What is the biggest problem with Christians who do not study the Bible

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (62 posts)
  1. dianetrotter profile image62
    dianetrotterposted 7 years ago

In 10 words or less, what do you see as the biggest advantage of not studying the Bible on a regular basis.

Question directed at Christians.  Please stay on topic whoever decides to respond.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Limited words? No advantage whatsoever! Study is required by God.

dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Jackie for complying with request!  We have had some long winded people in the past that I encourage to get to the point!

Study is definitely required by God!  1 Peter 2:2  Desire the sincere milk of the Word that you may grow thereby.

Feel free to elaborate now that you have used 10 words!

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
          Paul Wingertposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to take a book that starts off with a talking snake and ends with a four-headed monster seriously. And don't forget the talking donkey and unicorns!

1. Live to Learn profile image60
            Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, now there's the biggest problem with not studying the Bible. There are no unicorns in there. Silly.

1. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trivia:  A Spanish friend of mine told me several years ago that she had an old Spanish Bible that used the word "unicorn".  When the KJV was released in 1611 is used the word "unicorn" in a few Scriptures. 

My friend learned English by reading a Spanish and an English Bible in unison.

I would be totally nuts after trying that!  I have to remember rules before I conjugate some verbs.

2. Live to Learn profile image60

Learn something new every day. I'll have to look into that.

She has been an inspiration for me ever since that day. 
                  I had no idea!  (acluistic)

I never thought to use a Bible to learn another language. It's a very bright idea.

2. dianetrotter profile image62

Whoa!  I can't wait to see that one on SciFi!!!

2. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image61
      Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You "gain" a hopeless life without God's illuminating Word.

I agree.  We don't know what is available to us when we don't study.  My uncle has gone to church 85 years plus.  He says he's a Christian but doesn't think he is good enough to get into heaven.  That's Christianity 101.

I tried to explain that Jesus Christ took our place with His blood sacrifice and we only need to accept the gift of salvation.  I can tell he is not understanding.  My sister says she's a Christian but doesn't believe Jesus is God.  The trinity is way over her head.

There are to many pastors that don't teach the Bible.  Unfortunately, many don't even KNOW the Bible.  I'm going to try to put a little booklet together to show my family the basics of salvation and the certainty of heaven.

3. Live to Learn profile image60

Biggest advantage of not studying the Bible?

The spirit of the law matters more than the letter.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
        PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

He will write His laws in their hearts and inscribe them in their minds. But the NT is a good place to find that out.

Once you find it out then you should act on it. Not search the word to find ways around it. That is my problem with a lot of professed Christians. Their actions and their words attest to a lack of desire to be the embodiment of the spirit of the law. They appear to search out justification for opinions and actions that are not in line with the message of Christ.

Live, I agree with you on many professed Christians.  They erroneously use the Bible to pump themselves up.  It should not be used to beat people down or feel less than other.  The two greatest commandments are 1) Love God with all of your heart, soul and mind and 2) love your brothers as yourself. 

When loving brothers as ourselves, our motives are critical.  Each time a passage is read or discussed new ways to love and serve should be revealed.  Reading the Bible and praying are having conversation with God.  When we read, God talks to us.  When we pray, talk to God.

Christians should be revealed by the way they live each day rather than what they say.  That revelation should come from knowing how God wants us to live.  We know by reading (hearing) His Word.

This past Monday, Donald Trump tried to throw shade on Hillary Clinton by telling evangelical pastors that Hillary never talks about religion.  He sounded really stupid and they didn't fall for it.

Donald Trump is a Christian who reads the Bible, he is a brother in the Lord.  The evangelicals are for Trump. His pastor was the late great Norman Vincent Peale, the author of "The Power of Positive Thinking" and many more.  BTW, you should read that, or listen to it on audio.

I don't know about that Color.  He saw 2 Corinthians and said 2 Corinthians, then blamed it on someone writing it that way.  It is always written that way.

He practices no self restraint when using terms like SOB, f***, etc.  If he is a Christian, he is a non-growing one or recently received Christ.

His favorite verse, "an eye for an eye."  I knew that verse before I learned to read.

You haven't noticed the mud Hillary and the media is throwing at Trump?  Most of it is false or its exaggerated from a mole hill into a mountain.  I don't care to get into politics on this thread. I just wanted to let you know that Trump is your brother in Christ...what you do with that is totally on you.  There is lots of mud to throw at Hillary, and Trump doesn't need to make things up or exaggerate one little bit. Hillary has the Muslim Brotherhood's support.

BTW, when you study the Bible you find out that there was a lot of swear words or cuss words but they were translated into milder words. 

1 Samuel 20:30 ►

Saul's anger flared up at Jonathan and he said to him, "You son of a perverse and rebellious woman! Don't I know that you have sided with the son of Jesse to your own shame and to the shame of the mother who bore you?

"son of a perverse and rebellious woman" is written "ben 'avah marduwth" in Hebrew which means SOB.

SHOCKING isn't it?

What should we call Mateen, who murdered 49 people and wounded 50+ other people?   

ADDED: where did Trump use the F-bomb?

The mud slinging is terrible.  She does through it at him.  He throws it at everybody.

2. Live to Learn profile image60

I'd have to agree with you there. Trump appears to be opportunistic on the question of religion. He appears to be pandering to the religious right. Those who want to be fooled on that count are.

Jerry Falwell's Introduction for Donald Trump at Liberty University
                    By their fruit you shall know them! --  Matthew 7:16-20
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC6KnhGTynU

Hi Live!  Not advantage - problem (disadvantage).

It sounds like you are saying, "If you read, you could become legalistic?"  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you!

