What is the purpose of religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (197 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

The purpose of religion is to try to figure out why life isn't fair. Actually, the answer is pretty simple: the universe doesn't care.

Thoughts?

1. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You just wanted to get me off the other forum so you'd have more room over there to chat. Next time just tell me to go away.

paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not true. I like having you around, no matter where you are. big_smile

Aw, that's nice.
          To answer your op, I don't think the universe cares about us at all. I think God loves us and we're lucky if a few ppl in our lifetime care about us... but the universe? No.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The true meaning of religion is establishing a relationship with the Ultimate Being.  However, organized religion's purpose is instill superstitious fear into the masses which results in the latter giving away their power to an authoritative figure to even amass more political and socioeconomic power.   Another purpose of organized religion is to take away spirituality and replace with mindless conformity to religious dogmatic rules  Religion as we know it presently is merely a fear inducing conformist conglomerate.  The mantra is either one goes along with the program or face societal and/or spiritual disapproval/ostracism. 
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11848728.jpg

1. Righteous Atheist profile image59
        Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not aware of any such thing as non organized religion. How does that work? You collect money from yourself?........big_smile

2. Sed-me profile image78

Not actual facts across the board. Maybe your experience with a specific church or denomination? There are many churches who exist to serve God and their fellow man in love. These churches make an amazing and beautiful impact on the world. I'm sorry if you have not experienced these churches.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

@ S.-m.
    I think he meant God doesn't care.
    Q. What is the proof that He does?

@ P.
    Q. What is the purpose of religion?
    A. To give us a way to guide our free wills toward happiness and actual purpose while we are here.
    Purpose:
    - to get out of here.
    ( It wasn't designed to be fair.)

TWISI

Therefore, whoever designed it is a pr!ck. big_smile

Do you mean b/c you have problems, God is at fault?
        Are they first world problems or third world problems?
        Just curious.

Actually, I've been watching The Guardian on Netflix for the last several days.

I saw that. It's just a movie, right? Not a series?

I didn't know about the move. I'm watching the series.  I started at Season 1; Episode 1. Am now at Season 2; Episode 21. It is not pretty.

Huh... Ill have to check it out. Though I don't know if Id like it if it made me angry at God.
                Im watching The Black List right now. It's pretty good.

For me, not anger. Just confirmation of my resignation as to our lab-rat-ness. And gratitude as to not having so many of the awful problems that so many others have.

I've been noticing that title. I'll make it next on my list.

You're not a lab rat. You are loved. Rats aren't loved.

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Leaving the body is in the cards.
        Transitioning to having no body, except for the light blue-print, is an eventuality.
        Is that a good thing or a bad thing, do you think?
        I keep changing my mind.

Life after death. That is the question. And if there is indeed life after death, what is the logical basis to assume that it is better? It could actually be worse. Perhaps before-life and after-life are one and the same. And our life here is something that for them is comparatively heaven. After all, if the universe doesn't care about here, then it is logical to conclude that it doesn't care about there either.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

This is as bad as it gets. If you are awake here, you will be awake there. If you are asleep here, you will be asleep there. The universe does not care. The universe just holds us. It is neutral.
            God, however, is positive.  When we receive that charge, Bliss.
            ...something like that.

Sometimes we spin an issue till it's a whole new thing.
            Either the Bible is true or it isn't. Either God is who the Bible says He is or He isn't.
            If the Bible's not true and God's a liar, then this is all there is.
            To me... you gotta be kidding me.
            All this? From the beginning of time? Cavemen, dinosaurs, Romans, space travel, you and me here talking... all for nothing? All b/c some fish grew legs? No way! There has to be meaning to it all. I read the Bible, it is historically correct... we reach out to one another and make a connection 'cause the cosmos expanded? No. There is a plan. There is a creator and you are loved. You are loved.

"Either the Bible is true or it isn't."
              Why?
              Some stories of the OT are teaching stories and may not be true.
              Only the basis of the message of the Bible is true.
              What is the basis of the message?
              One God.
              One Source of all creation and consciousness.
              Energy of Life
              (which never dies.)

