Clip from "Star of Bethlaham"

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (159 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image77
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago
    1. Righteous Atheist profile image59
      Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Shocking ignorance. Thanks for pointing that out. Scary how ignorant some people are isn't it?

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What specific part did you find ignorant?

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that the earth and moon aren't the same size.  Maybe that an "earth eclipse" would look nothing like that.  Maybe that that specific portion of sky would ONLY be visible during an earth eclipse at one tiny period of time each year with all other dates and times showing something very different.  Maybe that the constellations designed and named by man, with great imagination, does not say anything about God. 

This is what happens when theologists try to use science they don't understand to "prove" their theology.

It's not a "proof" it simply happened.

What happened?  That someone made a video from photoshop?  Like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park?

I'm confused.

What happened? It was shown in the video clip. At the same time that history says that the man Jesus was hung on the cross, at the moment the bible records that he died, an eclipse occurred that "blacked out" the heart of Aries, the ram.

Kepler's math, was able to calculate the map of the sky in the 1600s, but he made a mistake (based on the work of Josephus' writing) about the day Herod died. When they figure out the mistake and make the correction about the star of Bethlehem... everything falls into place. You should watch the movie, it's awesome if you like astronomy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWi0tWKoxo

Not possible; history does not even record a man named Jesus, let alone the moment of death.

He is not named by name, but many historians believe there was a man that fit the description.
                    The time of death is simply taken from the bible.

Did you watch the whole movie? It explains quite a bit. It's interesting, even if you're not a believer.

2. Chris Neal profile image79
            Chris Nealposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where did the guy say that the earth and moon are the same size? And if an 'earth eclipse' wouldn't look like that, what would it look like? Do you have a link?

The earth is much larger than the moon; from the moon, then, the earth would be many times the size of the sun.  Not equal, as the moon is as seen from earth.

That's why the moon and the sun look the same size to us here on earth.

No it's not; the size of the earth has nothing to do with what the moon looks like from the earth.  Plus, of course, the apparent size of the moon is constantly decreasing as it moves further away.

Really? Huh. Because the astronauts have talked about how small the Earth looks from the moon. I'm not sure whether to believe guys who have actually been to the moon and seen Earth from it or not now...

Compared to what it looks like when standing on the surface, I bet it does look small and insignificant.  But what does that have to do with the relative sizes of each compared to sun and when standing on the surface of the moon/earth?

2. Righteous Atheist profile image59

Pretty much all of it - as wilderness has explained to you. Thanks for showing us how ignorant that person is. sad

You didn't understand the things he was saying?
            You don't have any actual criticisms, just a blanket statement?
            Ok then. Thanks for taking the time to participate.

I understood just fine thanks. It was mostly drivel and - as has been explained to you - incorrect or outright lies. Still - must be helping you maintain your irrational belief so who am I to point out how ignorant that person actually is?

Want some specifics -  check out what wilderness already explained to you.

What a shame this belief system always causes you to be so aggressive.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I don't get it. There was no one on the moon to see it from that perspective and we don't know a specific time of his death.

We don't know he even existed. lol

No, there wasn't anyone on the moon, but that does not mean that we can't get a pretty good idea of what it would have looked like. We do it all the time in other contexts. Even Star Trek has heard from scientists who looked at star patterns and worked back to whether those would have been accurate. I mean in the episodes that took place on Earth.

The Gospel of Mark states that Jesus died 'in the ninth hour.' That would have been 3 p.m.

1. profile image0

Guys, I think we need to back up a bit. It is said that Jesus was crucified and died at passover, correct? When is passover celebrated? Passover is a spring festival, so the 15th day of Nisan begins on the night of a full moon after the northern vernal equinox. In other words it's impossible to have a solar eclipse during passover. Unless someone has information I'm not privy to.

It's a lunar eclipse from the earth, not a solar eclipse. You can *only have a lunar eclipse during a full moon.

