine of "original sin" is an exegetic exercise, not  found in the Bible as such ...

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Rom_5:12  Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

... i think we can agree this was the origin of sin and the disobedience is the original sin but what i am asking is where is the scriptural passage that says we are born with "original sin" ... as this would mean that every infant is born with sin already applied ...

1. Sed-me profile image83
          Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Psalm 51:5
          "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me."

Job 15:14
          "What is man, that he should be pure, or he who is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?"

... Psalm - david was whining out his lame excuse of why he is what he is ... as we all do ...
            ... Job - all men are sinners from the moment he makes his first "accountable decision" ...

... still looking for this chapter and verse ...

1. Sed-me profile image83
              Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm thinking you will not be satisfied with any verse.
              Let's get to your point. You do not believe man was born with original sin?

... had you said "just any verse" you would be correct ... however, i am asking for the verse that uses that term ... straight up ... no, i don't believe in original sin as it is presented by church doctrines ... what i am looking for is the basis for this doctrine and the associated doctrine of child baptism to "wash away that sin" ... what i am wondering is how many folks just accept this doctrine as proper without investigation ... and investigation does not mean sitting in church on Sunday and listening to the sermon and blindly agreeing ...

2. profile image0
            Rad Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Wow, does anyone else see the sexism here?

1. bBerean profile image61
              bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No, political correctness and it's hyper-sensitivity wouldn't be born for millennia after this writing.

1. profile image0

Right, we've come a long way. I'd hate to go back, if you'd like to get a glimpse of what that would look like look at the middle east where in some countries women are not allowed to drive.

Now if anyone thinks all men are sinful because we (at birth) passed through a vagina, please stand up.

What about C-Sections?

... eB ... lets not get distracted here ... those folks on the other side of the cross may listen, and hopefully learn something ... but my question was not a debate on humanism, etc ... just correct, defendable doctrine ...

2. profile image0

Did they do many of those back in the day?

2. psycheskinner profile image81
                psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh yes, the "political correctness" that allows me as a female to leave the house, dress as I like, work, live independently and vote. As opposed to that vastly superior Biblical doctrine that says I should cover my head, keep my mouth shut, and take the blame for some mythical sin besetting our entire species.

Seems like you might be leaning a bit more to the "hyper-sensitivity" side I eluded to.

1. profile image0

You were kidding with this one as well right?

3. bBerean profile image61

Hello Doc. 

Before deciding to take the time weighing in on the debate, I am curious of the merit.  Is it your contention that you or any other, aside from Christ, are without sin?  Unless you feel someone has a clean slate providing they don't hit the gates with a mark already against them, I am not clear on the point. 

Thanks.

... i think we are in the same boat ... i believe romans 3:23 and 6:23 ... my search, and that is what it is, is to find why some believe in "original sin" ... my premise in opposition is david's dead child ... we, of course, believe david was a man of faith and thereby inherits a place in Heaven ... therefore the dead child must be in Heaven awaiting him ... if the child had "original sin" then, in keeping with Bible, it may not inherit God, 1 Cor 6:9 one of many ... in order for a doctrine, not a theory, to be proper, it must in all parts agree with the Bible ... every verse of scripture must agree ... therefore, as a sinner i must come to Christ in order to be accepted of God ... this does not fit with the doctrine of "original sin" as proposed by some today ... original sin, by its title condemns the unborn fetus, the newborn and every child prior to their attaining an age of reason, whatever that is ... now, we can take verse after verse and reshape them to fit a doctrine ... but that would be dishonest as well as irreverent ...

Thank you for the clarification.  Your reasoning for concern over the validity of original sin is the only one I could imagine, otherwise for everyone else it is moot.  Let's set it aside for a minute though, because there may be something you have not considered regarding those commonly considered innocents, including David's baby. 

It is common to focus on someone accepting Christ, but for the sake of this discussion it may be more valuable to view it as those who don't reject Christ who receive salvation.  Consider that we are told Christ died for the sins of all.  How then is it that every man is not saved?  We are told each is drawn by the Holy Spirit, and refusing that is the only sin that cannot be forgiven.  Unborn and those not yet reaching a level of reason, never refuse the drawing of the Spirit, and are therefore covered by Jesus payment for their sins. 

As the parent of a severely disabled child who is much older than the "age of reason" by the standards of normal development, this is an important and I believe scriptural differentiation.