TWISI

The Bible gives the prophesy that leads up to Jesus.
                It says that Jesus is the only way to God.

If that is not true, then nothing else matters.

Jesus shows us how to live forever. Jesus shows us the way out of here.
              It is holy science.
              "The kingdom of God is within you."
              Why did he say this?

Either every word of the Bible is true or it can't be trusted.
                I believe every word and that's why I trust God.
                If I can't even trust His word to be true, how can I trust Him with my life?
                He is perfect or He is a liar.
                He loves me or He deceives me.
                He values me, or He dupes me.
                I have to be able to trust all that He says is righteous and true.

You do not take the Bible literally do you? I cannot take it literally.

The Bible is intended to be literal and metaphorical. Maybe we differ on the metaphorical scriptures.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61

Maybe He can point me towards what to write that would contribute to society. smile

That's a no brainer. Of course He can.

To better society, remind poeple of their inner lives… their interests in life and the world, their own creativity, their hopes, dreams and ambitions, their own purposes for being here. Remind them to not waste their lives, their talents or their potentials and all the glorious aspects of their beings AS THEY ARE! Tell them not to give in to destructive habits or the temptations of alcohol, overeating, drugs. A second of pleasure disregards negative effects in the future. The path which leads to the true self is the one to stay on…
                  something like that… smile
                I would, but writing long articles really irritates my eyes.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61

The bible was written by humans. And thus is basically as messed up as humans are. However, just because the bible is a mess doesn't necessarily disprove the possible existence of a higher power or of before-life and after-life. It is all still possible.

Btw, my previous post about before-life-after-life was merely one of my more grim speculations. Nothing more. big_smile

Most of those who have placed their faith in God, believe that the Bible was written by humans, but inspired by God... but yes, we are all sinners, even those who wrote down the words God gave them.

The Bible is a very long history book. The earlier portions were passed down through singing and oral tradition. Much of the NT was tossed aside.

The NT was cast aside? Do you mean b/c some books were not canonized? I would argue it is not a part of the holy Bible if it is not a part of the holy Bible. Do you know what I mean?

A mere man tossed them aside.

Im sorry. Again, I don't know what you're referring to.

1. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Beth. I know you attempt to live a good life and I think that attempt, in and of itself, is the primary good associated with religion. But, Kathryn is right. The Jesus movement was huge. Those who had known him had different ideas as to what his ultimate meaning was. Each collected followers and the movement splintered quite quickly.

With what we now know about the history and evolution of the movement it is difficult to believe that the Bible, as we know it, is anything more than evidence of the result of a grab for power within that movement. A grab sanctioned by the Roman government.

If we assume that what you claim is true then it follows, logically, that any step away from that beginning would be heresy. We should all be Catholics, if Christian.

Anything tossed out by the early church , under the advisement of Constantine, is shrouded in a cloud of suspicion but should not be dismissed, out of hand. The same holds true for what was included. imho.

Hello lovely sprite.
                  My post to Kathryn, I hope, is a good response to your post as well... though about the Catholic part, I would have to disagree. Here is why. Many religions/denominations use the word of God. The Mormons have their own version, but they have changed it some, which changes entire meanings. Take this for example. My husband picked up what he thought was a Bible, but it was the book of Mormon.

He read John 1:
                  1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

He noticed, in his spirit, that the verse lacked the power that it usually had when he read it. This is an incredibly important verse as it proclaims the deity of Christ and proclaims that the word itself is God in written form. But in the book of Mormon, one word of that text is changed. It says "In the beginning, was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was a god." There at the end... "the word was A god." It brought the claim that the word of God was not God, Jehovah... but (A) god. Entire meaning changed.

So who can claim the Bible? David? Paul? The Catholics? Where in God's word does it say that Mary is the mother of Heaven? Where does it say that praying to a saint, dead and gone will yield me a listening ear in Heaven? That is not found in scripture. (No disrespect to Catholics.) Why would God tell us that Heaven is within and that He doesn't even want us searching for a physical place and then create a denomination as if that were the destination? God, the Bible, is about man's relationship with Yahweh. This is what He wants us to take away from the reading of His word.