1. profile image0

Right, but a lunar eclipse doesn't make day become dark does it?

IDK... my husbands the expert on astronomy... Ill pick his brain when he gets home. I just really enjoyed the movie. It had a lot of good info.

1. profile image0

I've watch it before, one must have to make sure it's the right information.

2. Nancy Hardin profile image60
    Nancy Hardinposted 9 years ago

The only aggressiveness I found in these threads, is when someone makes fun of another's beliefs. We all have a right to believe what we want to. I don't think it's good to make fun or bash someone for having a certain belief, or no belief. I am not a churchgoing person, but I have no problem with those who do. I can believe what I want to believe, even if I want to believe we came from star people. Nobody knows exactly how the heck we all got here. Yes there are theories, but that's all they are. Theory simply means "1. abstract thought, 2. the general principles of a subject or 3. a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle offered to explain observed facts." In other words a hypothesis about something. We have the right to have our own theories about religion. We have the right to NOT believe or TO believe, it's that simple.

I very much appreciate those words Ms. Nancy. Thank you for speaking your mind.

Do we have the right to say some of these beliefs are ridiculous? wink

3. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 9 years ago

I'm still not getting any of this. I just don't see the point. It's said he was crucified and died during passover and during the day. That would make a full moon visible on the night side of the earth, which means the moon could not have blocked out the sun and even if there was a lunar eclipse it's perspective from the moon is irrelevant as no one has seen it.

I think this is an example of a psychics technique of throwing out erroneous information in hops that something catches.

1. Chris Neal profile image79

It is mentioned in a Gospel that there was darkness over the land at that point.  People who look for natural explanations for this would say that it must have been a solar eclipse.

1. Jomine Jose profile image71
        Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And only in gospel. No contemporary person ever so it.
        Why not mention the dead men walking around in town? Why none bothered to explain?
        In truth a described eclipse by Thallus was used by a later charlatan to say that a darkness occured.

Use the edit button por favor.

lol... you completely revised that sentence so that it makes sense... then put a bunch of question marks like you didn't understand what I meant... then posted a link to the "dishonesty of Christians."
              If I am skilled at dishonesty, I bow to your greater skills. If you dont want to discuss the link in any depth, I will letcha go.

I added two more sentences which I thought is relevant. I didn't change it to mean anything completely different.

2. Jomine Jose profile image71

I added two more sentences which I thought was relevant. I didn't change it to mean anything completely different.
                And I still didn't get this "Use the edit button por favor.".

Really? Cause you used the edit button, y gracias.
                  Anyhoo... let's bid each other farewell for a spell eh? smile

You people never address the point of discussion, do you?
                    That is why the link.

3. Jomine Jose profile image71

The OP in the link describes those who reply after reading only the first sentence perfectly.

Are you from India Jomine?

Yes. My address is there on my website provided in my profile page link.

2. profile image0

That's my point, It couldn't have been a solar eclipse during passover.

Which could barely last 10 minutes, let alone 3 hours. But considering it was written by charlatans who thought two days and nights constitute three days, it's ok.

Then what would it have been?

1. profile image0

A story.

2. Sed-me profile image77

Im sorry. Im waiting for my husband to get home. He explained it to me, but he was working on the comp. while he was talking and there were like 2 min. breaks between each sentence. lol
      I really think if I try to explain it, it will not answer your precise questions. smile

1. profile image0

Did you get an explanation from him yet?

We've had a super busy couple of days... we're watching that Tom Cruise movie where he dies over and over. I'll ask him to answer your questions then. He doesn't enjoy these kinds of things so he's just being kind to me. lol

2. Sed-me profile image77

Paul read thru this and he said Chris gave you good responses. Were there any specific answers that you didn't get?

1. profile image0

The question I had asked was how could there have been a solar eclipse during passover (full moon) which would have been the explanation for the darkening of the sky? If the description of his death is correct he died during sunlight and the moon wouldn't have been insight. Thanks for the effort.

This is Paul.

