jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Elaborate graves are unspiritual

1. 59
    Ack Taneposted 11 months ago

The smaller and more anonymous your departure marking the better it is. If someone has taken a dislike to you it is harder to slight you if you do not have major or heavily ornate departure markings.

In countries where the living have difficulty to stay living they may take a resentment to such indulgence. Especially if the rites and suchlike were heavily dependent on the slavery of such countries.

Great physical markings represent quite the opposite of what has happened and therefore quite inappropriate.

Socially competitive people might try and make it look like they "care" more for "their" departed in cultures where highly explicit departure marking are the done thing.

The malcontented tend to dominate in industries where they can exploit a highly sensitive emotion to charge high rates as that is their preference over basic toil. The tend to dominate industries that are just not necessary and are about slowing things down.

1. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Your list of reasons not to have an elaborate grave (although compelling) don't appear to have anything to do with the spiritual either.

I don't know that people should waste money on such. It does seem rather silly to me. Once gone, you are gone from here. I guess people want others to remember them; but your memory lives on to those who knew you. Maybe they want to give future generations cause to pause and wonder who they were. To make their name live on in some way. In that sense, I suppose we can say it is unspiritual. But, then, from a spiritual aspect does it really matter one way or the other? I think that viewing the actions of others and attempting to determine the spiritual worth of those actions is also counter productive to spiritual growth.

2. DasEngel profile image61
    DasEngelposted 11 months ago

I'm doing a Ph.D. on snakes. I found some useful tips. The spirituality of the impoverished world is astounding. Thanks for the interesting info btw.

3. Disappearinghead profile image89
    Disappearingheadposted 11 months ago

"The smaller and more anonymous your departure marking the better it is" - in your subjective opinion. So what? If someone wants to spend their wealth on an elaborate grave, let them and who are we to disagree?