The Bible belongs to no man... to no sect, no denomination. We belong to God.

1. profile image0

But. You claim the Bible, as you accept it was handed to us by God. Correct? If so, that was handed to the Nicene Council first. Which was the beginning of the Catholic faith. They chose to label some books scripture and some heresy. There has been a clear and documented succession from that point. If those who began it were the accepted arbiters, why are their successors not?

I'm not attempting to be difficult. I simply think people put too much faith in a book that history shows was compiled by power hungry people. Entire sects who saw things differently were slaughtered for it. Who knows? They could be true martyrs and those who suppressed their books could be the true heretics.

4. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

It's after 1 am here. I'm gonna have to hit the sack. See you tomorrow... God willing. smile
    Sweet dreams to you both.

5. Aysleth Zeledon profile image71
    Aysleth Zeledonposted 9 years ago

There is no purpose of religion, it is Man-made.

One can be religious about very nearly anything.
      Christ taught that relationship between man and God was the goal.
      If you look at God and you see Him for who He is... you will want to enter into relationship with Him, as He is good, just, merciful and loving. If you look at God and see a distortion of that truth, you will avoid Him. But you are right, religion in and of itself is lacking.

1. Aysleth Zeledon profile image71
        Aysleth Zeledonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

its not just lacking i personally believe that it has corrupted the image of God for many people and distorted how God truly is. I believe in God but don't think im religious.

That may be best. I think you're right. Because of religion, many fear God when they should embrace Him and many laugh at Him when they should fear Him.
          If only we would seek to understand Him, who He is and what His desires are, we'd be fully better off.

In the OT God rebuked those who had religious festivals, but didn't know Him. And in the NT Jesus rebuked whole churches for their lukewarmness and lack of understanding. Religion yields nothing. Relationship is the key.

yes Relationship is the only way to go. Religion doesn't do any good other than teach doctrine that may or not be beneficial.

Ill tell you why I think doctrine is important.
              If your child was doing a report on the assassination of JFK, you might not send him to wikipedia, right?
              Everyone knows wikipedia is a version of the truth, but it's not 100% reliable.
              You could have your kid interview ppl. Some may remember the day JFK died, some may have lived in the same town etc. but still... did they see with their own eyes the things that took place when the shot was fired or have they come to their own conclusions over the years?
              I would think talking to an insider would be helpful. An FBI agent in the know, maybe Jackie? But what if they had something to hide?
              Wouldn't it be amazing to speak to JFK and to the shooter?

That's what the verse John 1 claims when it says "the word was God." If you want to know who God is, if you want to get into His head to some small extent, there is only one book that claims to be the very word of God.

So would I want to be tossed around by every story I heard? Or would I want a solid foundation I could trust to stand on? There is nothing wrong with doctrine, but you must choose wisely.

yes true but there are those people who only take one or two verses from the bible and don't agree or read the entire bible. i was raised on christian beliefs but tend to see so many "christian" claim certain verses of the bible just to benefit them. i also know some Catholics that are way better people than christian. so as i said before i dont claim to be a christian but much rather a follower of Christ.

I think what you've said is right.
                  And of course, there are probably many better Catholics than protestants.
                  Denomination does not declare your righteousness.
                  Denominations are a distraction, if you ask me.

2. Righteous Atheist profile image59

Deleted

She is not claiming an affiliation such as the word Christianity might imply, but is instead engaged in a relationship with the son of God.

She seems to me a lovely young woman that should not be attacked for her faith. I hope this is not your plan.

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

The purpose of religion? To forward the purposes of spirit -- Love!

Ego, the great corrupter, has changed all this. Ego corrupts everything, religion, science, politics, government, industry, commerce, family, etc. Ego is the attitude of self-concern (opposite of love).

