jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (34 posts)

The Bible does not teach the world is 6,000 years old, but around 13k

1. Mark Victor profile image60
    Mark Victorposted 2 years ago

According to the timetables of the Holy Bible it teaches that the flood was 4990 BC. It is now the year 2014. 2014 + 4990 - 1 (subtract one as there is no year zero) = 7003 BC years from the time God sealed Noah in the ark, to now.  Before the flood, the ancient long forgotten wicked world which God was forced to destroy, according to Biblical timetables, existed for about 6000 years. We can trace the date of Creation to 11,007 BC.  The flood was 4990 BC, so that ancient world that is but a mystery to us existed for 6017 years. So in total the world is  13,020 years old. Existing 6017 years before the flood, and 7003 years after the flood. Combined the world is 13,020 years old from creation.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

And yet we know the earth to be millions of years old.  Seems either the bible or this new interpretation is wrong again.

1. Jomine Jose profile image79
        Jomine Joseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

He might have meant agriculture.  America was collanised 10000 years before. I wonder how noah and his children recolonised it after the floods! They might have been reproducing faster than rats with the specific intent to go to America, but then they forget about it later?

1. profile image0
          Rad Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry, the Book of Mormon has that covered.

smile

1. Paul Wingert profile image79
              Paul Wingertposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What flood? There was no Noah or world wide flood.
              http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9229950_f248.jpg

There was. Without the flood how could Noah clean the shit in his ship?

2. Doc Young profile image82
        Doc Youngposted 2 years ago in reply to this

... and what if "time" as we reckon it did not begin until man began to die ... when all is said and done, nothing much really matters to our existence and eternity prior to the fall of man ...

1. profile image0

When know by studying the universe that time has existed for almost 14 billion years.

1. Sed-me profile image83
            Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't know how recent your source is... doesn't really matter I s'pose. Not a whole lot rides on our forum posts, eh?

2. Writer Fox profile image78
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Actually, as of this month, the count is 5,775.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9245812_f248.jpg

2. Sed-me profile image83
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

The Bible does not say how old the world is, all it says is that there is a beginning. Science says the world is 4.6 billion.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/08/us/cl … at-73.html

3. Cat333 profile image82
    Cat333posted 2 years ago

Endless genealogies... give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. (1 Timothy 1:4)

Some say 6,000 years, some say 13,000 years, some say billions... Nothing in this area should be a surprise, given how little we really understand of it all (whether through study of the bible or study of the earth). What was literal; what was symbolic; what was told from a spirit-inspired vision...

Though I do understand the desire to find the precise truth in these areas and share it with others, these matters are not the Truth that we need to focus on (and they may continue to escape us because we simply don't need to know). God is the Creator of all things and we worship him for this. With God all things are possible, so even that which doesn't make sense to us, does make sense within the spiritual realm. We know the Lord through the Holy Spirit,  and the Spirit is the One who will guide us into all the truth that we do need to know.

1. profile image0

Sorry, but we know how old the earth and the universe is. As it turns out the bible is off by billions of years. Surprise.

I just told you, the Bible does not give a time. It is not off at all. Don't be sorry.

1. profile image0

I guess the creationist and the ID's are wrong then?

I don't know who the IDs are.

1. profile image0

You know the guys who built a museum displaying dinosaurs roaming around with men.

I see.
                I respect their efforts. They may be right about some things and wrong about others. I just know you can't seperate God from science. What is - is. He created all things. He has been from before there was time. The bible gives no beginning date for the earth, period. You can't put God in a box.

1. profile image0

But you can separate science from the bible, Quran and the Book of Mormon. Because the descriptions of history that these books gives do not line of with what we have learned through science. North American (American in particular) is being to fall behind in science because children are being taught to ignore science in favour for these ancient book written by people who pretended to understand the universe.

