jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

They Know Not What They Do...do thay?

1. jlpark profile image90
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

I was of the belief that the aim of 'sharing' one's faith with another was in the hopes they would see the light, find Jesus, and follow God. And if not, at least the person was made aware of the greatest of God etc.

Here, particularly on the questions/answers part (I don't always look in Forums to be honest), people often become badgering, nasty. Several questions in particular....but one I was reading today - people were down right nasty (the Psychic lady asking how her talents fitted with her belief...old question, but the comments are recent and NASTY at times).Granted, that particular question it was not the usual suspects that I see frequently  - posting asnwers/comments that aren't necessary, nor are they encouraging anyone to be of their faith, or asking questions to bait others...(I have one or 4 in mind)

To be honest, there are a couple of people who do not claim to be religious (actually the complete opposite) who don't often help matters (I have one or two in mind), so no one side is blameless....

In the recent times - I've become VERY clear on what my beliefs are, or aren't....and I can put some of that down to personal research, discussions with respectful people etc.....but I can also pinpoint a small part of it being to be ANYTHING other than associated with the beliefs of those people..

I wonder if those here on HP are aware that their constant badgering etc is actually turning people AWAY from God?

(Now, I'm not judging anyone for their beliefs, or lack thereof - I'm not judging anyone...I'm merely trying to point out that some methods are better than others to convert)

OH MY WORD.....what a spelling mistake in the title!...and I can't change it....hahahaha whoops

1. Link10103 profile image80
      Link10103posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well, I have one of those believers firmly planted in my mind right now.

As for the other side, I wonder if I have to go look in a mirror for that one big_smile. I dont name call...I thinks. Directly anyway unless I just dont give a damn anymore.

I replied to a new comment today on JM's question and brought up how it implied a very vivid concept of fear of not believing in god due to punishment. Our favorite hubber along with another one somehow turned it into me projecting my preconceived notions of god onto someones answer.

Cant say I am a difficult person unless dealing with an already difficult person. Then it turns into me seeing how far into a corner they back themselves into before going bananas. Sometimes its fun, but most times its utterly mind boggling.

2. 0
      Emile Rposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm right there with you. It doesn't make any sense at all to me. I think 'spiritual' is defined by an inner peace that shines out for the rest of us to see. And, there is nothing peaceful about these discussions at times. So the more some attempt to force their opinions as truth while those attempts belittle the thoughts of others, the more they showcase how far removed from some universal truth they must be.

2. 61
    DJ Andersonposted 2 years ago

Hello, Jacqui,

Where are these comments?  Are they in response to a discussion question or a hub that you published on HP?
    If they are contained in a discussion forum, how do I locate the discussion?

Please direct us to these insensitive NASTY remarks.  I do not doubt your words, but would like to see the names of the people being rude and would like to read their comments.

This additional information will be most helpful.
    My best to you,

1. jlpark profile image90
      jlparkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

DJ...it would be difficult to list.

it's actually usually stupid conversations/arguments between a selection of 3-4 "Believers" and 2 "Non-believers".....where they end up devolving into petty name calling etc.

I'm not one to name names, as I feel that that crosses the line into 'harassment" etc....I believe their own behaviours will make them obvious to those who wish to look.

The questions are usually designed to bait the other side....though, to be honest, i did ask a similar one recently because I actually wanted to know the answer, as well as say "see, we're not angry us atheists...stop making us out to be" on the "Do believers actually hate that we don't believe in God?".  So far, discussions have be civil....but on discussions similar....not so much.

It's annoyed me enough, I no longer reply to most...as I tried giving one or two of them the benefit of the doubt, and answered a few and...well...doubt proven.

I'm not perfect, and I know I answer in ways that aren't occasionally terribly helpful to anyone's cause....but I do try my best!

3. 61
    DJ Andersonposted 2 years ago

Jacqui, I have a great deal of respect for anyone having the courage to defend what they believe.  That would imply doing so while staying in the confines of civil communications.  It sounds like some people do not understand the word, "discussion".
    You have a sharp, brilliant mind.  From what you have said, it sounds as thought you do enjoy a good old fashion verbal sparring match.  Not everyone is going to recognize the guide lines for a rousing discussion.

You are just the person to show how a lady can state her beliefs with nary a despairing word.
    Jacqui, take the higher road, my friend.  Play with your precious wee one and forget about the nasty people.
    They are not worth your time.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend,