What do you think of these?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

John 20:29-31 (Young's Literal Translation)

29Jesus saith to him, `Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed; happy those not having seen, and having believed.'

30Many indeed, therefore, other signs also did Jesus before his disciples, that are not written in this book;31and these have been written that ye may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing ye may have life in

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Corinthians 12 (Young's Literal Translation)1 Corinthians 12

1And concerning the spiritual things, brethren, I do not wish you to be ignorant; 2ye have known that ye were nations, unto the dumb idols -- as ye were led -- being carried away; 3wherefore, I give you to understand that no one, in the Spirit of God speaking, saith Jesus [is] anathema, and no one is able to say Jesus [is] Lord, except in the Holy Spirit.

4And there are diversities of gifts, and the same Spirit; 5and there are diversities of ministrations, and the same Lord; 6and there are diversities of workings, and it is the same God -- who is working the all in all.

7And to each hath been given the manifestation of the Spirit for profit; 8for to one through the Spirit hath been given a word of wisdom, and to another a word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; 9and to another faith in the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healings in the same Spirit; 10and to another in-workings of mighty deeds; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits; and to another [divers] kinds of tongues; and to another interpretation of tongues: 11and all these doth work the one and the same Spirit, dividing to each severally as he intendeth.

12For, even as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of the one body, being many, are one body, so also [is] the Christ, 13for also in one Spirit we all to one body were baptized, whether Jews or Greeks, whether servants or freemen, and all into one Spirit were made to drink, 14for also the body is not one member, but many; 15if the foot may say, `Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body;' it is not, because of this, not of the body; 16and if the ear may say, `Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body;' it is not, because of this, not of the body?

17If the whole body [were] an eye, where the hearing? if the whole hearing, where the smelling?

18and now, God did set the members each one of them in the body, according as He willed, 19and if all were one member, where the body?

20and now, indeed, [are] many members, and one body; 21and an eye is not able to say to the hand, `I have no need of thee;' nor again the head to the feet, `I have no need of you.'

22But much more the members of the body which seem to be more infirm are necessary, 23and those that we think to be less honourable of the body, around these we put more abundant honour, and our unseemly things have seemliness more abundant, 24and our seemly things have no need; but God did temper the body together, to the lacking part having given more abundant honour,

25that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same anxiety for one another, 26and whether one member doth suffer, suffer with [it] do all the members, or one member is glorified, rejoice with [it] do all the members; 27and ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28And some, indeed, did God set in the assembly, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, afterwards powers, afterwards gifts of healings, helpings, governings, divers kinds of tongues; 29[are] all apostles? [are] all prophets? [are] all teachers? [are] all powers?

30have all gifts of healings? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31and desire earnestly the better gifts; and yet a far excelling way do I shew to you:

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think the easiest way to sum it up is that the Spirit is in all people regardless of their meanderings. So it is important to be together as each serves a purpose to the body of Christ. 

I guess if you lost a foot you would still know its' importance.

Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  It is a fact tht those who lose limbs still have a feeling that they are still there and attached to their body --as if it were never missing.

2. k@ri profile image87
    k@riposted 15 years ago

I think the scripture from Corinthians is a glorious explanation of how all are interwoven into one.  The purpose of the foot is very different than the purpose of the eye, however without the eye to see, it would be difficult for the foot to move.  Without the foot to move, the eye would be frustrated with all it saw.  All believers are important to the whole.

4And there are diversities of gifts, and the same Spirit; 5and there are diversities of ministrations, and the same Lord; 6and there are diversities of workings, and it is the same God -- who is working the all in all.

Do we not all work for the same things?  Just as different cultures have different rules and names for right and wrong, marriage, child rearing, could it not be the same for God?  How can there be so many "one true God"(s)?

In Genesis Chapter 11 it says "9 That is why it was called Babel [c] —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth."  He took the one, confused the language, and scattered them over the face of the earth.

Does it really matter what it is called?  Isn't what is in one's heart the true test?

I really love Corinthians, and I don't really know what you were asking Lady, but for some reason I am compelled to state my opinion.

Now here is where some people see discrimination the the Bible tht just is not there at all....where do you see in the first verses that ONLY *believers* are included in those parts of the body?  It doesn't say that at all.  How do you explain *adding* words to th Bible?  Who told YOU that it was only for believers?

1. Make  Money profile image68
        Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You posted it here LG.

No one that has the Holy Spirit (practicing believers) would say Jesus is anathema and no one is able to say Jesus is Lord unless they have the Holy Spirit (practicing believers).

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My father is an amputee. In fifty years of knowing my father he had "ghosting" in his lost hand for some time. TI can assure you that even in church owned hospital every doctor in that hospital had a medical reason for the ghosting, not one of them would agree with this religious answer to what is a medical symptom.

When Jesus healed, he did not call it a religious anything.  The miracles that were done during his time are not miracles today and so it will be that way with the miracles of today in the years to come.  Just because something is unseen (not known) does not make them religious or even a miracle.

The miracles that were done during His time are not miracles today?  What? roll

Well maybe you could feed a multitude of 3,000 or 5,000 with a half a dozen fish and a couple of pieces of bread for us please.  Or change water into wine.  Or walk on water. smile

Walking on Water--he walked on Ice as it was in the middle of winter there.

Feeding those many people is easy when you get others together and share.  Ever been to a family outing and had visitors that you didn't intend to have and suprrisingly there was enough food for everyone and you thought there wouldn't be enough.  Yes it happens today and I don't think it was a miracle.

Turning water into wine---lets see doesn't the bread and wine turn into the blood and body of Christ in the Eucharist? 

I was talking about the medical things he did and of course you would find these things---thinking you are funny and tongue in cheek!!  Hahahaha

2. earnestshub profile image81
              earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do not understand your answer. I stated quite plainly that there is a medical reason for ghosting in my fathers lost hand. How is this any sort of reply.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67

But some who are healed by Christ were not believers and yet they were healed.  All Jesus wanted from those whowent from him and as the Bibel says, didn't praise God--all he really wanted was for them to be grateful.
          Again it does NOT say anything about beleiveres.  You are interjecting that into the words that just are not there.

Of course, Jesus was proving who He is when He was on earth healing people.  Besides they were praising Him by trusting He would heal them.  And when Jesus was on earth He said that he would send His Holy Spirit.

Do you know what the word anathema means?

One definition is a detested person.

Have you ever heard anyone in these forums talk down about Jesus as if He was a detested person?  Of course you have.  Those people do not have the Holy Spirit in them.  For the same reason those people will not say that Jesus is their Lord, God and Savior.

You are mixing the Holy Spirit in some people with the Kingdom of God in everyone.  Think of the Kingdom of God within us as our conscience, everyone has the inherent knowledge of right and wrong.  But not everyone loves God because not everyone has the Holy Spirit in them.  Some people live in the flesh while others live in the Spirit.  Those that do have the Holy Spirit in them are part of the body of Christ.

....and you say that I don't have his spirit................hmmmmmmm interesting.  Did Jesus say who would and who wouldn't get the holy spirit------or did MEN like you say that?

2. Make  Money profile image68

Exactly, one body in Christ and they all make up the whole.

3. Make  Money profile image68
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

I didn't say you don't have the Holy Spirit.  But you might want to go back and read some of your own posts.  It seems like you are starting new threads just to get an argument going.

You would see it that way, since you like to *correct* me all the time.  Why can't you just discuss things and not point fingers or be open minded as to the things that I bring to the surface?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)