Why do some christian religions bash on other christian religions?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (144 posts)
  1. caderade2 profile image57
    caderade2posted 14 years ago

It seems paradoxical that a "christian" religion would go out of there way to teach their members bad things about other christian religions.  Especially if they have a whole class on Sundays devoted to bashing other religions.  What's the point of doing that?  Why not just take that time to teach of Christ?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you gays should keep your opinion to yourselves. Naked men in your avatar is bound to disturb genuine christians.

Christ himself said "see not the naked man lest ye be tempted."

So take your naked man avatar back to atheist land where it belongs.

Yours in christ.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have found that those who appear to be most homophobic are actually a bit closeted themselves. It's a cover because they don't like who they really are. LOL Whether it's true or not, it seems to apply sometimes. Have no idea about you, Mark.

I was raised a Mormon. Mormons profess to be Christians, although apparently no one else in Christendom believes that.

Makes no difference to me. I no longer care for any established religion. I've finally learned I don't need any organization's permission to keep in touch or stay away from God.

2. Make  Money profile image66
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have heard that some "christian" religions have whole classes devoted to bashing other religions but I have never experienced it myself.  It really doesn't make much sense does it, especially when they could be spending the time teaching about the love of Jesus Christ.  I'd say beware of these so called "christian" religions.

P.S. Don't mined Mark.  He is the resident high priest of atheism.  He likes to try to scare new people that he thinks are Christian out of these forums.  Now he is even trying to disguise himself as a Christian by ending his post with "Yours in christ".  Just ignore him.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have actually witnessed this which is the reason I stopped going to church. Then I learned more on my own then I did at church because it made sense the parable of those calling themselves christian who are not.

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Mark was being sarcastic, and he has a good point to make.

3. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While it is most important to teach Christ, and Him risen, there are times when a serious student is going to need to take a look at what others believe.  However, I don't recommend this for Sunday morning.

When I was a teen, a guy I met tried to lead me into all sorts of things that basically amounted to witch craft.  He claimed they were of God, and often quoted the Bible, to support his cause.  I took careful note of what he said, and studied the quoted passages in context, only to find out that he was miss using the Word.

Not everything that calls itself Christian is.

1. earnestshub profile image80

No the problem is that religion teaches intolerance, and never looks at anything that disagrees with it.

1. Ivorwen profile image66

That may be true of religion.  I have looked at many things with which I do not agree, and have compared them to the Bible, sometimes finding myself in need of a new point of view. 

I make no claims to be religious, and have found myself to be a bane in the side of the religious more than once.  When I start to think that there may be a problem with my belief and understanding, I am reminded that Jesus was not favored by the religious of His day.

True.Not enough threats were made to satisfy the fire and brimstone mob.

1. Ivorwen profile image66

That is one way to put it.  smile

2. fishmox profile image60
          fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree.
          Look what religion did to Christ.
          They crucified Him.

4. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  big_smile  its not just limited to the Christians.Its called lack of understanding and foolish ego of MY religion and MY prophet being the greatest and best. smile

1. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then there's the Irish version of tolerance:
        You worship God the way you want and we'll worship Him the way HE wants!

1. mohitmisra profile image61

big_smile  big_smile big_smile big_smile

You would not have smiled if you understood it!

You don't understand the connection I have with Paraglider.

Sure same as I don't understand how incredibly popular you are.

True you have a poor understanding.

And you sir arstill displaying your ignorance for all to see!

2. Eng.M profile image65
          Eng.Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

respects
          who knows what God wants ?

It's called humour.

1. Eng.M profile image65

it's called I was kidding

2. mohitmisra profile image61

I dont have problem with Eng.M as he seems a nice person.Paraglider not everyone will understand your superb sense of humour. smile

1. dingdong profile image57
                dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you?

Love his humour. smile

5. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because many are not speaking directly from the word of God, and members are not reading the passages. So the answer to your question is simple , you have leaders and you have followers and some of the followers believe anything they hear and in turn , they become hypocrites and begin bashing other christians. That is why christians argue with other christians, just my own personal opinion. smile

6. Make  Money profile image66

Well it seems what we have here just one more thread of many threads that have been completely sidetracked by the godless.

The original topic was ...

But there's no sense in complaining to the Hub Pages administration because they never do anything about it.