For those who think they are the meat body they wear, this will be completely "Greek" to them.

For those who have grown dissatisfied with the ever expanding greed for things, they will feel this other world -- this True foundation which underpins reality. If this is you, then you might be interested in this short video:
    Perceiving Reality

For the rest of you,... bye-bye...

7. Righteous Atheist profile image59
    Righteous Atheistposted 9 years ago

How does that manifest itself exactly?

8. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

What if Emile can't find my response to her post now?

1. profile image0

I found it. smile pretty easy. I know the avatars not to bother to waste the time to read. I just scroll faster.

I'll be honest. I think the tittle and jot were satisfied upon the resurrection. Jesus fulfilled the law he was speaking of. I get what you say about getting what you were supposed to. I just think maybe now is the time this gnostic stuff was supposed to appear. It really couldn't have before, with the Church maintaining such a stranglehold. A lot of it makes more sense than some of Paul's bs.

Hey! There is no bs in the Bible! (Pardon my umbrage.)
        What about the gnostic stuff?
        Also, nice job finding my post. I was afraid it would be lost forever.

1. profile image0

Oh. Come on. It isn't an offense against God to admit some of that is crap. In today's age, anyway.

God is not a chauvinist or a bigot. So if the Bible is true, and God is 1) just and 2) love... then it would be my assertion that it is up to the reader to seek greater understanding. God *is just and God *is love, so what have some readers missed that others, equally intelligent, have not?

1. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's right, no just god would be a chauvinist or bigot, that's how we know the bible is BS.

This reminds me of a line out of The Princess Bride. "I would not say such things if I were you."
                It is so incredibly unwise to mock God. SO incredibly unwise.

1. profile image0

I'm afraid you don't understand. One can't mock some that doesn't exist. Can you mock the tooth fairy? One can however mock someone who believes in the tooth fairy.

I wish you luck sir, though it will not factor in.

2. profile image0

Well, there's the problem. If we assume God is just and God is love then one almost has to accept that some of the Bible is bs. Imo. Because some of the things written cannot be resolved with that assumption.

1. profile image0

Good point. One can claim that they believe in a just, loving God, but they then (if honest) have to admit that the bible's description of God something is wrong.

If they can't be reconciled, you need a teacher. A mentor. Then you could ask your questions and say, "This doesn't make sense to me. Show me every time I have doubts, then let me decide."

1. Righteous Atheist profile image59

They can't be reconciled. wink

You need a teacher... stop winking.

2. JMcFarland profile image69
                  JMcFarlandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying here that if the words can't be successfully reconciled at face value,  then you're not understanding them properly,  so you have to find someone else to justify or spin it in such a way that it tricks you into thinking it makes sense?

Is the Bible the word of god,  or isn't it?   Shouldn't it stand or fall on its own merits?   You're talking about an all powerful deity here,  that you seem to be saying is such a poor communicator that sinful,  fallen humans have to try to make his word say something it doesn't in order for it to make sense to someone who has the courage to actually look at it openly.   I'm sorry,  but that doesn't make any sense.   You can't have it both ways.

It's funny how it's so simple a child understands, but sometimes we leave that little child somewhere far in the past. Somewhere no one can reach... or at least we like to think so.

Our intellects that we think serve us so well become a little tangled. Suddenly nothing's simple and everything's complicated. When you come to the realization that God is love... that He loves YOU... everything just starts making sense. But if we can't take off that adult hat with all it's angry little tentacles and suckers of doubt, none of it makes sense.

So if so many millions of ppl are able to read the bible and reconcile those things that seem to trip up the doubters, then you have to wonder why. You could, as many have expressed, assume it's delusion. It's a quick and easy answer. Or, you could look at yourself and wonder if there isn't some kind of disconnect. Something that once understood, but now appears to be broken.

You will scoff, I know. Don't worry about it. I'm just offering the clearest explanation I can.

3. profile image0

Are you suggesting that I let someone else speak for God? Is that truly advisable?

I personally would let someone else speak for math.