... this issue has been considered ... Romans 10:9-10 seems clear on that point ... i don't believe Christ died for all ... period ... what is missing in that argument (argument being similar to an equation) is the acceptance ...  "propitiation" is but the offering which is acceptable to God, but it is also the gift handed toward man yet no gift is a gift unless accepted.... like moses serpent, folks have to look to it in faith believing ... when considering children it would appear they are akin to adam and eve in their innocence ... prior to the falll, they had direct fellowship with God ... the age of innocence ... once expelled from the Garden a new dispensation was begun ... sacrifice was instituted where it was not required previously ... is there any greater innocence than a small child ...

btw ... c-sections are believed to be named after julius caesar ... as i recall he was born in that fashion when his mother died trying to deliver ... he was not the first delivered inthis manner, just the most notable in history ... if its not true about him at least it makes a good story ...

Setting aside your contention Christ didn't pay for the sins of all mankind, and holding back from expressing my own perspective for now, let's explore your premise, taken to it's natural conclusion.

Tell me about this group of millions of people in eternity who, being free from ever having sin, are there on their own merit, not in need of God's forgiveness nor the sacrifice of Christ.

What is their status, role and relationship to God? 

To Christ? 

To forgiven sinners? 

Where can I read of them in scripture?

How should we refer to them?

... not sure who those millions are that you are referring to ... just in case there is a misunderstanding of my position here let me say .... no one, OT or NT has ever been "free from sin" except through faith in the Messiah, Jesus Christ ...

You are correct then, I am misunderstanding your position.  I thought you were arguing against original sin, citing David's baby.  So would you please apply my last questions to that baby, and explain?   It seems to me you are saying he died with no sin, which would mean he was not in need of God's forgiveness or the gift of salvation from Christ that makes it possible.   Is he in heaven on his own merit, as a sinless person?

... eB ... i gotta straighten this out as i see we are not in tune with each other ... i think i got zoned reading your debate with someone else about "man" and "mankind" and did not reply with the proper words ... anyway ...

... i do not believe in the doctrine of "original sin" and i did use david's baby as one of the proofs ...

... i did say "no one" in response to salvation in Jesus Christ alone ... i should have said "no man" or words of that nature which you were debating at the time ... my bad

... i do not believe innocents, that being fetuses, babys, youngsters under the age of accountability, persons of limited mental capacity (God be the judge), etc, have the capability to sin ...

... i do not believe in limbo or purgatory ...

... i do not believe in restitutionalism  ...

... bottom line is, i confess i am a fundamentalist  (no that is not a cuss word to everyone) ... now back to my statement - with correction ...

... no one "who has reached the age of accountability," OT or NT has ever been "free from sin" except through faith in the Messiah, Jesus Christ ...

... Romans 5:13 ... sin is imputed (reckoned attributed) when there is no law. ... spiritually we adults are governed by two economies ... law and grace ... law takes hold when man becomes accountable ... grace frees him from the law and saves him through faith in Jesus Christ ...

... before the law ... that is before the knowledge of right and wrong if you will ... all are innocent, sinless, unable to sin as they have not the directives such as given adam and eve ... babies and those named above are in this category ... Romans 3:20 ... babies and such have no "knowledge" of the law ... now one can put any label on this spiritual state that they chose ... but original sin is not one of them ...

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 2 years ago

I don't know. If original sin exists and was passed on, I think it has to be defined as a choice to perceive individually. Nothing done in the story, by the common interpretation, warrants the punishment applied.

I can see where a conscious decision to perceive reality from a different perspective would create a domino effect where that decision is played out, causing each subsequent life to adopt that stance and expand on it. It isn't punishment, but cause and effect.

So, I can see where the writers may have been going with the story, although I can't fathom a time where a human could have been 'spiritually' in tune but not 'physically'  in tune. So sin is simply a state of being we each exist in, not something we can ferret out. A choice to perceive in a certain manner, which stunts the ability in future generations to understand the original perception.

... sounds a bit gnostic to me ... so lets keep it simple (which is a necessity for mankind) ... what part of the Bible, chapter and verse uses the term "original sin" ...

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 2 years ago

I'm going to tilt against windmills here, I know, but having read through the thread I feel compelled to comment.

Why do Christians miss the basic lesson? Why do you repeat the behavior patterns shown in the OT? What's the old saying, if we can't learn from history, we are destined to repeat it?

Arguing in defense of a hoop one must jump through in order to be deemed acceptable to God is no different than the ancient belief that killing an animal on the altar could please a deity. If professing and accepting Jesus as your savior is the hoop that leads to eternal life, it's still a hoop. It's still animal sacrifice. You've substituted one hoop for over six hundred of them, but it is still a hoop.