Well in answer to the question. Clearly - the christian religions are full of irrational people who think they have an answer when they do not and are unable to resist the opportunity to tell every one else how right they are.

Which includes all the other christian cults.

Seeing as the bible is full of incomprehensible rubbish - this means no one can ever agree what it means and they are destined to spend all their time fighting and killing each other over who is right.

Pretty obvious I would have thought.

Why do you spend so much time knocking other christian's interpretations?

And I thought you had left us godless morons permanently.......

7. Juliet Christie profile image66
      Juliet Christieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religion is one of te worst things that has happened to society. If one could think about God without religion it would be so good. Religion is the method by which individuals seek to promote themselves.Most of the cruelest things that has ever happened to man it through religion. The cost of promoting the the Ide the ego the self. "I am right You are wrong, and I will kill you, fight you, disbar you, reddicule you until you accept that my religion is the right one." Who is the right God . Your God my God His God Or our God.

8. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not surprised to observe such among the so called Christians. It's typically showing you how the greatest virtue/power(LOVE) is missing among they doers. These were among the reasons Jesus was very much against the setup called Religion; where people make man for the law instead of law for the man. Take a very close look at such people, it doesn't matter their respective positions in the Church, they're simply angels at streets and devils at home.

Who made them Spiritual judges over others? Ignorance, Pride and Lack of Love in gross display. Without "Love" there's no "Law." This also calls for a review of the question "Who is a Christian?" as also discussed here in the forums  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/6243

1. countrywomen profile image60
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is such a profound statement. There are always some folks whose thoughts, words and actions aren't aligned. They may talk about love and all in public but at home maybe tyrants. At the same time there are some people who have different yardsticks to judge others and when it comes to themselves judge differently (i.e., if there own daughter or sister gets an "unwanted" pregnancy then a different yardstick is used but publicly preaching a different thing). smile

2. ledefensetech profile image69
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

So, for that matter, does atheism.  Why is it so important to prove yourself right, religionist or not.  Nobody is getting out of this alive and at the moment of death, we'll know for sure what lies after.  We waste so much time and energy fighting over something we'll all experience one day, what's the point?  Ego gratification?  Didn't we leave this all behind in the schoolyard or did we never grow up?  Live and let live.  I think Zen has a point in that most evil comes from ego.

I have not seen any any atheists making threats like religion does. As for ego, as long as religion claims to own the truth there will be those who logically oppose it not through ego, but in the honest desire to state that so called "religious truth" is just cowardice, ignorance or a combination of both.The Bible and Quoran for example are full of hate and intolerance for those who choose to think for themselves.To be intolerant of narrow minded bigotry is not ego based, it is a duty.

1. ledefensetech profile image69
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not yet there isn't.  Give it time.  Atheism as a belief system is so new yet, there has not been time for it to solidify and become violently intolerant.  You can see some glimmers of it in the far left of this country that espouse political correctness, but it's day will come.

And how do you know that "religious truth" is complete bunk?  Tell me, do you think you could create a sustainable society based on the antithesis of the Ten Commandments?  Or to be accurate, the Nine Commandments since you really don't need the veneration of an all powerful deity in order to get a society together.

Sure religious texts are full of excuses to hate, but so is your "non-religious" ideology.  To give you an example of "rationality" that killed just as many as religion, look no further than Communism.  It, too, proposes that by following it's tenets, society can enter a new golden age of peace and prosperity for all.  Sounds kind of like a version of Heaven, doesn't it?  When you look at the realities, millions butchered, gulags, torture, disappearances, it really starts to look like the witch burnings and Inquisition doesn't it?

Communism is supposed to be a rational way of living with it's own rules and mores, much like religion has it's rules and mores.  Religion claims to be inspired by divine revelation, while Communism claims to have "forces of history" behind it that will cause it to triumph over evil.

You may see it as a duty to "inform" misguided people about their beliefs, but in truth you're just as lost as they are.  Ask Misha how tolerant and forgiving the Sword and Shield of the Party was to those who wanted to think for themselves.

Except that historicism as employed by Marx was blown apart as long ago as the 1940s by Karl Popper in "The Open Society and its Enemies". Communism is not an example of Rationalism.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Clearly you do not understand atheism. It is not a belief system.

I understand that in your world - there is only belief systems, but it may surprise you to know that some people make rational decisions based on the information at hand.