3. Andrew Uffmann profile image61
                Andrew Uffmannposted 9 years agoin reply to this

He shows that he is just AND loving throughout the Bible.  We may not consider some of the events in the Bible as God being just but when you look at the greater picture .....He sent His only Son to die for everyone....even those who hated Him...thats love .  On another scale our children are always telling us we are not fair or just when we discipline them in ways that we know will help them in the long run.  Al A lot of the things God did before he sent His Son were just in a time where lawlessness and wickedness were rampant.. Worse than today if you can imagine it

1. profile image0

Oh, I take it you haven't read the bible then.

2. wilderness profile image94
                  wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"On another scale our children are always telling us we are not fair or just when we discipline them in ways that we know will help them in the long run. "

Do you think, then, that Lot's wife learned from being turned to salt?  The children teasing Elijah that were then ripped apart by bears?  The firstborn of Egypt, murdered for the (God created) actions of the nobility (murder being defined as killing of the innocent)? 

Seems to me that your god's "discipline" is used more to scare a third party into obedience rather than to help someone.  Like beating Johnny (to death!) because Jerry was a bad little boy.

3. Righteous Atheist profile image59

Only one son? What a weenie.

Died? You mean died for 3 days and then came back to life by majick - surely?  Hardly a big sacrifice. 2nd best death for 3 days out of billions of years. lol

This stuff only works on uneducated peasants. Sorry. sad

2. profile image0

What goes on in the mind of someone who does't think beating slaves and killing non-virgins isn't BS? This simply amazes me.

So many times it has been explained to you about the laws of the land, but you choose to ignore the fact that they had laws back then as we do now. Why not consider (again) the whole Bible and not just the parts that you think prove your point... like some NT verses concerning slavery.

Colossians 4:1 ESV
              Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.

Galatians 3:28
              There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

That's the thing about trying to discuss these things with you. You do not listen. You just ignore then bring up the same incorrect arguments over and over again.

1. profile image0

Oh, does it say somewhere not to keep slaves? The laws of the land? Really? So God shows up and tells people what to do, but doesn't mess with the laws of the land? Too funny! Have you read that book yet?

Ay yi yi. What is all this to you? Either study the bible until you understand it and then discuss or stop wasting your time. The things you say do not make sense. It's like you picture this as a form of entertainment. It is not a form of entertainment. It is my faith. If you don't understand/appreciate it... you've got to find a new form of entertainment.

1. profile image0

It's difficult to imagine something more entertaining than how the human brain works at deceiving it's self.

9. paradigmsearch profile image61

I was walking by a church last Sunday.

Suddenly a bunch of people started pouring out.

I asked one of them, "Is Mass out?"

He said, "No, but your hat's on crooked."

smh

Keep working on it. This particular joke is literally almost a 100 years old. big_smile

Oh no, I got it... kinda proud of myself, kinda ashamed.

Be proud, girl, be proud. I just figured this thread needed some lightening up. big_smile

I blame the OP.

He is indeed a rascal, isn't he.

10. profile image53
    Nathan Reeseposted 9 years ago

At least 2,500 Gods known through history of man. Even serpent worship, the oldest recorded worship. The real question is, what do you mean by God?

11. paradigmsearch profile image61

The universe makes fun of us all.

Why exactly would the universe make fun of us all?

Maybe it's insecure.

The above is from a series I just discovered at Netflix. If you like Zen and humor, it might be worth a watch. The show is called Life. big_smile

1. JMcFarland profile image69
        JMcFarlandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you like zen, Humor and Sarah Shahi.

Fairly Legal, 2011–2012, just might keep me occupied for awhile. Thanks!

hey! I watched that show. It's only 2 seasons... apparently the writers had a writer strike during it and it kinda lost what had made it special, but I still really liked it. It was the lead actor that made it so good. Good music too as I recall.

12. Andrew Uffmann profile image61
    Andrew Uffmannposted 9 years ago

Ya we are all uneducated like saying that dying for 3 days is an easy death....what does the amount of time that he was dead have anything to do about it...His death however, meanging while still alive being crucified His body stopped functioning, is the sacrifice He gave. Would you get sacrificed for people that hated you and spat on you?? Easy to say its not a big sacrifice.