People have posted some interesting info on the subject on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion_darkness ; noting Passover only takes place during a full moon, eclipses are short, and there was one on April 3, 33 AD.

The moon, full or otherwise, is visible during daylight hours as often as it is visible to us during night hours; rising in the east & setting in the west. Look for it during the day if you haven't noticed it before. Another interesting fact is the moon and sun "look" the same size to us from earth because the Sun diameter is 400 times larger than the moon and the sun is 400 times farther away.

Anyway, my dialog is superfluous to the main info in the original video Beth posted. The presenter is a lawyer just showing what the view of the earth looked like if one were standing on the moon at the moment of the death of Jesus of Nazareth, using an accurate app called "Starry Night Pro". It was only an interesting observation, this lawyer didn't make up the information, he simply discovered it using this software. How dd he know the exact moment of his death? He reveals how he discovered it in the third section of his full length feature presentation: http://www.bethlehemstar.net/about/  He isn't dogmatic about his discoveries, but meticulous in his research. Also, the purpose of his research wasn't to prove the existence of God, but demonstrate biblical accuracies and finding other interesting observations besides the view from the moon,

1. Chris Neal profile image79

I like that.

2. profile image0

Please tell Paul thanks for his effort and time.

It does perplex me however that the video shows that the moon was in back of the earth (relative to the sun) at the time of his death therefore it could not have been in front of the earth and caused a solar eclipse.

It appears we are confusing the full moon with the new moon. When we see the entire moon during the day it's called a new moon, when we see the entire moon during the night it's called a full moon.

If passover happens during a full moon and the death of Jesus accordingly then there is no chance of a solar eclipse being a possible explanation to the darkness described in the bible.

4. Sed-me profile image77
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Sure Rad Man, with zero sarcasm you are 100% correct. The following simple 1 min explanation of the phases of the moon shows what you're saying: http://youtu.be/jgoIP90apEs This "Starry Night Pro" software backs up what you're saying too. It backtracks time in the sky based on Kepler's math (enhanced by Newton's math) and isn't demonstrating a solar eclipse at this moment in history. This app is showing what us humans call a "lunar eclipse". Which at night makes the moon appear reddish (if one is on that side of the earth) and lasts less than 2 hours as the moon passes through the earth's shadow. The moon would "see" a very bright sun "disappear" and then "see" only refracted sunlight which had passed through the earth's atmosphere (if anything at all). That same refracted light would of been reflected back towards the night side of the earth. Meaningless detail to the people who where observing in Jerusalem around noon their time that day. However, to a Christian it might be interesting the "ram" in our constellations happened to have a "dark heart" at that particular moment from the particular angle (standing on our moon).

1. profile image0

Okay good. We have established that the moon could not have blocked out the sun on that day. Good, because many have been suggesting that.

Next you will have to find evidence that God named the constellations and their meanings and then you'll have to explain what that had to do with coming from the perspective of the moon. to this day no one has seen that perspective. You could look around for some more erroneous signs much like a psychic search and listing names until you notice and that you only remember that name. What you are saying is that on that day there may have been a lunar eclipse that line up with a constellation or group of stars? So what?

That last reply was from Paul.

PS... did anyone notice I spelled Bethlehem wrong in the title?
        Im a sad, sad little writer.

1. profile image0

You're asking the wrong person about spelling errors. Didn't notice, don't care. Couldn't spell it without a computer anyway.

Tell Paul, some Atheistic Canadian says thanks.

lol... I will... he may post more later. (Paul said you could call him if you wanted to.)

I noticed, but compared to the mistakes and falsehoods in that video, it didn't seem worth mentioning. wink

Did you actually sit through the full video?

We watched it on Netflix (edit, sorry someone loaned us the DVD)... I didn't watch them on Youtube.

You have more stamina for that sort of thing than I do then. Just that clip was enough to make my eyes bleed. big_smile

That's a funny joke, thanks for taking the time to share it with me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)