I certainly see glimmers of a backlash against religionists.

People are indeed fed up of having christianism and muslimism shoved down their throats.

This may turn violent I suppose, as human nature is to fight against oppression. I for one am sick and tired of being spoken to as though I am an ignorant child who is in trouble with god for not doing as I am told. I am also sick and tired of the use of this imaginary god to justify all sorts of poor behavior.

I do hope it does not turn violent, but I have to say the most aggressive behavior I see tends to be from people justifying their beliefs (as you seem to be doing).

It is fair to say - the idea of an all powerful super being has never been questioned on the scale to which it is being questioned at the moment. I actively work towards removing religion and the self righteous crap many religionists promote.

Who will throw the first stone? From what I see, I have a feeling it will be a defender of the faith.

Don't you?

Yes I do. I have had threats made against my children from god-botherers who came to my door to convince me to believe in their little god.When I stated my case, they lost it! I have never had an atheist confront me on my property, or heard of some athiest running from door to door selling me their beliefs.
            It is no fun trying to explain to a crying four year old that the threats made against her are from someone who is "not well"

Now that is seriously funny Mark, I may start doing the same!

2. ledefensetech profile image69
            ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure atheism is a belief system.  You believe that there is no creative force behind the universe, that it all happened according to random change.  Your universe can be described using the scientific method as well as various tools derived from that method.  You spend an inordinate amount of time being disrespectful and rude to people who do not share your beliefs and are deliberately insulting to them.

Intead of being honest and saying that *you* are fed up with Christian and Muslim morality being shoved down your throat by evangelical religionists, you claim that "people", whatever that means, are fed up with it.  In attempting to remove religion and its "self-righteous crap", you too have fallen into the same trap that bedevils many of the faithful.  If the faithful use "some imaginary being" to justify bad behavior, then they've just proven their lack of faith haven't they?

I'm sorry you let others make you feel like a child, but that's no excuse for your behavior in belittling other people.  I, for one, am willing to allow you the benefit of the doubt in regards to your beliefs, the least you could do is extend the same courtesy to others.  Honestly, why fight.  If they're rude, abusive and thickheaded, then they've just proven your point by their actions, have they not?

As for things turning violent, it always takes two parties in order for there to be a battle.  Don't think you're immune just because you don't use a higher power to justify your bad deeds.  The human mind has an infinite number of ways to justify evil outside religion.  Even a shallow reading of history will prove that.

It doesn't matter who throws the first tone.  What matters is that there are groups out there who are willing to shove *their* beliefs down other people's throats and that includes non-religionists as well as religionists.  If you think someone is delusional for believing in a higher power, whatever the name, brand, flavor, etc., what is the big deal with letting that be.  Are you that insecure about yourself that you can't let it go?  Do you need to fight that badly?

earnetshub if people are accosting you on your property then ask them to leave or call the cops, don't sit there and debate them on your front porch where your family are, man.  That's just not smart.  You know what I do when evangelicals come to my door?  I thank them for their concern and regretfully inform them that I don't have the time to speak to them and close the door.

Paraglider, I'm in total agreement with what you said.  Adherents of Communism, on the other hand, extol the virtues of Communism and claim it's very rational, to the point of being atheist and it's use of the dialectic as proof of its rationalism.

No - you are wrong. It is a non belief system. smile Is that too difficult to grasp?

I do not believe there is a god.

I do not believe it all happened according to random chance.

I am disrespectful and rude to people who are disrespectful and rude to me.

I do not insult people. Please - if you are going to accuse me of something - back it up by quoting what I have said.

I was honest. I was also referencing other "people" feel the same way. Here are a few links to other "people" who feel the way I do:

http://richarddawkins.net/
              http://www.atheists.org/
              http://www.venganza.org/
              http://www.rationalist.com.au/
              http://www.rssl.org/

Hope that is clear as to what "people" means.

And there you are putting words into my mouth. In a condescending fashion as well.

I said no such thing. Please read what I said - which is that people treat me as though.

I am sorry you seem unable to understand what I said. I suggest an education.

What bad deeds are they exactly?

"For evil to triumph all that is necessary is that good men do nothing."

I really do not appreciate your condescending tone. And it is fair to say that this is one of my (and other's) issues when dealing with people who think they are representing an invisible magical super being in the sky.

