jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)

Atheists are morally degenerate

1. Jomine Jose profile image76
    Jomine Joseposted 2 years ago

So says theists. [Yes, the op was only a bait]
    "The young generation is morally degenerate" says the old. "America is morally degenerate" says East. My question is, what does 'morally degenerate' means?
    My morality is dependent on the culture of my times. Say the morality of a 1st century christian is different from a modern christian's.  So what does it matter even if one is morally degenerate as long as what he does is not illegal?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image87
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The old say that of the young?  No one I know says atheists are morally degenerate. Atheists believe in morals just like everyone else. I have never heard the East say that of America. We are (have been) traditionally a pretty moral nation.

Is adultery illegal? Is is coveting illegal? Is not honoring your mother and father illegal?

Morals: "a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do."
      degenerate
      "1 having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable; showing evidence of decline:
      2 lacking some property, order, or distinctness of structure previously or usually present…"

My Questions :
      1. Does modern society in America exhibit a diminished sense of morals?
      2. If so, what has caused America to loose its sense of morals?
      3. Are the kids running amok?
      4. Is the government running amok?
      5. Are pharmaceutical companies running amok?
      6. Are corporations running amok?
      7. Are parents running amok?
      8. Are adults running amok?

1. Righteous Atheist profile image59
        Righteous Atheistposted 2 years ago in reply to this

1. No.
        2. They seem to have improved actually.
        3. More likely we have better mass communications now and it just seems so to certain types of person.

2. Jomine Jose profile image76
        Jomine Joseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Only because you live in America. The indians and chinese migrate to America for their material improvement,  few among them want their children to get the moral values of America, especially regarding family values.
        And the OP has nothing to do with whether atheists or Americans are actually morally degenerate. There are people here, even in hubpage, who think morality comes only with a belief in god. But OP is only about the meaning of the term and why that concern anyone.

3. Jomine Jose profile image76

Don't you understand that this definition is incomplete? A robber or a prostitute is not immoral by that person's belief concerning what is acceptable for them to do.
        The standard is externally imposed and change with time and place.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image87
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

I am concerned about children's exposure to violent video games and too early and too much exposure screen technology in general. I am concerned about alcohol / drug abuse, and children being born before the nest is built. I am concerned about schools which are more and more controlled by government mandates. I am concerned about increasing governmental regulations and restrictions on businesses and natural resources, increasing taxation and increasing soft despotism. Is the increase of these things the result of moral degeneration in America...
    or something else?

Something else.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image87
        Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

as in...

Lots of things.

So - all these concerns you have - you have not done any research at all?

2. Jomine Jose profile image76

???

3. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

How did you get it so incredible wrong? You are seeing problems and wanting to solve them by allowing corporations to solve them when all they want to do is make money.

The east most certainly think us morally unsound. They see our girls walking around half naked because corporations are telling them how they must look and behave.

So you'd rather have the government (which is supposed to protect us against the evils of corporations) leave leave us to corporations who are essentially psychopathic in design rather than the government step in and tell corporations that they should not be allowed to sell and market tobacco to children or tell alcohol corporations that they are not allowed to sell or market to children.

I'm perplexed!!!!!!

4. Jomine Jose profile image76

Or is the increase moral degeneration?

working