jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Religious or not?

1. Isa Levine profile image61
    Isa Levineposted 19 months ago

My country, the Philippines is criticized because of not discriminating the third sex. I know we do not have the same sex marriage, but gays, lesbians has the freedom they deserve, they are mostly not discriminated in work, and has the equal rights as everyone else. Other counties are against us for not discriminating the third sex as we are a Christian country.

What can you say about that?

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Well I've never heard of the LBGT community refer to themselves as the third sex, but your country is to be applauded if people are free to be who they are without discrimination.

1. Isa Levine profile image61
        Isa Levineposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I'm sorry if I said third sex as referring to the LGBT community, yes we have the same freedom and when I was in high school there were some bullying involve but more people who are fat/obese are being bullied than gays and lesbians do. Maybe it depends on school or environment.

2. 79
        Norine Williamsposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Isa:  What is the third sex?  The LGBT community?

3. Isa Levine profile image61
        Isa Levineposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I'm sorry for referring to the LGBT community as the 3rd sex but I'm mostly referring to gays because their more open in our country, lesbians are more secluded and if they are open people  think the only one's that are lesbians are those that wear guy clothes and act manly.

4. jlpark profile image91
        jlparkposted 19 months ago in reply to this

"Mostly not discriminated against", no marriage equality but "equal rights" You know you're contradicting yourself, don't you?

NO ONE should be discriminated against at work or anywhere - mostly not discriminated against still means they are being discriminated against merely  for being gay or lesbian.

Equal rights - but not marriage? Then are they equal rights? Or just equal to a point of "no, sorry, thats ours" - much like when it was illegal for mixed race couples to marry.

Same freedom - yet, you can marry someone who you've known for less than 24hrs (dependant on laws in your country), but a LGBT person could be with someone for 50yrs and still not be entitled to that 'freedom'.

Seperate but equal is anything BUT equal.

So, no, you don't have equal rights, nor are LGBT not discriminated against in your country. Sure, you might be a Christian country, but you're still denying rights to others. It's easy to not be able to see what is un-equal about it all, if you aren't the group who is being denied the equality, so I don't blame you for trying to stand up for your country, but imagine if it was you who was "mostly not discriminated against", or denied the right to marry the person they've been with for 50yrs, and see if it's equal.

Please understand I'm not getting at you personally, just the idea.