Some things are worth fighting over. Or do you really need to fight that badly? wink

Stop shoving it down my throat and I shut up.

2. earnestshub profile image80
      2. Eng.M profile image65

one from bible
        one from Quran

please

Bible:

Genesis 17:14 "And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant."

Quran:

2:24 "guard yourselves against the Fire prepared for disbelievers, whose fuel is of men and stones."

3. Eng.M profile image65

respects to ya
        I think it could be either or both

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I don't consider myself "religious" but I am very, very spiritual. I identify as a Christian but I am not dogmatic.

4. ledefensetech profile image69

That is an insult to people.  The guy just asked a question and you jumped all over him.  There was no provocation, you started the fight.  You could have passed by, but you didn't.  So much for your kind not casting the first stone.

The absence of a belief is still a belief tongue is that so hard to grasp?

Great you found people that think like you do.  Congratulations.  That still doesn't mean that you can presume to speak for them or anyone else of that matter, you can only truly speak for yourself.

If it didn't bother you and at least make you feel a little like a child, then why reference it at all?  Surely the opinion of others doesn't mean that much to you.

None that I know of, but there's always tomorrow.  Only you know what you've really done that's good or evil.  That's between you and whatever you believe in or don't believe in as the case may be.

What yardstick do you use to judge that you yourself are not evil?

I'm sorry you feel that way.  Perhaps I feel the same towards you.

Again, you chose to come in here and attack some poor guy, then you have the audacity to claim that people are shoving their beliefs down your throat.  Perhaps they do in real life, but here you had the choice to do something else, instead you chose to do battle.

Me.

Not going to make an enormous un-readablle requote.

And as to your inability to understand that a lack of belief is not a belief - I am not really sure what to say other than I am truly sorry you are unable to grasp a basic concept like this.

I do not believe that there is a god, santa claus or that I can fly.

Why is making fun of your religion an insult?

I thought it was funny and I will continue to make fun of your irrational beliefs and condescending tone.

It is better than throwing stones.

Just remember what jesus said:

"Accuse not those of fighting when you are representing an invisible super being who died for your inane sins, yet attack the unbeliever because he is a danger to your irrational beliefs."

Ramen. big_smile

1. caderade2 profile image57
        caderade2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was joking.

But - while we are on the subject - what is wrong with being gay?

5. ledefensetech profile image69

That's because you're intellectually lazy.  I addressed your points one by one because I figured you'd be interested in a discussion, but based on what you've posted since you've come across as an arrogant, elitist.  So there's really not much more to say.  Pity.

That's what makes you insulting.  All you care to do is pick fights and mess with people because you feel put upon by certain groups of people when they make you feel bad.  It's nice to see we've all grown up beyond the schoolyard stage. 

As for my beliefs you know nothing about them.  If you think I care about what you think of me, you're sorely mistaken.  Poke fun all you want, but in doing so you may miss something profound.  But what do you care?  You're just in it to try to anger people.  Such a small petty thing.

Well, as far as I am concerned, being courteous to other forum users is not intellectual laziness.

You did not address my points. You merely repeated the same thing you had already said and began a whole series of new points.

Most of your comments were not worth addressing and I do not really see the point in saying "It is not a belief" again to have you say "It is a belief," once more. I understand that is the level of discussion you are interested in but you keep repeating the same thing over and over will not make it come true.

I am sorry you let me make you feel you have been insulted. I am also interested that you know what I am thinking. Sarcasm aside - It would appear that you are the one behaving like a schoolgirl.

I do not feel put upon, I just feel strongly about certain things and am prepared to argue my case.

What makes you think I think you care about what I think of you? Can you read my mind also?

You have missed something profound.

Although - if this is such a small thing - why are you attacking me in this fashion? Because I think a belief in an invisible super being is funny?

Sorry - it is funny and I will continue to make fun of it. I don't really care what you think but I will continue to try and explain the difference between believing in something and not.

The simple fact is - I see no reason to believe in a god. And the single solitary reason I need to say so - is the people who keep telling me there is one.

A-theism is the absence of belief in a deity. Absence being the operative word.

I do not know what your beliefs are - but as you have singled out those who do not hold a monotheistic belief system for your diatribes, I suspect you believe in one god. But feel free to be profound, so I can make fun of it.

