jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Would You Believe This?

1. Maina Ndungu profile image86
    Maina Ndunguposted 9 months ago

I'd like to know the reaction of fellow hubbers after watching this documentary.

1. Live to Learn profile image80
      Live to Learnposted 9 months ago in reply to this

49 minutes is a little long to ask someone to sit through. But, the gist of it is that there are conflicting theories on what happened after Jesus was crucified. I've seen several documentaries so have probably seen the theories and information in the video.

What do I think? I think that it would have been almost impossible for the movement to gain traction if the primary story line was different from that in the gospels and basically, a lie. It's a matter of faith and I don't see that it matters to me what others believe happened.

2. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 8 months ago

The problem is that Jesus doesn't exist outside the Bible, as for Moses, Noah, etc. These characters were probably loosely based on actual people and greatly exaggerated to fit the ancient writers needs. For instance Noah was based on a Sumerian fictional character, Utnapishtim, in the Epic of Gilgamesh who was instructed by the god, Ea, to build a reed boat to save the craftsman and the animals of the field from a killer storm brought on by the god, Enlil. Jesus was probably based on a local teacher/healer with radical ideas who was maybe crucified for something - who knows. 30 years later Apostle Paul gets wind of this story and runs with it. The Council Nicea took it further 250 years later and invented the Jesus character (and Easter) and made him the son of God.

3. Maina Ndungu profile image86
    Maina Ndunguposted 8 months ago

Thanks Paul for your comment.
    Are you a historian or what? Where can I get that story of Noah?