1. profile image0

Do you not understand how silly human sacrifice sounds. Stop for just one moment and ask yourself what the need of it was. Why didn't God just declare that we will all be saved? it's silly, barbaric and infantile and rather embarrassing.

13. Andrew Uffmann profile image61

Ya we are all uneducated like saying that dying for 3 days is an easy death....what does the amount of time that he was dead have anything to do about it...His death however, meanging while still alive being crucified His body stopped functioning, is the sacrifice He gave. Would you get sacrificed for people that hated you and spat on you?? Easy to say its not a big sacrifice.

1. Jomine Jose profile image71
      Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Body stopped function,  which function, eating talking and having sex? Venitlator patients do none of this. Or is it heart beat,  doesn't matter either.
      If staying put for 2 days is enough and if the reward is greater glory and eternal life who wouldn't want to do it? Isn't it what the martyrs did?
      Hated?? The christians says the reward is only for those who believe him, so the ones who hated and spat is eternally damned, isn't it?

1. Andrew Uffmann profile image61

He did it so those people would have a chance, change their wicked ways.  For those living for the rest of time, for ALL to have a chance....There was a thief on the cross next to Him who repented right there and right before his death Jesus said your sins are forgiven , a testament to the ease of having all your sins forgiven after a life full of it...

So he didn't it only for those people who will follow him?
          Where indeed is the sacrifice?  What did he sacrifice? 2 days from an eternity?  Where was his soul, by the way, then? Was it dead too?

1. Andrew Uffmann profile image61

His life, He did it for ALL people to have a chance at redemption....look at the world around us , filled with wickedness... I know Im in need of redemption.  Its like saying "all you have to do is follow the law and you wont be arrested.   All you have to do is follow Jesus and your forgiven from judgment like following laws of the people and you won't be judged.  He wants us to have a better life on earth too, all his speeches and commandments lead to a better life if we were to truly follow them...look at them.  Don't steal, don't murder, don't covet, which leads to anger and other wicked things.  no ones perfect and God knew we would never be able to follow his laws perfectly so he sacrificed Himself.  It doesn't mean you can't ever sin because that's impossible, but Jesus gave us a way to redemption.   That's what I believe I have no hate towards anyone who doesn't;t believe in it.  So believe what u believe and Ill do the same.

RED HERRING.
              I will state it ones more so that you can listen.
              What did jesus sacrifice?
              Wasn't he "sacrficing" only for those who follow him? Those who spat at him has no redemption unless they ask his forgiveness and follow him. So on what basis you say that he died for those who hate him. Those who hate him has no redemption.

14. Andrew Uffmann profile image61

And I guess by your observation, we believers are all poor also seeing as we're peseants for believing in God.  Education does not garentee you the truth.

15. Andrew Uffmann profile image61

Read the Bible and see how truly amazing rather than embarrasing it was. He knew we would never change our ways so He sacrificed Himself out of Love..... To God per the Bible He gave us freedom of choice , and salvation was earned not simply given.  It would have never been earned so He gave Himself for us.Not silly, magnificent. Yes he could have just made us robots and said ok all is fine and forgiven but life as we know it would not b the same, and God didnt create man that way. We tear each other apart when tells us to love , when the world is like this how can people not be judged just as we judge people for their wrOng doings

16. Andrew Uffmann profile image61

Read the Bible and see how truly amazing rather than embarrasing it was. He knew we would never change our ways so He sacrificed Himself out of Love..... To God per the Bible He gave us freedom of choice , and salvation was earned not simply given.  It would have never been earned so He gave Himself for us.Not silly, magnificent. Yes he could have just made us robots and said ok all is fine and forgiven but life as we know it would not b the same, and God didnt create man that way. We tear each other apart when tells us to love , when the world is like this how can people not be judged just as we judge people for their wrOng doings

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)