jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

'Parama Hansa'

1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 2 years ago

"There is a magnet in your heart that will attract true friends. That magnet is unselfishness, thinking of others first; when you learn to live for others, they will live for you."

~ 'Paramahansa Yogananda' [Mukunda Lal Ghosh (Indian yogi and spiritual teacher)]

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11946231_f520.jpg

'Parama hansa' is a word that we find in Indian spirituality. The concept is lofty:  as swans come out of lakes dry, and unaffected by water ~ likewise, there exists a state of conscious-ness where the inner soul becomes immune from all the illusions (maya) of the world ~ and reach a state of 'unaffected' happy-ness.

It's quite like the experience of standing on top of Mount Everest with a telescope in hand (thrilled by the aware-ness that a helicopter will arrive in 5 minutes, to lift us).

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks God, shet! What a gift you have presented to us!

Yes, the inner soul is immune from the illusions of maya and when one realizes, (is conscious of,) the inner soul, one experiences "unaffected happy-ness."

edit! "Thanks, God shet! What a gift you have presented to us!"  Funny what one little comma will do…sorry, God shet, I know you don't want THAT responsibility… By the way, what does your name mean… what is "shet?" Short for shelter... or?

God shetposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I saw quite a lot of folks on this site who are antagonistic to "God". They feel no pain when they freely use offending words against It's name. My moniker came out (quite naturally) as a result of that experience.

'God is shet'!

God IS shelter!  There… that's better.

:-)

2. God shet profile image60

Thank you too.  :-)

2. lone77star profile image91
    lone77starposted 2 years ago

My late father would read from the works of Paramahansa Yogananda (Autobiography of a Yogi), Cayce and others when I was a child. My brothers and I would soak it up like thirsty sponges.

Years later, I experienced the unaffected bliss you described. It included unconditional love for my enemies, perfect responsibility for their actions, utter humility, fearless confidence and effortless forgiveness.

There is a movie just out called Awake about his life, lone77star. I thought it was great. I was able to see it in a theater; beautifully done with music, images and film of Yogananda never seen before.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Lone77star, you said you can accept "...perfect responsibility for their actions,"

This is a hard concept for me to comprehend.
    Can you elucidate?
    What miracles ensued after the accident when you were able to put yourself into this frame of mind? This ability would take practice I would assume. How do you practice taking the responsibility for the actions of others? How can this be realistic? Isn't it enough to take responsibility for our own actions?

working