I think it would probably be more like if you study, study, study you are legalistic. I realize we will never agree on that however my observation of Christians who claim to study a lot is that they are less Christ like and, to me, following in the footsteps of Christ beats following in the footsteps of anyone else, hand's down.

Edit. Also, I did see you were looking for problems with not studying. I simply don't see it as a problem.

1. Dr CHE Sadaphal profile image61
            Dr CHE Sadaphalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The objective, yet disheartening fact is that most Americans who call themselves Christian do not read the Bible more than once or twice per year. This has been validated yearly by the American Bible Society and the Barna group.

Those who don't read the Bible simply don't know. Lack of understanding leads to misinformation, susceptibility to false doctrine and thus non-Biblical beliefs and behavior. Indeed, the Word divorced from love for one's neighbor defeats the point, but there is only one exclusive place where God has revealed His divine will to us and there is only one legitimate source where anyone can read the source documents of the good news of Christ: the Bible.

A Spirit-filled life is animated by Spirit-inspired Scripture that points us to Christ who reconciles us back to the Father.

How will people know what is Christlike without reading about it?

Well, you do read it. But, you don't get bogged down in it. Once you understand what Jesus was here for, what he accomplished, what he wanted of us....then you work hard to live it. You don't need to search for anything else past that. There isn't anything inherently wrong with reading the text but few keep it in perspective. What I see is mostly people arguing over God, what he wants, what everyone else should be doing and why some are Christian and some aren't. They create stumbling blocks for others. They attempt to identify law through studying. Doing that causes us to ignore what Jesus said fulfills all the law. It's like people don't believe what Jesus said so they just look for other things to believe.

3. colorfulone profile image78

Luke 22 ►
            43 Then an angel from heaven appeared to Him and strengthened Him.
            44 And in His anguish, He prayed more earnestly, and His sweat became like drops of blood falling to the ground.
            45 When Jesus rose from prayer and returned to the disciples, He found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow.…

1 Peter 2
            21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His footsteps:

22 “He committed no sin,
            and no deceit was found in His mouth.”

23 When they heaped abuse on Him,
            He did not retaliate;
            when He suffered,
            He made no threats,
            but entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly.

24 He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree,
            so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
            “By His stripes you are healed.”

Christ's Example of Suffering
            (Isaiah 53:1-8; Matthew 26:57-68; Mark 14:53-65; John 18:19-24)

I hope He does not find me asleep.

I suppose we can all copy and paste. Here's one.
              Matthew 23

13 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either.[e]

15 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell[f] you yourselves are!

Pharisees and the scribes were the religious elite of the day.  They followed the Laws of Moses religiously  instead of the teachings of Jesus, the Law of the Spirit of life. 

Jesus Christ rebuked the Pharisees and the scribes harshly.  I wouldn't have much good to say about them either, except they sure did know the letter of the law well, but they could not keep it.

But those who run around quoting scripture, claiming they have a relationship with God so their opinions are always right are, pretty much, attempting to be pharisees. Don't see any reason not to see that passage as referring to them.

3. colorfulone profile image78

It is 'the law of the Spirit of life' in Christ Jesus. (the words of eternal life)
        Jesus said that His Words are Spirit and Life.

John 1:1  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Word is Logos in Greek, meaning God's will, God's Word. 

2 Timothy 2:15 King James Bible
        "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

...it is unto God by grace through faith in a spiritual relationship.
        Not unto men in a religious sense to control societies through dead works with the letter of the law.

I doubt we could see eye to eye on such as this. I've read your posts in the forums.

We all have different callings, and different relationships with the Lord. That is what makes us all unique.  You are special!

4. Angele Parris profile image60
      Angele Parrisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The biggest problem I have with Christians who do not study the bible is the Sabbath. Seventh-day worshipers comment that Sunday worshipers keep nine commandments and break one. Christ through revelation told Peter that on this rock He would build His church.  The catholic church pays tribute to Mary, have graven images of "Jesus" and worship on Sunday, which seems to be against the ten commandments.

Why is this a problem? Because it leads to many arguments.

The fourth command is remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. I tend to wonder if worshiping on Saturday, gives the devil a free reign to do his tempting, because God is resting on the Sabbath day.

And Jesus said that if you follow the two most important commandments you fulfill all others. So, is your complaint such a big issue?

We are to worship the Lord every day.  Remember those two love commandments are most important.  God said it!

Loving God is easy. I don't think anyone who believes in God has much trouble with that one.

The other commandment though. That's the toughest one to follow so has (in my opinion) been left to the wayside in modern religion.

2. profile image52
    CARLOS CUCHETposted 7 years ago

Who cares their both scum

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

Remove the plank from your eye first.

4. Destiny Cruz profile image57
    Destiny Cruzposted 7 years ago

People will not understand God as much

5. profile image62
    corinnposted 7 years ago

I do not find anything wrong with this, as long as the person is abiding by the content of the bible.  I attended Catholic school and church for a great part of my life, and I do not need to read the Bible on a regular basis, currently, to know what it says, and what God wants me to do.  My daughter has a Bible now, and she reads it regularly, but that is also her choice, even though we do encourage her, and let her know the importance of the religion.

That's the thing Corinn.  If you don't read it, how do you know what the content is.  We read books to know what is in them.

6. willmcwryter profile image55
    willmcwryterposted 7 years ago

the biggist problem with chirstans who don't read the bible everyday is they start beliving in evolution and thinking its ok to be tranny or gay. also if you dont read the bible you will get into kissing before marriage.

interesting way of stating it.

7. revmjm profile image87
    revmjmposted 7 years ago

The Bible is God's word for believers. The Bible is God's diary of what on His mind and what's in His heart. If Christians do not read the Bible, how do they know what God commands are?

Hi Revmjm!  I love your answer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)