Were hoops cosmically approved, I doubt one would suffice. I think that is the general consensus, judging by the tenacious tendency of people to cling to religion. I fully understand the belief, and appreciate the humility which drives it, that humans are frail, flawed and unworthy of eternity without the grace of some being powerful enough to ensure it. I get the rationale behind the need to find the hoop.

But. The whole point of the sacrifice was to end sacrifice. Replace a barbaric custom with a reasoned approach; that reasoned approach beginning with the premise that God is love. To deviate from that basic premise is to build religion. To hem in that love. To create yes, but scenarios. To create hoops in order to justify belief that somehow actions within this plane can make some more beloved. To raise oneself above others.

Some people need that, in order to be better people toward others while on this plane. Those who do should cling to it. However, we should (as gently as possible) continually remind them that they have the ability to rise above this selfish and insecure need to  think of themselves first. In so doing they will find that the hoops they've allowed religion to create for themselves are simply crutches supporting selfish and insecure needs. They are simply cobbled together beliefs created by ignoring the basic lessons.

... emile ... i think you are missing the point ... jumping through hoops takes effort, work ... faith is not a work but a belief ... there is nothing one "can do" in receive eternal life ... and as many times as we say it, it seems to never get through ... the sacrificial system never gave man eternal life (and the sacrifices have ended btw) ... it has always been faith ... now folks "work" for God and man after being saved but that is the outward exhibition of salvation ... as far as rise above ... i have never met a person of pure virtue ... i include myself ... like the old preacher said "if you knew me like i know me, you probably wouldn't talk to me, but wait, if i knew you like you know you, i wouldn't want you to ... now that is a bit harsh but the premise is true ... so ... i don't need any hoops ... i have all i need for an eternity ... Jesus Christ ...

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You missed the point. Obviously, because you just argued in defense of your hoop. As I said. If that hoop is what is needed to strive to be a better person you should cling to it. But, in so doing, I hope that your journey toward being a better person leads to enlightenment. At which point, you'll stop attempting to argue in defense of a hoop for others.

... sounds a bit buddhist to me ... the hoop thing, well it just doesn't do a thing for me and verbage changes nothing ... one must accept Jesus as their savior to attain in place in Heaven ... enlightenment also begins at that time ... so, as to the original question, do you accept the doctrine of original sin ... if you do not understand the concept then you are probably in the wrong forum ...

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I answered that question. You labeled it gnostic. My post which precipitated this exchange was in response to points you brought up. Within this forum. If you can't adequately defend your position, it might be well advised to not bring it up in the first place.

... your initial response struck me as gnostic ... then the secondary appeared to be buddhist ... at any rate neither is the subject ... i am looking scriptural, Biblical responses to a Christian doctrine ... in the first case your response was, shall we say, in the ball park ... however the second puts you in the bleachers, as a spectator ... don't feel affronted ... i'm just not interested in the cosmos ... which is why i suggested you may be in the wrong forum ... and my proofs for the subject matter have been presented ... feel free to observe and comment but please use the Bible as your foundation ... all else is, well, not what i am looking at, at the moment ...

4. profile image0
    SirDentposted 2 years ago

To answer the OP it takes more than  one verse of scripture.

Gen 2:17  But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Death had not come to man until after Adam ate the forbidden fruit.  Man was created in the image and likeness of God and was meant to live for eternity.  When the fruit was eaten, man sinned for the first time.  This first sin brought death to all who were born after. 

Rom_6:23  For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Death comes to all flesh not just a few.  Babies die, children die, young men and women died, old men and women die.  No one is exempt from death.  This is not saying that babies are sinners, it merely mean they are born in the flesh as we all are. 

The flesh is enmity (according to Strong's concordance; G2189
    ἔχθρα
    echthra
    ekh'-thrah
    Feminine of G2190; hostility; by implication a reason for opposition: - enmity, hatred.
    )
    against God and does not want God but hates God.  This is why we must put our flesh under subjection to the spirit.

... thank you sirdent ... we agree across the board regarding death ... but still looking for any verse that contains the words "original sin" ... it is tiresome to see folks led down the path with doctrines that are man made ... which lead to other man made doctrines ... if its a proper doctrine, there will be a verse (probably many) from the Bible that says exactly and agrees exactly with the words of the doctrine ... in this case we have one issue that has brought about a second issue, neither of which is supported by the Bible ... the second being child baptist ... what's it for, what's its value ... is it to wash away original sin, an item that does not exist ... still looking ...

5. Sed-me profile image83
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

And a good time was had by all.

6. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 2 years ago

There is a contradiction in the bible ignored by by Christianity. David clearly stated in Psalm 139 that God made him in his mother's womb. Thus if man has a sinful nature then it was god who put it there during the womb manufacturing process. If the sin is inherited in the sense we inherit genes from our parents then whilst God is actually manufacturing us why does he not remove this sin component as a scrap item?

It's quite simple really. Christians say we are born defective by being born with a sinful nature thus they believe god makes defective goods. However if everything god makes its good then we are born sinless.

I've never once had a Christian provide any useful answer to this contradiction.

... and you probably never will get a satisfactory answer ... its one of those things (there are several for me) that is a mystery, that being why God gave us the ability to chose right and wrong ... he did the same with angels ... there have been a lot books written on the subject, page upon page ... and these authors all say the same thing ... "i guess, i theorize but i really don't know" ... and made a lot of money saying it ... but a contradiction? ... no ... a conflict of the mind, maybe ...  but faith properly placed does not demand that we understand everything, then it wouldn't be faith, but knowledge ... and only God possess 100% knowledge ... so i'll let what i know to be true take care of those things which are unexplainable to the finite mind ... and one day in Heaven, i'll ask Him about that ...

7. bBerean profile image61
    bBereanposted 2 years ago

You've still, after many attempts to have you do so, not clarified which side of the contradictory replies you are actually supporting.  I am going to slow it down a bit, so I can be clear what your position is.  You said:

So please direct your answer specifically to this very direct question: 
    Do you believe there are sinless people, and if so, are they then in heaven on their own merit?

... in "slowing it down" i sense a little play on words trap here ... i think my previous answers are quite clear ... i have given definitive answers and verses ... possibly you could explain what you mean by "sinless person" ... this phrase/term, along with "original sin" are not found in that form in the Bible ... and, if you will, include the verse(s) you base your premise of "original sin" ... and verses that all are born with sin, including the baby of david ... and please do not use Psalm 51, it does not apply ...

Slowing it down even further.  Do you believe there are people without sin?  (Due to disability, infant death, abortion, etc).

8. lone77star profile image89
    lone77starposted 2 years ago

Yes, there was Original Sin. It happened in the Garden. God said that Adam would die on the day he ate of the forbidden fruit. Though he did not physically die on that day, he died spiritually. When Christ told Nicodemus that we need to be born again, he was speaking of this spiritual death and the need to be reborn of the spirit -- to awaken to the spiritual self instead of the self of the forbidden fruit -- ego.

Christ talked of this ego self when he said, "He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."

He also talked of this ego self when he said that those who are First (egoist) shall be last and that those who are Last (humble) shall be first.

The idea that "innocent" children are born into sin has long been a confusing idea, but when you read Ezekiel 18:18–20, it starts to become clear. Only the guilty pay for their crimes. Numbers 14:18 reinforces this idea, as does the statement of Jesus that those who live by the sword shall die by the sword. Yet, we see so many criminals die of old age in the comfort of the villas built on the blood of others.

As Numbers 14:18 explains, God is slow to "anger." The punishment of the guilty does not come right away. In fact, it does not necessarily come in the same lifetime. The 3-4 generations mentioned in Numbers gives the perpetrator long enough to live out their corrupt life, be born again of the flesh and to grow to an age where they will appreciate the boomerang they threw in the previous life.

When the perpetrator is hit by his own boomerang, consciously he is confused. "Why, God? Why is this happening to me." But then his true self (the Holy Ghost within) knows what is going on. When he is ready, the boomerang of suffering (dying by the sword by which he had lived) will awaken a point in the heart that softens the heart toward humility.

The original sin was the blindfold of ego pulled over our spiritual eyes. We were the ones in the Garden.

In every lesson Christ gives about the wicked, you see ego lurking in the shadows. The rich church goer who donates openly is increasing his ego and moving further from God. The old woman who can barely afford her own food, yet she donates in private, is dissolving ego toward the Love of God.

When we take responsibility for all the evil done against us, then being a victim becomes impossible. Also, turning the other cheek becomes effortless.

When we love our fellows (even our enemies) as ourselves, then we give to them what we ourselves would want and thus we become more like God -- without self-concern -- only love for others. This is the end of sin. This is what it means to follow Christ.

If you want wisdom, you will know that the Bible (Pentateuch) was written in code by Kabbalists. That code is now available for all -- the language of branches.

http://perceivingreality.com

... had me going with you for a while there ... then ... boom ... gnosticism and mysticism rear their medusan head ... so the question is forced, "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as the savior, your personal savior, as the son of God, as God Himself personified? ...

working