From another thread on the religious side of pros and cons. No one gave a list.
Let see if any atheist are afraid trying this out.
From not being an atheist nor religious, I made my own pros and cons list anyways. Found out I am either.
1. Focus on what's really important in life. Don't concern on who's at the center of the universe. do not take the bible litterally, only methaphoricaly sometimes if it makes some sense.
2.Following my good sense rather than childhood indoctrination or religious fundamentalism. Not belonging to a groups self-superiority "one truth dogmatic" or blind faith. No anicent rules or paranoia about sexism, food, marriage, slavery, and money. No need to feel quilty or regrets of sin.
3.Having an open mind about ethics of nature and science. By use of logic, reasoning, history, and science to define your Aims
4. No need to fear God or Fear of hell (for you or your family) Blaming Satan was invented to scare people into obedience along with false promise of heaven rewards. Sometimes they go out and convert people rather than letting God/Bible do that.
1. The religious insist ON your error of your ways of thinking and if you don't agree, saying you are arrogant or delustional.
2. The most hated group in America,stereotype of being someone who's "evil" by religious groups Meanwhile atheist per capita have a better criminal record.
3. Social stigma, persecution by bigots. Some people think you couldn't possibly have any morals because you don't believe in their god. About 85% of the world believes in God wail your onesided also as you do not know if God exist (no proof)
4. More often, no afterlife comfort.
5. You can't run for office in some parts of your own country or be the President.
6. Not as high of paid jobs
7. Lower life expectancy
1, 2, 3, and 5 are based on stupidity and ignorance from closed minded people. Obviously Im not saying that they arent cons, but they arent ones that come with being an atheist by simply identifying as one if you talk to someone whos IQ doesnt match that of a squirrel. Irrelevant point but I felt like making it anyway.
As for 4, If someone is an atheist, clearly they dont need comfort about the afterlife otherwise they would be a theist...so I dont see how thats a con. If it was strictly about comfort it would be incredibly easy to just not be an atheist.
I've never seen anyone ever mention 6, like ever. Usually places just wont hire you point blank if you identify as an atheist, but if they actually tell you that you can always bring them to court. Thats not particularly limited to atheists though...
As for 7...the only way that makes any kind of sense is if someone is an atheist in places where they behead them...and as we can see thats not really limited to atheists either. You mentioned running for office and being President, so I would have assumed you meant the US. Seeing as there are religious people who deny modern medicine completely or certain aspects of it when they need it to survive...I really dont see where 7 came from at all.
1. As with any belief system, feeling like you are being true to yourself
2. As with any belief system, deciding how much you want to pursue it in an organized group or institution.
3. Actually not being the most hated group in America by any measure. Being an open atheist has never caused me any problems. And my job is plenty high paid, and my family history and lifestyle suggest I will live a long life, so that was not an issue either.
1. Being a minority.
2. I guess heaven would be cool if it did exist.
CNN Survey. I do not hate anyone, yet imagine telling a Christian group (85% Americans ultimate love) that their God dose not exist. Then tell 85% of the world's population their God is not there.
I agree with some for sure.
For the pros I do like that I feel I'm getting the most out this life by not just looking forward to the 'next thing'.
I also feel that atheists tend to be more open-minded and accepting of different lifestyles which I think can provide valuable insight and experience.
For the cons, I do personally wish that I could believe in the afterlife or that I will someday see my loved ones again. But just because I *want* to believe that doesn't make it so. I'm sure it's a nice comfort to have and I am sometimes sad not to have it. But I view my non-belief as being just as strong and valid as someone's belief - I didn't choose it, it's just what makes sense to me.
That's really the only con I can think of. Maybe not having the feeling of a tight-knit community that some people get in church?
Some atheists believe in reincarnation. Some religions also support atheism; Buddhism does. You can if d your hope and community there.
Find! I don't know how if'd came up.
I like to be a jelly or a triagrade. Travel to more places than man. Live longer than man, have no back pains like man. Don,t get punished for thinking or for living. In bible years compared to science years, the jelly fish has lived a 100 times longer.
1. Being able to think things through logically without having to rely on faith provides me comfort.
2. A feeling of accomplishment that is all mine when I do something very difficult. Never having to pass off my achievements as some almighty beings.
3. No need to mind other people's business unless their behavior is illegal or truly harmful to others (basic morals not killing people, raping people, or taking things that don't belong to them etc.).
4. No worries of being stuck in an afterlife world with all the "forgiven" rapists, molesters, etc.
5. Knowing that I am in control of my life and no one is guiding me towards a point provides comfort. (the idea of an almighty having a plan for me makes me uncomfortable, I prefer being responsible for my own outcome 100%)
1. Having to hide my beliefs or being unable to discuss them openly outside of the internet. Due to the fact I own my own business and live in the bible belt I risk losing clients if they find out I am not a believer (Has happened and I was openly told it wasn't good for business so I lost the contract even though my work had been valuable I was not worth the risk to the other business). Also I have heard people close to our family state they do not believe atheist should be allowed to raise children. So it is easier to just keep my mouth shut.
2. Not having the comfort of a "father" protecting me when ill or seriously worried about my life. It would be nice to just pray away my worries. What an easy way out! I guess if I were dying it would be nice to know someone was "on the other side"
by Mark Knowles6 years ago
It is my contention that the Christian religion (and specifically following Christ) is guaranteed to cause conflict, wars and ill will.As proof - I cite the last 1800 years - including the hubpages forums as evidence....
by Brittany Williams3 years ago
Atheism only means the lack of a belief in God. Why is it so hard for Christians to realize that we dismiss their religion for the same reasons that they dismiss all other religions? It doesn't make us horrible people,...
by Raitu Disong3 years ago
If not, is death the end of everything for them?
by cjhunsinger2 years ago
"Are atheists really so different from everyone else? Well, yes – but not in a bad way. Catherine Caldwell-Harris of Boston University has studied atheists and found that they share certain personality types,...
by Claire Evans4 months ago
This topic is old, I know, but I'd like to ask it anyway. Many Christians will ask an atheist, "Why are you here if you don't believe God (should it be a Christian thread)?" Some will answer,...
by arthriticknee7 years ago
There is no Atheist text.This ensures Atheists can't manipulate the ambiguous writings from 2,000 - 3,000 years ago to justify their actions.As far as I am aware, no one has committed mass murder in there name of there...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.