1. profile image0

Really?  According to Dawkins Atheism is "anti-theism". I think according to his scale, you are what he calls a "gnostic atheist". Very rare, Dawkins isn't not even that extreme.

I think this puts you in the same boat as the "gnostics" both are completely incompatible people because both live to extremes.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sandy, who is Dawkins and why are you using him as the highest authority?

Guess you have never read any of Mr Dawkins' books then?

Did he convert as well?

Actually I pretty much agree with his assessment:

"a supernatural creator almost certainly does not exist and belief in a personal god qualifies as a delusion." Richard Dawkins

1. aka-dj profile image65
            aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did I read that correctly, or was he mis-quoted. I believe he used the word "almost". That's leaving some doubt in his assertion.
            INTERESTING ! hmm

Probability Theory correctly applied. He is saying that the odds against such a creator existing are extremely high. However, as we've discussed before, it is logically impossible to prove non-existence. So Mr Dawkins is merely being precise in his expression.

2. profile image0

Yes I did read it and I do have it.  I was just pointing out that the "master" of atheist is not even as extreme as you are.  He also said that most people who are theist, mono or otherwise are actually atheist in they (most) do not believe in a white bearded man hanging out in the sky. 

But you have clearly taken Dawkins' work and formed your own ideas about his assertions and are in other words, falsifying his work for those out there who have not read it making Dawkins look like a monster when in fact, Mr. Dawkins is nothing of a monster and does understand the possibility of their being a god.

I found most of his assertions to be correct accept for two things:

If a person has seen God in some sort of manifest way.  The person is gnostic and says Yes there is a God. Formed by personal experience.

on the other hand..

If a person says, No there is no God then the person is gnostic formed by the experience of never having personally experienced it.

It seems that atheist can only be agnostic atheist. To be considered "sane".

I mean, it just seems strange to be so aggressively spiteful about something you claim to know does not exist, when you yourself also say that there is no way to prove it either way. 

One asserts by personal experience.  The other from no experience, so what are you butt hurt about?  Even though I think you are just fine and a good person over all, I think you have some issues and they come from experience with life's experience and you want to feel better about it so you make fun of other people.

I know you really can't understand it.

I understand it perfectly well thank you.

It is you who has not understood. Or read any of his books I suspect wink

But let me put it this way - I have personal experience of what you call god.

And it is not a god.

And you certainly do not have 10 simple rules for me to live by given to you by this god.

I don't know who is feeding you these selective Richard Dawkins' sayings but he is pretty aggressively anti religion. And against religious schools.

It is indeed impossible to prove a negative. Which is why Mr Dawkins chooses his words carefully.

There is no personal experience that can lead you to believe there is a god. Only a delusional belief. wink

Tell you what - you stop telling me there is a god and that you have a set of rules for me from this god - And that you think I am a liar, or angry or spiteful. Or have issues to work out.

I will stop making fun of your beliefs.

Deal?

Although - why is it you think that some one who asserts that there is a god and believes there is a set of rules for everyone does not have issues?

1. profile image0

When have I ever told you "you have to live by some rules?"  I personally have never told you this. 

Then what was it?  a delusion perhaps?  You just don't make sense. - I have been asking over a year now, what happened and even though you say you have told us what happened, you never have. why?-

A life without any rules is destruction as well as a life with too many rules. 

I read Dawkins for myself, just like I read the bible and other books to myself and form, just like you, an opinion of them, however I try to stay on the positive side and give the benefit of the doubt.

Now, I did call you a liar once and I already apologized for that. But I really do feel like you are angry and spiteful to some degree and this is also what you see in me and others as well who don't believe or disbelieve (lol) the same things.

So - what did you think of Mr. Dawkins' assertion that there cannot have been a creator for evolution to make any sense.

We will have to agree to disagree on the other stuff. I don't see you calling out the believers who argue against abortion and gay marriage as being wrong in god's eyes though. wink

1. Eng.M profile image65

so why did Darwin call his book the Orgin of Species while talks about revolution, natural selection ...

some edittions have a different name
                    do you know what it was ?

