jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Who Added The Verse Numbers To The Bible?

1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago

I doubt that GOD spoke like that.  So who ADDED those and to what purpose?  If you take them out of all the Bible it does then read like a story and not scriptures to be used individually to inflict harm or guilt in another.

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Mike should chime in here.  The original bible... well it didn't even include vowels lol.  If I remember correctly, the scriptures were written similar to quatrains (sorta) something about 30 letters per sentence, non of which contained vowels etc..

So, I guessing as to why numbers were added to mark the passages, I would think it was to keep as close to the original as possible but seeing how it isn't really possible for us to read them without vowels, they would have had to number them so that they coincide with the original document.

Not much to tell here.

2. Storytellersrus profile image84
    Storytellersrusposted 7 years ago

Lady Guinevere, what a great question!  For a definitive answer from an expert, go to http://www.bible-researcher.com/chapter-verse.html

I'm not sure I agree that the Bible even as story can't be used to inflict harm or guilt, though.  I think there are those who have need of always being right.  It keeps them feeling safe.

Maybe I'll Hub on that.  I've been thinking of writing something today, for the first time in a long spell of distraction.

Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It keeps them on their funny pedestal and the power of being right well that is EGO.

I shall like to see your new hub.
      I have a few that I am working on, not religious ones, but have been distrated all week--or ever since I started!  Kinda gets frustrating!

3. Make  Money profile image69
    Make Moneyposted 7 years ago

It would be kind of difficult to talk about a verse with someone by saying it's the 3rd sentence in the 4th paragraph on the 18th page in the 5th part of Paul's letter to the Galatians.  Oh shucks I forgot you are using a Bible with bigger pages that has more paragraphs on it. big_smile

Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You having a bad day there Mike?  There wouldn't be any power over everyone else if there wasn't any numbered scriptures.  I do hope that you feel good about using your "God-given" POWER over others.  Just more of that warm fuzzy feelings now isn't it.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

And if we didn't have them what would happen to all the John 3:16 Tee shirts?