jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Are you what you think you are OR What your group thinks you are?

1. Castlepaloma profile image25
    Castlepalomaposted 2 years ago

People fear often they may not be accepted by their Group. Very often this person will go along with the group even if they think the group is acting unethical. Feeling like the lone wolf who will die without the pack because they very social animals, like humans. What makes a differences is human's do not need to die like the lone wolf.

Are you what you think you are OR are you what your group thinks you are?

Castlepalomaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh, oh went too deep again.

1. 0
        Emile Rposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't know that this is deep, simply difficult. I think we are both. It's simply a matter of perspective. Attributes in oneself we would dub an asset may be viewed by the group as detrimental. I know they are, in me. Personal beliefs which cause your actions to deviate from group behavior are frowned upon. I know I suffered serious ramifications for not participating in group behavior patterns in the last group I found myself forced to function within. Wasn't much I could do but hunker down and weather the storm. Holding firm to what is right for you is often perceived as a negative judgment on others. So, although I considered being true to oneself as an asset, they saw it through a different perspective.

When most people do not like what they do for most waking hours of their lives. When Most do not have sustainable housing and sustainable jobs. Do you think anyone who is over focusing on one's group is really experiencing comfort and is it really working? How can they know themselves? I don’t need to bore them with my art world.

It’s good that you practice your diversity to try to understand these other groups, like myself. When it comes down to it, each person can improve our self best by getting to know our self most.That why I'm here just for a short time.

The strongest person in the world is the one's who are able to stand alone in who they are and their own ethics they practice. Good for you, when you can do that, for you are what you think most.

It is deep

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Again, I ask your permission to use that title in a future hub of mine when I DO decide to write again.  You have such interesting threads, Mr. Castlepaloma!

All my stuff was design to be given away, GM, feel free.

3. jlpark profile image92
      jlparkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to say I'm who I think I am....and for the most part that would be true.  Occasionally, possibly not - but not necessarily in a group situation.

There are circumstances in which I could be considered part of a group, but for such a short time that I don't need to be the authentic me in every which way possible...so I'm not completely who I think I am at these times. These are either for 'safety' reasons, or that the person/people I'm with don't have any need to know the complete me...the me they get is authentic enough (and is authentic aside from a few "hidden" pieces).

I don't feel I'd belong to a group who made me be someone I am not...which is one of the reasons I'm agnostic - religion seems to force you into a 'box' and if you don't fit it completely, you are labelled - I'd rather do away with the box and just be me - label me if you must, but I really couldn't care...etc.

Oh...too much raw biscuit mix....I'm not sure I'm making any sense now ....(mmmm, raw cookie dough.....)

Labels don't stick to me too,

Your option of yourself is the most important option in the world. Most happy for the people who can serve their self first, in order to serve others better, that is not being selfish

4. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I like to think I am who I think I am. But, as you suggest when in a group many times judgement occurs regarding how aligned with the group. That becomes of importance until a task within the group is needed to occur. Then the way the group mostly the leadership define me comes to be of importance. Of course there is how the 'other' group defines the group I am in and my positioning and position in the group is defined.

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 2 years ago

I'm not in any "groups" so I don't know.

proud of you

working