jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How Would You Feel If You See Your GrandKids Being Taught 'Bout God & Religion?

1. God shet profile image61
    God shetposted 23 months ago

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

~ Matthew 18:1-3

Suppose, you are a retired electrical-engineer ~ someone who has been a lifelong atheist in his personal life. Your son (a software engineer) is an atheist as well.

But your daughter-in-law, who was brought up in a different family than your own, is a devout worshipper of God. She has made it her personal mission to familiarize her kids ('your' grandchildren) with the divine presence of the 'Holy Spirit' in all living things on earth. She doesn't want to let her kids to suffer the same injuries that she herself had to endure as a child ~ in the house of her atheist father (who was a civil engineer, by the way).

Now, the point is:  How would you deal with this situation? Or will you just step aside to make a room for God?

1. Buildreps profile image96
      Buildrepsposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I think this depends on the situation, Anders. Lightness, laughter and fun would be better than swampy, religious murmuring. You cannot push God from the outside inside a person. I think it doesn't work this way. Step aside and let lightness come in smile

1. God shet profile image61
        God shetposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Exactly!  smile

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 23 months ago

Life is not always as we want it to be; if we have to watch our grandkids being taught a myth as reality, then we have to.  We are not the parents of grandchildren and must not undermine parent's will to teach as they wish.

Harder would be the question of what to do when the grandkids ask US about God or why we don't go to church.  Lie?  Tell them it is only a myth and the parents are wrong?  Go along with the farce?  Sidestep the question?  I think it would depend on the age of the child, but sooner or later we have to tell them their beliefs are just a myth.  Or teach them how to think critically - to examine their beliefs themselves - and that is likely to enrage parents as much as telling them their beliefs are false.

3. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 23 months ago

I'll tell my  kids about god and Jesus. I'll show them all the physical evidence about how the myth is stolen from a previous religion and have them read Hebrew mythology. That alone will show that god is BS.