Faith and Belief

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image83
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11995072.jpg
    Is there a difference between Faith and Belief? Are these two words interchangeable or can you have one without the other? Is it possible to believe in something without putting your faith in it?

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe that if nothing is wrong with my car and if I put my key in the ignition it will start. Is that also having faith in my car's abilities?

2. Kylyssa profile image92
      Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think belief is thinking something real and faith is having expectations and desires of things you believe in.  Where it gets tricky is that sometimes people believe in things due to their expectations and desires that they exist.

Believing your car exists means you think it's real.  Having faith your car will start means you both expect and desire it to.  Faith is unnecessary to believe your car exists.  Believing your car exists is necessary to have faith in it.

Believing in God would be thinking God is real and having faith in God would mean having some sort of expectations or desires of God.  Having faith in God requires you believe God exists.  Believing God exists may require having faith or an expectation and desire that God exists.

As for my car ... I know that it exists because I can see it with the natural senses. Faith goes beyond what I can see ... it transcends the concrete and goes into the abstract. As the Book of Hebrews states "it is the evidence of things unseen."

3. CuAllaidh profile image80
      CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Faith and belief are absolutely different, while belief can be faith based, and faith can be belief based the two do not have the same meaning. Faith is complete trust or confidence in something, belief is accepting a statement or the existence of something. While there are circumstances where faith and belief can be used in a sentence interchangeably and mean the same thing, this is not always the case. As with many things in the English language it is about nuances.

4. Jacqueline4390 profile image83

I truly BELIEVE that each of your answers hit squarely on target! There are some highly intelligent and insightful people at HP :-)

5. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference in faith and belief.
      Faith is more like trust and
      Belief is like a knowing

6. Diagoras profile image61
      Diagorasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a person, thing, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, as well as confidence based on some degree of warrant.[1][2] It can also be belief that is not based on proof.[3] The word faith is often used as a synonym for hope,[4] trust,[5] or belief.[6]" Wikipedia cut and past.

It would seem that faith and belief are essentially the same and in that same category is trust. What would be the difference between a faith in a person or a faith in a god? One is based on  a  personal experience of action, the other on an abstraction or hope of something or in something absent any real knowledge or experience.

7. kess profile image60
      kessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes they can be interchangeable depending ontthe context.
      Your faith is the confidence you have in your belief.

Your beliefs represent the confidence you have in your knowledge.

Your knowledge represent your perception of existence.

Your perception represent the level of conflict of desires.

The less conflict leads to clearer a perception which increases knowledge, giving confidence in belief which determines the strength of your faith.

2. LadyFiddler profile image77
    LadyFiddlerposted 9 years ago

Hi I believe both goes co in hand because you must have faith to believe.

E.g. if you go to the doctor and he tells you take some antibiotics it will cure you. Now you believe him , so when you go home you take the tablet and faith in you is believing and hoping for the best that when this medication is applied you will be healed/cured. Likewise with a HEADACHE WHEN YOU TAKE THAT TABLET YOU ARE APPLYING FAITH IN THE TABLET AND YOU BELIEVE YOUR HEADACHE WILL PASS.

Therefore you cannot believe without faith :

E.g. #2. if you go to the beach to bathe you believe that there is nothing in the sea water to harm you and you have faith that you will come out the water safely without anything going wrong.

Have a bless day

3. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Yes you are correct ! Like no one here really can see hubpages staff from where they are and yet hub pages exist and we as writers exercise faith in their pages and channels.
    not seen , but seen in understanding by the things that are in front of us. I do not know how clear that is but I do like your explaination

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we believe (know) the staff is here, and we have faith (trust) that we are in good hands..sorta speak

4. profile image60
    Lantokeyposted 9 years ago

Ocassionally in this dystopic realm of the mundane my FAITH in human nature is restored by trusth honesty and politeness. I BELIEVE these ideals are essential in getting along together!

5. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Another way to look at it is by what is written ,New World Translation 1Co 10:31 Therefore, whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory. 
    There is nothing wrong with recognizing God's Glory from all things he has created , that should be very natural  as it would be to love your family.
    The world we live in today has adopted  or gotten away from what is pure and natural .
    Like organic to process as example !
    I agree with you about politeness and honesty, I hope those two things never become obsolete.
    But those that do know and love the Heavenly Father will always keep that real and in mind. We can always make needed adjustment in these areas .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)