2. Eng.M profile image65

so why did Darwin call his book the Orgin of Species while talks about revolution, natural selection ...

some edittions have a different name
                    do you know what it was ?

may be God has his own rules
                    we , as grains of sand, have limited knowledge
                    limited brain

it may evolve ( I mean brain)

3. profile image0

I suppose if it were so, then the theory of creation would have multiple sources and doesn't fair well with a monotheistic belief system.  hence atheism. 

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.  As for the last comment... of course not... I don't know what is good for each person as a individual and also understand the tremendous weight bares so what can I do other then be pro-choice?

6. ledefensetech profile image69

You're a funny little man.

Ummmm.

Very profound. lol

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Come on LDT, you can do better than this smile

7. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I believe that the time has come for us to join habitations once again with our ancesters, "The Apes," and return with them who we are unquestionably related to; (proved beyond a shadow of a doubt by logical guesses -oops I mean educated theories- and radiocarbon dating) and thus we shall discover the mysteries of the big bang theory!

8. profile image0

Join me and together we will erect a giant biodome to escape from the prepetual decay that lies ahead. Monkeys are where it's at! There we will teach them to play Dungeons and Dragons in a sanctuary where we can pick our noses in peace!!!!

Go for it. But I'll not be joining you. Your inane remarks would be insufferable in a closed space.

Hellish even............ big_smile

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I propose that we waste millions in tax dollars sending rocket propelled ships to mars, so we can collect enough rocks to build a replica of mount Everest, then we can all go back there to live. It's not just an airless desert any more, it's an airless desert with consession stands!!

9. Justin Rhinehart profile image59
    Justin Rhinehartposted 14 years ago

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge fan of Richard Dawkins' work.

A man in Dawkin's position has to choose his words very carefully. His arguments are based on facts and near-absolutes, and even the slightest mistake he might make comes under heavy fire by creationists and all those who disagree with his ideas.  He has a laundry list of near-militant enemies who will stop at nothing to try and degrade people's opinion of his work.

10. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

So, what's wrong with saying
    "a supernatural creator almost certainly does exist and belief in a personal god qualifies as a viable position to take."
    Me.

This is irrational. big_smile

Not to me.
        But who cares anyway? (about both I mean).

Well - you asked what was wrong with saying what you said.

Who cares? I guess you and I do wink

2. Justin Rhinehart profile image59
        Justin Rhinehartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been on this site for less than 2 hours, and I think I already found my favorite Hubber.

aka-dj,
        No matter how much you love your religion, you have to admit that it's not possible to prove a good 99% of the things that happened in the bible, and your church is far from infallible.
        However, the signs of evolutions have been lying in the earth for millions of years, and provide a solid record of events from times before the written word.  No matter who you are, you have to agree that it doesn't take a scientist to sit down and write stories.

He meant ME. lol lol lol
            Ah. . . . Maybe not. lol lol lol

Well if it makes you feel any better - you are one of my favorites wink

Thanks. That's nice of you.
                I will take that thought to sleep. Till we meet again, in the WW of HP. cool

1. Justin Rhinehart profile image59
                  Justin Rhinehartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to say, I admire the fact that you don't immediately blow up like many people of faith do when this conversation comes up.  Goodnight, new friend.

11. profile image57
    prince1244posted 14 years ago

They do it to feel superior. Someone once said if poor people did not have religion they would tried to kill all the wealthy people

12. Justin Rhinehart profile image59

It's not about caring, it's about logic.
    You're choosing to not believe in logic and science, and instead opting to believe in... whatever you may believe.

Riddle me this:
    Say you're living a few thousand years ago with no established government.  What's the easiest way to get people to play nice? Altruism.  Tell them that there's an angry guy watching who's just waiting to judge them after they die.  Early on, religion was made so people would play nice.  After governments were formed, people clung to their beliefs because they thought that their god could control things governments couldn't.

You care!
      Why post on it if you didn't care? It's neither irrational nor is it illogical.It all has to do with where you stand. (your worldview).
      As for the "angry guy", I don't believe in him, either. Not sure about your explanation on the origins of religion either. sad

13. Justin Rhinehart profile image59

It's not that I even care about what other people think on the topic; I'm not here as part of a recruitment program. I joined this discussion with the intent of stating my opinion and discussing/arguing it (if that makes sense, I can't really verbalize it any better.) I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools all throughout, and after seeing all the horrible things the church has a history of condoning, I denounced my faith.

