jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (24 posts)

We Live In 2 Worlds

1. God shet profile image59
    God shetposted 2 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11856849_f520.jpg

We all live in two worlds - we all - no matter whether you admit this fact or not. Not 3, or 4 or 5 - but basically we live in two worlds.

There is a persistently acute world of (physical) matter around us on which we rely and we need to rely desperately. We are dependent on food, water, electricity, housing etc. We would run mad without these material facilities.

Also, there are other material 'facilities' of which we really do not think much: for example - sunlight, or air, or the sheer beauty of the moon and the stars, and the magnificence of the cosmos. We do not credit these things as much as we should: and perhaps the only way to apprehend their contribution in our life is to live without these things for an even very brief period of time.

If tomorrow the Earth ceases to spin - or if the Sun ceases to shine - we would have to appreciate how indispensable these were in our life.

But there is another world - the world of our feelings - our likes and dislikes - our passions and our dreams - our loves and our deaths.

The challenge is to bridge these 2 worlds.

You may think that it is very easy to balance these two worlds - the inner and the outer. But the truth is that it's difficult to keep the balance. Our education systems are obsessed with the material world. Our Western science can never see anything beyond and above the atomic universe. We have developed an entire culture based on a very misguided conception of the human life, and life as a whole.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Have you ever heard of Psychology?  Sociology?  Theology?  Anthropology?  Parapsychology?  Sociobiology?  Thanatology?  Urbanology?

All refer to study of the "inner", either directly or indirectly.  Even though the "inner" applies only to a specific individual there is enough commonality to study the fields, and it is being done every day.

God shetposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes. That is the Western approach to understanding the spirit inside us. Their understanding about these 'things' is still at kindergarten level. And they're studying at the wrong institution.

The western approach to understanding is to study (the "ology" part of the words).  And the "other" approach?  To make up stories without a clue as to whether they are true or not?

That "ology" part is mostly about making others believe.

2. 0
          Rad Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh great one, please bless us with your knowledge. Shall I just call you God?

2. bethperry profile image88
      bethperryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I actually tend to agree with you, but the western view of things referred to have only been around for a few hundred years. Before the advent of the Church and the Age of "Reason" the peoples of Europe were a lot more in tune with Reality.

BTW, beautiful cat.

Perhaps Europe was more 'spiritual' those days. At least they freely admitted the spirit's existence.

1. Righteous Atheist profile image60
          Righteous Atheistposted 2 years ago in reply to this

And the average life span was about 20-30 years. And the infant mortality rate?

Show me this "spirit" of which you know so much.

Show whom?

Me.

"God shet posted 9 days ago:  How do electrons imagine?"

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2642179

Can't then? wink

"God shet posted 3 weeks ago:  I'll be expecting you during the 'Live Question & Answer' session. Anyway, it's a fact that every human being (and it's true about other lifeforms, too) have a 'world within him/her', and it is also a fact that 'others' can engage and interact with that 'inner world': we are constantly doing it anyway."

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2632406

2. God shet profile image59

And thank you for the compliment.

2. Sed-me profile image82
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

I can't believe no one wants to be a real vampire.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I don't see those as two different worlds.  The immediate sensory/survival/practival and emotional/meaning/beauty words are inextricably parts of the singular human experience.

Well put.  All combines to make us what we are.

4. God shet profile image59
    God shetposted 2 years ago

If 2 'things' become very finely, and partially mixed - that doesn't necessarily mean that all the distinctions between them have ceased to exist.

working