I've noticed that during the last few years translations from the Quran have changed to line up with science, it's people lying for God and it's deception. We have the same thing happening with the Bible, some contend, a day isn't a day even when we are told what a day is. A world wide flood is a local flood and rather than God telling all the animals to leave the area he directs them to a boat.

You should study the bible yourself instead of relying on other ppl's interpretations. You would be able to answer your own questions.

2. Cat333 profile image82
                  Cat333posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Amen!

The bible does NOT give an age for the earth. Even the genealogies (which are not all-inclusive) are given not for purposes of determining age, but for purposes of showing the line of promise and so on.

People study the earth and most decide it's billions of years based on current methods of testing, etc. Some say certain events (floods, volcanoes, etc.) make it impossible to accurately determine age. I don't know if the dating estimates are accurate or inaccurate, and won't try to say either way. Regardless, the age of the earth is NOT essential to our faith. I know God first, I know the details of it all only after this. If we have a young earth, then we MAY have been given a literal account of creation by the man of God in Scriptures. If we have an old earth, then it SEEMS we were given a symbolic account or perhaps the man's account based on a Spirit-inspired vision. The Scriptures are God-breathed, the men were moved by the Holy Spirit, yet it was still a human being used - a human with limitations in knowledge and understanding, a human with his own choice of words and method for describing what was given him.

Symbolism is used extensively throughout the Bible and many writings. I don't know if the creation account is symbolic or literal. But to say people are manipulating things when they say it's symbolic is ridiculous because we KNOW both the Bible and MANY writings make use of symbolism. You say in your posts here that your reading of the Bible is similar to that of the Creationists / ID advocates. It's very literal; everything taken at face value. But that's not necessarily how it is (though I'm not saying it's definitely not either). My sense from a very young age (before I knew anything about the age of the earth) was that it may have been giving us a more symbolic account; one in which days represented ages and so on.

There are certainly similarities in what the men of God said to what is now theorized - the explosion, the land producing things, the earth being stretched out (in Isaiah). If the men of God spoke after receiving visions, how would they say it? There is also certainly symbolism used in the creation account (whether the accounts are more literal or more symbolic) - seven is the number for completion and perfection, and the seven days represent this completion and perfection of creation by the Creator. 

People are getting tripped up trying to figure all this out. It seems to be a part of the prophesied "falling away" from the faith. Don't let it trip you up. As they say, truth is stranger than fiction!

1. profile image0

And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
          And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
          And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
          And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
          And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.
          And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

What's a day again? Sure you can pretend a day is symbolic for an era, but when it tells you what a day is then it's a day.

1. God shet profile image61
            God shetposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for the update.

Btw, it's not good to belittle a book only because one can't understand it.

1. profile image0

I understand it and I'm not belittling the book. I'm showing people that one shouldn't pretend it's symbolic when it's clearly not. It's hard to pretend a day is something other than a day when it's proceeded by the very definition of a day.

Whenever something in the bible is found to be impossible it's suddenly symbolic.

1. God shet profile image61
                God shetposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well said, 3rd time.

2. Doc Young profile image82
                Doc Youngposted 2 years ago in reply to this

... rad, you are "rad"ical ... most times ... but here ... i have to agree with you ... symbolism is a misnomer when it "says what it says" ... the omnipotent God "spoke" things in to existence ... omnipotent ... how powerful is that ... when He spoke, it was done ... so did it take him 24 hours to do it, whatever it was ... or was it immediate and He sat back and looked at what He had created ... for the next 23 hours 59 minutes and 59.5 seconds ... no matter, though the latter seems more appropriate ... symbolism is not a reconstruction of a direct statement of action ... when the Bible says it is ... when it says it was, then it was ... and when it says it will be ... yup ... it will be ...

Could be literal; could be that the sun rising and setting is likewise symbolic for things beginning and ending; could be the way the man described the vision he was given...

If we're still interested in such things when we see our Creator face-to-face, we could ask him. But I don't know that I'll care at that point.

working