jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Good Friday

1. reggieTull profile image60
    reggieTullposted 7 years ago

Why is Good Friday called Good Friday when it is a day that a man was crucified?

1. 0
      SirDentposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is the very day that one man died for the sins of every man. One that was sinless, loving, caring, compassionate, but mostly ordained to do the task at hand.

He took the place of murderers, thieves, rapists, child molestors, liars, etc. . . Even the man who was released during the festival was guilty or muder, but yet Jesus died for him also.

Without Jesus' death, there would be no resurrection, no atonement, no remission of sins. Without His resurrection, there would be no life, no heaven, no glory, and no praise.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image81
    Maddie Ruudposted 7 years ago

People die violently every day, but we still say "Good morning," and "Good night."

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

It may have been a variation on "God's Friday." The "good" was  sometimes used to replace the word "God," often seen as too holy for humans to say.

The thing I could never quite understand was the timeline. If Jesus was in the tomb for three days -- starting on Friday afternoon, and rose before sunrise on Sunday, that's not three days.

1. countrywomen profile image76
      countrywomenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Actually different interpretations  are used to explain this. I found some information but not sure which one is the most accurate smile
      1) Crucification either on Wednesday/Thursday
      2) The way 3 days/nights is calculated (i.e., 12 hours day and 12 hours night)
      3) In Jewish traditions day begins at 6 pm sunset.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I found this on a website:

"The name may be derived from 'God's Friday' in the same way that good-bye is derived from 'God be with ye'.

It is 'good' because the barrier of sin was broken."

5. reggieTull profile image60

This has been informative. Someone asked the question of me today and I thought it had to do with the end conclusion that a proof of life after death came out of it.  OK convoluted - then I thought it was good for mankind since one man's death was a payment for the sins of mankind.  But Good and God - well that is a fine answer.

Thank you

6. reggieTull profile image60

And that is basically what I was thinking and why it was a Good Friday. Why should death be seen as dark when it represents light.  It is a Good Friday for truth was realized as the sky darkened.