jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Questioning Aspects Of God Means He Obviously Exists?

1. Link10103 profile image79
    Link10103posted 23 months ago

Its happened more than a few times now, but I have been told to look up the blame god paradox, where basically if you assume in any hypothetical situation that god is real (not for the sake of debate or anything of the sorts right...) that it must mean that god exists as a fact, or at the very least that the person debating the topic is an obvious believer of god.

Can someone please explain how this kind of reasoning makes any sort of sense? People have no problems whatsoever in attributing all the good things in life to god. That in itself isnt necessarily a problem, if they also attributed the bad things to him as well since he knows all sees all and created all.

This is where the deflecting starts happening. Suddenly god's moral reasoning is set a bar higher than the morals humans possess and that it cannot be understood. If not that, you have it so that humans are the ones who do bad things and are completely responsible for their actions, voiding any reason god would need to interfere (yet he deems it worthy to intervene with miracles randomly. Attribute the good, ignore the bad).

The more recent excuse, as the title suggests, is this blame god paradox. It seems to be a damned if you do damned if you dont kind of thing. You can say that there is every possibility of god yet you do not believe in a particular one, but you still obviously believe in god. If you point out the bad things that god supposedly has let happen assuming that he is real for the sake of the debate, the blame god paradox comes into play and its obvious that you are a believer of god.

Is it coincidence that when that comes into play, whatever line of questioning in regards to god letting bad things happen goes completely unanswered?

1. 0
      Lybrahposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I believe that God allows bad things to happen for a reason; He has a plan we are not privy too.  God says His ways are NOT our ways.  In fact He uses bad people to bring about good.  An example of this would be a person who is bullied at work and forced to resign is out of work for a short bit, but then God provides a better job for that person with better pay.  Had that person not been persecuted, he or she would still remain at the other, less paying job, not as happy.  It's complicated.  I am told that one day we will all understand God's plan.

In regards to your topic, believers believe that all good things, whether they come about from God, or not, should be glorified to God.  God is to be given glory for everything.  The bad stuff is the work of Satan and people, but God allows it to happen for His own reasons. 

It's complicated.

1. 0
        Rad Manposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Actually it's not complicated at all. Humans have evolved to want answers to question, some things in life seem to be unfair and unreasonable, like the death of a child, loss of a job or an illness. When someone tells us they have the answers some simply take the answer as real without thinking of wether it's a reasonable answer. So your answer becomes that a God exists and does things that don't appear to make sense to us but will eventually make sense so there is no need to think, just do as you are told. Is it reasonable to not take blame for your actions or credit for your achievements? Is it reasonable for a quarterback to thank God rather than his team for a win?

The answer you have given for all the odd things that happen in the universe creates more questions than answers. There is a more reasonable answer to why bad stuff happens to good people.

2. Link10103 profile image79
        Link10103posted 23 months ago in reply to this

So when someone gives credit to god for something good, like say your example, there is no need to delve Into gods supposed reasoning for allowing that good thing to happen but to simply praise him for it.

But when something bad happens, we automatically blame satan for it. Even though satan was created by god, or at least can do nothing without gods permission. Even knowing that god is allowing Bad things to happen, no one gives credit to him because suddenly his reasons are unknowable, the same reasons that werent unknowable when something good happens.

Nothing complicated about it

1. 0
          Rad Manposted 23 months ago in reply to this

And yet some pretend to know God intimately, and pretend they have the power to speak for God, but when push comes to shove they claim we are simple unable to understand.

Its no wonder then that people not of the same faith supposedly dont know what they are talking about when critisizing god, most believers themselves dont seem to know what is going on half the time.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 23 months ago in reply to this

"...believers themselves dont seem to know what is going on half the time"

How can you say that?  If something good happened, Goddunnit.  If something bad happened, Satan dunnit. 

Its so clear now!

3. Righteous Atheist profile image60
        Righteous Atheistposted 23 months ago in reply to this

This is simplistic in the extreme. When you say "It's complicated," what you really seem to mean is "I don't understand but I want to believe in majick so badly I will ignore the obvious dichotomy." wink

As a matter of interest - who told you that one day you will understand?

2. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 23 months ago

The simple answer is that it doesn't make sense.

The "blame God paradox" would only be relevant if the person arguing really did believe that God was at fault for everything bad and yet also claimed to not believe in him. I have NEVER seen that happen. It's always been hypothetical.

I find it funny how the person pushing the blame god paradox onto me can use hypothetical, yet when I do it none of what I say has any merit whatsoever and he is proven 100% right.