A Different Kind of Christianity...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
    MelissaBarrettposted 9 years ago

It was suggested to me that I start a thread about my own faith... I think that's a wonderful idea. Christianity, which was always fractured at best, has largely broken down into the progressives vs. the fundamentalists. The fundies get more press, as they tend to scream the loudest and do the things that piss people off most. The progressives tend to view the whole thing with disgust and go about our business the best that we can while tactically ignoring the fact that the world is defining Christianity by those who, I feel, are least like Christ.

Mo and I are often lumped together, which is ironic because we have radically different personalities. Our faith, however, is quite similar... even though we come from completely different denominations. We generally come to the same conclusions about right and wrong, even though we walk different paths to get there. That leads me to believe that the rift in Christianity isn't even about denomination... it's about following Christianity vs. following Christ.

Mainly though, the reason Mo and I are lumped together is because we aren't fundamentalists. We, I think, are defined by not being what everyone else has came to expect from the faith. That's sad on so many levels... because there are so many of us out there. We, in fact, represent the majority of Christians. It's a largely silent majority though... mainly because the minority is so very unpleasant to deal with.

Anyway, to start off the conversation about progressive Christians, I'm going to carry over the subject from the other thread to highlight the differences between the two factions...

Here's a great article on Missionary work from a non-fundamentalist point of view.

http://www.wideopenground.com/missions- … christian/

The final line: "Wrong is when we are more concerned with hell and damnation than the love of the people." is a very representative statement of the progressive Christian viewpoint.

1. Cgenaea profile image60
      Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So befitting that I stumble across this thread by doing something I never do.
      Ok...
      We, fundies, are the minority??? Hmmm... have you taken in the fact that, "Few, there be, who find it." ???
      I am ashamed that there are those who feel that the majority rules...
      However, from your, very obvious viewpoint,  that's the ticket...
      Please don't get me wrong, I love you, with every fiber of my spiritual being...
      I know that you like the idea of following Jesus, but... the two of you, are drastically different.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am asking you nicely to please let her alone.  You two do not get along and it always leads to a fight.  The Bible says, "When possible, live at peace with all men."

1. Cgenaea profile image60
          Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh... respectably as I possibly may; this is highly important. The ideas are off kilter.
          We all have something... but pass up an opportunity to, "Get an understanding, with all our getting. " ???
          It's irresponsible, and against the admonishment to restore.
          I am not beyond reproof, I know. So if I may learn of something new that Jesus said/did, we are all the better.
          I ask you to moderate, as is your gift, if you will...
          We were instructed to reason together. I don't know why everyone runs from it...
          Oh, the bans???
          What will be, will be...
          We come here often. Why not allow it to profit?
          Maybe we won't fight...
          Ok, ok... I'm juss play'n... lol...
          But, God benefits.
          I got the same sword Jesus used. When I put it down, restore, if you will. But correction was the entire business of Jesus. He came to set straight. 
          We are at odds. We must see who needs restoring. I am not afraid or ashamed of correction. But, I need to know.
          Am I seeing Jesus all wrong???
          He sat and fully explained himself to his 12.
          He expects us to too... anything you feel compelled to add, please do...

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 9 years ago

Interesting post. This is a side of the Christian circle I don't see very often.

MelissaBarrettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bah, we fight. We've always fought. It's always between the "Orthodox" and the "progressive." They used to call it heresy and burn people for it... now we just fight on forums.

The definition of Christianity, I believe, is in the process of changing. I guess it always is though and always has been.

Anyway, there's an interesting movement happening that has dubbed itself "unfundamentalists" They differ on some of the biggies of my denomination, but I respect them and what they are trying to do.

i hate cutting and pasting long blocks of text... so here is a link to what they do. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamen … hristians/

Again, they aren't a great fit with some of my core beliefs, and I'm not encouraging anyone to join up, I just think that the difference in attitude is amazing... and it gives me hope.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting. There isn't much I haven't heard of, but I hadn't heard of the "unfundamentalists" until reading the article you posted. There is a definite difference in attitude there from a typical "fundamentalist" comparable list that could be made, and I can definitely see why there would be such controversy.
          You're right. It's always been a fight between the "liberal" and the "conservative," in the Christian circle. The approach to how one lives their Christian life is so complicated that I'm almost convinced there are as many versions of Christianity as there are people, regardless of upon how much they agree. I've seen all the fights. Liberals saying conservatives are hypocritical and stuffy; conservatives saying liberals are too loose and distorting scripture to fit their lifestyle, etc.
          It's good to see all sides of the Christian view. Maybe some stereotypes will slowly start to die once people realize that not all Christians are the same.

smile

As important as it is that those outside the faith know those things, I think it's as important for Christians to understand them. The "fundamentalists" of today, used to be the progressives and so on throughout history. There isn't a Christian alive right now that doesn't hold a view that was at one time labeled heretical. We LOVE persecuting each other. We seem to think, for some reason, that Jesus is proud of us for it.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
            AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

2. profile image0
            Mel92114posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Perfectly stated.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

Well, here is another yummy chocolate in the Box! The Unfundamentalist Chocolate, I mean Christian!

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image75
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

This chocolate may not be the one for you. Thats all.

5. DoubleScorpion profile image79
    DoubleScorpionposted 9 years ago

If one wishes to know if they are right or wrong in how they are following Jesus...They need only to read the Four Gospels..and only the Four Gospels. And once complete, honestly ask themselves if the life they lead...how they talk,how they treat others, etc...matches the stories told in the Four Gospels.

Red-Letter Christianity does have it's appeals smile

Here's a link to that movement:

http://www.redletterchristians.org/start/

2. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely ......
      If we could undo what has already been done ?????

Imagine if we can,  ...  IF we had NEVER ever heard anything from any religious perspective:  nothing!
         If our only perspective was the intended message as delivered in the words written in red, nothing added, it shouldn't be hard to follow his directive.
         It is only when we are looking for loop holes to justify our desires that it becomes difficult.

IMO  Jesus was just trying to tell us how to live as trouble free and joyous of a life as possible while allowing others the same privilege.
         The farther we stray from his directives as described in those words written in red advocate; the more worrisome and troublesome our lives become.
      Worries, our concern for our troubles and selfishness separates us from peace joy and love, there by separating us from God.
          This is not a law ordained by God.   It is just a fact of life. 
      Mankind has turned these facts of life into a religion. 
      This is why Jesus was always chastising the Scribes and Pharisees.
      Why are we making up so many rules that even we can't keep?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image79
        DoubleScorpionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And it is because of this statement that we have the trouble we do today.

6. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Sounds good... yet...

7. Carol McCullough profile image60
    Carol McCulloughposted 9 years ago

Hi, I feel we all should focus on following the foot steps of Jesus, and helping people that are in pain. An stop focusing on ourselves as much.

I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)