What I was trying to say in my explanation about the origin of religion was that there were 2 different sects of people in ancient times: those with superior knowledge/political power, and those with superior numbers.  In order to keep things peaceful and stay in charge, the small group at the top had to out-think the group at the bottom.  They came up with an elaborate belief system to encourage them not to kill one another.

This is a good premise, but I have a feeling the original intentions of the early religions were a little more altruistic.

What to do when asked the question - "Where does that big ball of fire in the sky keep coming from oh lord and master?"

All downhill after that once you say you have an answer. big_smile

Depending on your perspective..........

14. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

I couldn't leave you Mark, this is too much fun.  My point was that the question was addressed to Christians by a Christian.  I'll continue to try to correct mostly non-Christian interpretations of the Bible and discuss verses with other Christians in a peaceful way.  There is a big difference in that compared to some so called "christian" religions devoting whole classes to bashing other Christian religions.

Ah - yet you complain about me to admin. Interesting.

Although - I have seen you arguing with other "christians" also.

You can't tell me you do not know about the wars that have been fought over interpretations of the bible? Surely you are aware of them?

But you keep on "correcting" those misinterpretations. I am sure they will love you for it. wink

And I don't think this question was directed at christians solely.

15. profile image0

"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." -Marx

The briliant words of a mass murderer!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Karl Marx never murdered anyone...

1. Make  Money profile image66

The Communist Manifesto written by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels brought about the death of close to 100 million people in the 20th century.  So who celebrated May Day yesterday?

I did. In the morning my first words were "white rabbits", the only correct way to welcome the month of May. May Day has been celebrated for hundreds of years. The Communist association is very recent. Thomas Morley wrote -

Now is the month of maying,
          When merry lads are playing,

Each with his bonny lass
          Upon the greeny grass.

The Spring, clad all in gladness,
          Doth laugh at Winter's sadness,

And to the bagpipe's sound
          The nymphs tread out their ground.

Fie then! why sit we musing,
          Youth's sweet delight refusing?

Say, dainty nymphs, and speak,
          Shall we play barley-break?

Culture is not all about butchery - May is the start of new life.

Still not understanding why non-religious killings make it OK to kill in god's name?

Is this supposed to be some sort of justification for your religiosity?

Don't get it Make Money. Sorry. Especially as you are always bleating on about the evils of capitalism. Confused as always about why it is OK to have sex with children and kill people because god says so. And some communist BS proves it is OK. Just not getting it.

Wait a minuet......

Unless you are saying religion is just as bad as any other political control system. In witch case we agree - and this pretty much proves there is no god I guess. Nice one. Thanks.

lol

Try and stay on topic though. I nearly reported you to admin for straying off-topic. This thread is about why christian cults are always attacking other christian cults and never practice what they preach others should do.

Oh - and I was forced to celebrate May Day on account of nothing works here on Labour day lol

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
            Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here - I was forced to celebrate, too, through drinking lots of wine and enjoying a meal with friends.

I blame Marx.....big_smile

Well, I was thanking Marx actually. I needed a day off. And two bottles of wine on top of several glasses of Pastis apparently...... big_smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
                Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup - Celebrating Labour Day surely is a downward spiral to totalitarianism and genocide.

I was too drunk to do anything of the sort. Although - I do understand why Marx apparently killed off all the religious nutcases.

According to Islamic rules - they were asking for it. wink

1. Make  Money profile image66

But you know yourself that the reason why Marxists killed off just about 100 million people in the 20th century, mostly Christians was not to comply with Islamic rules.  It was because they work on behalf of God's main adversary.

Maybe someone could tell me what religious wars there have been in the last 100 years.  ???

Sorry I should have asked who waved their red flag yesterday?  Mark? smile

2. profile image0

I was simply comparing a good religion (Christianity)with a bad one (Communism); Where one believes in the god given right to free will, and the other is Communism!

2. profile image0

Niether did Hitler

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Karl Marx was a writer. It was not his responsibilty for the ways his words were exploited. He was not a politician, he did not work for the Soviet Government. He died long before the Russian Revolution.

Blaming Marx for all the murders committed under Communism is like blaming Jesus for all the murders committed under Christianity.

1. profile image0

My point exactly!!!! Thanks! Except Jesus wasn't antisemetic.

2. Make  Money profile image66

Marx was commissioned by the Communist League and we know the first thing the communists did after the Russian Revolution was attack organized religion.

