jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Are there always two sides to every issue?

1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 12 months ago

This is a philosophical question. Are all sides of an issue equally valid? Often, the correct answer is not the middle. In many political debates, we are presented with two extremes. This is to differentiate the two views. Some politicians will say they are "moderate" to be wishy washy or take the compromise road. My personal believe is that it depends on the issue at hand. Some are valid and may have two equally extreme positions but some do not. Sometimes, there is only a "right solution" and a wrong solution. What is your opinion? Just curious.
    The reason I pose this is because many in the media presents issues in this way. That sets the tone for debates and may not be a valid starting point.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
      Kathryn L Hillposted 12 months ago in reply to this

All opinions should be based on facts.
      Disagreements stem from not knowing what the ACTUAL facts are… what the truth is.
      How can we know?
      How Can We Know????????

Truth is not always agreed upon, based on ignorance ALONE.

jackclee lmposted 12 months ago in reply to this

Kathryn, I'm not sure you understood my question. The problem is not everyone agree on the same set of facts. The immigration debate is one prime example. The issue at hand is Kate's Law being proposed in Congress. It is a very specific law in response to a problem that killed a women name Kate Steinle in San Francisco. What seems to me to be a reasonable common sense law, is presented by the media for the most part as (an attack on immigrants). How can we have an honest debate when the "facts" are muddled by a dishonest media?

2. Carolyn M Fields profile image89
    Carolyn M Fieldsposted 12 months ago

I will try to answer your question this way (it comes from my personal statement of philosophy):
    I believe that true or genuine knowledge is not synonymous with “fact” – since “fact” is actually quite subjective.  True knowledge is that which emanates from the heart, and resonates with the soul.  Common knowledge is rarely common, nor truly knowledge.
    I believe that logic is a well studied branch of philosophy, and is very rigorous.  However, I have found that one fervent emotion can overcome all the logic in the world.  These I believe to be the correct principles of reasoning (logic).

So . . . more specifically in answer to your question - you are correct when you say that not everyone will agree on the same set of facts.  Additionally, one strong emotional argument will generally cause people to forget facts altogether.  I don't think that the media is "dishonest" so much as the individual journalists are swayed by their emotions.  You, as the consumer of media, need to make up your own mind by viewing multiple sources.  I don't know if I have helped you or not.  Just something more to think about.

Thanks for your insight. So you think the media gets a pass on this and we should rely on each of us to seek out the truth. That's the problem in my opinion. The majority of people does not have the time or inclination to do that. They will read the headlines or watch late night tv show and think they are getting the "fact" when they are really getting "spin". The politicians are no help when they use the media to their advantage instead of doing their job which is watch out for the people who elected them.

3. colorfulone profile image88
    colorfuloneposted 12 months ago

Most of the time there seems to be three sides to an issue. 
    I vote for the Rational Human Beings who think things through.

Here is some statistics -
      American public (38% Conservative, 34% Moderate, 24% liberal) according to gallup poll 2014.
      The media is 90% Democrat.
      Academia is 90% Democrat.
      Hollywood celebrities is 90% Democrat.
      And we are the "crazies" according to some Republican candidates and Congressman.