jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

The Devil

1. Phil Perez profile image82
    Phil Perezposted 18 months ago

In a recent article I just read, it was about the Devil and what it said was that the Devil's name "Lucifer" means, "bringer of light/dawn." Can any Christian or scholar or anyone with enough knowledge explain this contradiction? I invite you to try.

Also, the bible says: And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the devil and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world. Revelation 12:9

It's all metaphoric for your mind. mythical serpentine dragon beasts never existed. It probably has to do with our ego. Our animal tendencies within our subconscious.

Jesus also said "Get behind me, Satan, you're in my way." To mean, "I will not ignore my impulsive thoughts, but simply, use them to see the right of way."

The word, "Satan" actually means "adversary"

The whole world is in the power of the evil one. John 5:19

The whole point is to show that we're all the "evil ones" if we don't try to learn of the unknowns and "wrongs" of life itself!

1. BuddiNsense profile image59
      BuddiNsenseposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Lucifer, the light bearer is hated and called as satan because he brought to light that people worship the evil one as god (to quote from another forum,
      "genocidal God who would put his own creations in torturous Hell for eternity") while ignoring the true god.

2. 0
      Joshtheplumberposted 17 months ago in reply to this

Lucifer, the light bearer, carries the light of knowledge. It is a double-edged sword. Satan is not a person, but a force which aims to keep your attention focused on physical reality. It will manifest in countless ways, but complacency is its most powerful weapon.

It is widely believed that the devil himself has arrived to bring about the 'end of days' while in reality, this story was fabricated by the powers that have been so that when the genuine article- the Alpha and Omega- returns from the abyss, few will follow him... or her... into the new and beautiful paradigm.

2. jacharless profile image81
    jacharlessposted 18 months ago

It is not contradictory, but rather misunderstood.
    The "connection" between lucifer (lucem ferre in the Latin) and satan (ha satan in the Hebrew) seems to occur because of a proclamation to the ancient king of Tyre, where it states he had fallen out of favor with Creator/the gods. The proclamation is quite colorful and dramatic, as I suppose and such proclamation would be.

Tyre (formerly called Ushu, currently called Sour) is a very old port city, in current day Lebanon, and once was the major trade-hub and crossroads of the ancient world. It is particularly famous because of its access to the Sea and to the East. Second, is its theological fame. As a foundry of Phoenician folk, Tyre was once a Ba`al Samem (El, lord of all the heavens) practicing state. As history notes, it changed from Ba`al to the worship of Melqart/Hercules. It also notes that the King -not the priests- was the liaison between humans and the gods, which explains the proclamation in its entirety. It closely resembles the Pharaohs of Egypt and their liaison to Ra. Third is it's alliance with the Israelites, which expanded its trade capabilities. Lastly, its fortification as part island part land-state.  Nebuchadnezzar II tried to take the city for nearly a decade (which is clearly noted in the proclamation) but eventually failed. Alexander the Great seized it after much trouble. And of course later on the Romans would annex it, then the Byzantine Empire and finally the Islamic conquest.

Grammatically and historically there is no real connection between the two terms. Seems this king broke covenant/agreement with the Israelites and decided Tyre would be greater than Jerusalem -as the gateway to the world and religious epicenter. Hence a proclamation against the city itself and also against the king himself by the Hebrew prophet Ezekiel.

The term lucem ferre in Latin means light-bearer, keeper of the light. It is associated with Venus, the bright morning star that illuminates the world. Given the time-period, beliefs and events, it makes sense this term would be used against Tyre because the king was considered the bearer of light, the messenger of the heavens.

And yes, you are correct, the term ha satan does translate to mean adversary, as well as stumbling block, blinder -and most importantly: the Ego. The term was translated into Latin and Germanic to mean The Devil. As with many early beliefs, all forces were defined as entities rather than expressions of human personality. The "Devil" is real, but it is not what most assume. It is not an angel gone astray but rather the force that separates humans from their true nature as immortal reflections of the Ineffable everything. The evil one is the Ego, it is Reason, the divided house which brings humans only one thing: destruction.