From The Communist Manifesto

16. belief713 profile image60
    belief713posted 14 years ago

In response to the original question: Why do some christian religions bash on other christian religions? Most of what others touched on - ego. Too many Christians (and denominations) are self-righteous and feel the need to prove their way right over another way. This I don't understand because even Jesus didn't feel the need to do this. If you pay attention to times he was questioned in the Bible, he always answered in a way so as not to condemn.

P.S. I don't remember who made the comment about HubPages not doing something about, I guess, atheists... and I'm too lazy right now to go back and look - but just like believers are allowed to express their opinions in the forums (especially the religious forum) then why shouldn't non-believers, without recourse? That would then make HubPages prejudice. Sorry, I may have misunderstood - if I did, let me know.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
      Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is most of the reason that I stay out of the religion forum. I can avoid being offended by avoiding what offends me, but I am NOT going to tell the atheists here that they don't have the right to talk about the things that are important to them. As I've said in one of my hubs, I believe that atheists are just as well intentioned as most "religious folk." And that is a lot of the reason that you'll find them posting here, too, I think. Could be wrong of course!

17. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

If everyone stayed on topic in these threads you wouldn't even be posting in this thread my commy friend. lol

18. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Neither is correct...that was my point...

1. profile image0

That is one person's opinion.

19. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

The Communist Manifesto did not cause the Russian Revolution. It provided a focal point if you like, but the revolution was coming anyway, would have gone much the same way and power would have ended up in the same hands even if the document had never been produced.

20. profile image52
    Robubbaposted 14 years ago

Well, would you like it if people simply adopted the Jesus Christ dyeing for you doctrine at the end of the bible, and simply ignoring everything else that comes with it.  It's a relationship, not a license to sin.  So when people pick out doctrines and verses to come up with something ungodly, it ends up making all branches of Christianity infamous. That's why it's so important to know what is truth yourselves and what isn't.  Which is what the classes are for. We can take an example from the olden days.  Slavery is indeed in the bible, and laws allow for it.  However, "christians", would extrapolate that and ignore the laws that say you should treat your servants kindly.  Therefore, slaves were treated like crap by some plantation owners, and the entire Christian church was blamed for that.

If we were to parallel that with say atheism... Would an athiest like it if people hated him because a group of self proclaimed Asian athiests would lynch all blacks and Caucasians because they think they are evolutionary rejects, and need to be destroyed?  That's what happens to the church. However, the church will do GOOD things in the name of Christ, but everyone will hate them anyways.  That is a completely different topic though.

21. mirandalloyd profile image60
    mirandalloydposted 14 years ago

Like radical Christians, radical Atheists do not stand for all Atheists. My best friend happens to be an Atheist and she doesn't insult me for reading about Buddhism or Hinduism. Unfortunately it's just the very vocal minority that tends to give a bad name to everyone involved.

If everyone followed every single law in the Bible to the letter:

*Women wouldn't be able to wear pants of any kind, and would have to be kept in a separate house during "that time of the month"
    *Slavery would be legal
    *Girls would be married around 12
    *No more pork chops or ham
    *We would have a monarchy/theocracy, not a democracy

Just some things to keep in mind.

Ancient Rome wasn't much better, though. Before Christianity afforded some rights to women (being able to become a nun, for example), women were the property of their fathers and later their husbands. Look to the story of Lucrecia, a Roman woman who was raped. She dutifully reported it to her husband and father, and then killed herself. ...this was supposed to be what every Roman woman aspired to.

The point is, every religion has its good points and its bad points. Just remember that ancient laws have little to no bearing in the modern world...and that everyone is entitled to their opinion, so don't hold that against other people. wink

22. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

We have a republic in the US...or rather we are suppose to be a Republic big_smile

I believe that the mainstream accepted story of every aspect of Jesus and Christianity is not exactly what they have come to claim.

23. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Its all about control I tell ya!!!

24. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Because people don't have anything better to do. Nuff said.

1. JonTutor profile image60
      JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good call...Gosh.... Even now there is a discussion about Mormons.

25. dabeaner profile image59
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

Because god has spoken personally to me, and you are just deluded.

But seriously, in am argument, it is quite possible, usually always, that both sides are wrong.  Such is a belief in "God".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)