Is There Life After Death?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Reluctant Revival profile image56
    Reluctant Revivalposted 7 years ago

Do you think there is life after death? Or do you think that once you die, that is the end of your existance?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jesus rose after his "death." Are we not spiritual beings as He was? How can spiritual beings die?
      They cannot. smile

2. Oztinato profile image74
      Oztinatoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Science is now proving there are in fact many other dimensions of existence AND that God exists. The scientists who discovered M theory or String Theory are now claiming that God exists due to the sheer weight of mathematical evidence.
      Hence as other dimensions exist and as God exists the argument for the existence of an after life is looking very substantial and not at all fanciful.
      Time for a few local atheists to humbly get on their knees and have a few repentant words to God smile

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mathematical evidence proves the existence of a god?  What, 2+2 now equals god? 

Don't be ridiculous.

1. Oztinato profile image74

As you know M theory is a tad more than 2+2.
          There are atheists on record at HP (no names mentioned of course) who have been claiming for years if science presents more proofs then "of course they will change their beliefs".
          Well the proofs are coming in and the said unmentionable atheists won't even look at it.
          Why? That's a rhetorical question.

What proofs are coming in?  Certainly not M theory - that has nothing to do with the existence of a god.

As usual you don't read the news or the latest scientific developments and as usual I won't do your homework.
              Perhaps you need to spend less time on HP and catch up with developments?

http://hubpages.com/education/answer/26 … -existence

Sorry, but I call BS on that one.  No particle is evidence of a god, regardless of what it does, how it is made or anything else.  You want me to believe that it will most definitely take more than "so and so thinks it is evidence".  I'll even point out that those that answered your "question" agree with my stance.

Find a peer review of Kaku's work, with others agreeing.  Find his experimental evidence, and where it has been reproduced.  Find something beyond "I conclude there is a god because natural laws have to have been made by a god".

It is clear that although you keep saying you'll look at evidence and research, you flatly refuse to. All advanced science is conjectural but you and certain nameless others only treat atheist- turned-believer scientists as no longer authoritative.
                  If you apply the same standards to such "God science" as with ordinary science you would already be a believer. Instead you apply a double standard. "Proof" in your book is when you can see a giant white bearded man in the clouds! This infantile idea seems to be your view of what people are claiming God to be.
                  An objective person would simply by now allow the possibility of God's existence due to M Theory and Kurt Godel's God Theorem.

What evidence?  You have produced a physicist saying he believes in a god, but without reasons or the mathematics to show the truth.  That is hardly mathematical evidence of anything at all.

I asked for peer reviewed work - the exact same thing ALL science requires - and your response is that we don't ask other science for the same thing.

Godels Theorem basically says that if we can imagine a god then it has to exist - that is hardly proof of a god, either.  It also proves the FSM and the pink unicorn living under my bed - do you accept those a true, too?

But you've also gone from a mathematical proof of a god to the possibility of a god existing - the two are far different and no reasoning person can deny the possibility of an invisible, undetectable god in another universe.  That one doesn't need a mathematical proof; it only needs recognition that we do not know everything there is to know.

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not sure how true this is or not, but one of my exes once told me that not only do we exist in other dimensions, to where if one dies they go on to live in another dimension, but apparently in the after life there's like a spirit world where you get counseling before you return to the human realm.  She also said that the reason why you might bump into other people that hate you, for practically no reason at all, is because you allegedly killed that person in another life, so anything you say or do will rub them the wrong way.  Same way with you if you run into someone who somehow  pisses you off just by them being them, as it's because they killed you in a previous life.  Of course, I think she may have been insane though, but there's a lot of things she said that made a lot of sense to where it's kind of scary.

4. profile image52
      Setank Setunkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Divine creation: I Believe
      Human spirituality and/or sentience: No Way
      The After life was born of human vanity and self importance. Humankind is a parasite that is consuming the planet to satiate it's lust for pleasure and self gratification.
      Horace said: "Pulvis et umbra sumus".

5. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think there is a different sort of existence but what that may be is entirely open to conjecture. I'm a fan of the idea that each belief structure has some basis of truth without being entirely accurate. Like reincarnation.

We have ample evidence that some do have memories of lives past that only reincarnation can explain. But they are few and far between. We have some evidence of other worldly beings but, again, testimony is few and far between. Prophets of events to come have come and gone.

I'm inclined to believe that, for the most part, our essences are reabsorbed into the consciousness of the universe with some anomalies existing within that model.

6. Shayra james profile image58
      Shayra jamesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are two portals through which our souls make existence on earth, one is birth and second is death. It doesn't mean that after death the life is over. What gets over is the motive of living.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

Yes, there is life after death but most just go to sleep on the astral plane and wait till next time around. We have one soul, but take on many bodies. Each body and lifetime is completely different from the one before.
    In this sense we only have one life ... and this is it.  Until we try another brand new one ... again and again and again … Fortunately we do not remember past lifetimes. It would be too much of a burden.

3. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 7 years ago

there's no reason to believe that after you die wont be any different than before you were born...remember that?

1. Live to Learn profile image61

I had a senior moment about half an hour ago. I still can't remember those few moments. Does that prove they didn't happen?

1. cheaptrick profile image75
        cheaptrickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You remember existing while you had your 'senior' moment or you would not have mentioned it,so it's not the same thing.Do you remember existing before you were born?
        Self awareness is the foundational question we should be discussing;everything else depends on it.Life after death?Does it matter if you have no self awareness?Heaven and hell?Dose it matter without self awareness?Some Really Smart folks are even debating when are you dead!Is it when the body dies...or is it when your self awareness stops?
        Twenty years in a coma;you wake up and remember nothing...did it really happen?We know that reality is subjective;we here from others that it did happen...but that was for them! not you!What are the limits of identity...of self awareness...of experiential confirmation that we need to be sure of anything?

Honestly, I have no recollection of that time so, no, you couldn't say I remember existing during that time. I remember what I was doing prior to that moment and what I was doing when I became aware again but not during that time. I can assume that I did not cease to exist during that time (and that would be a logical assumption) but my point was that simply because we cannot tick off a list of things observed and done at any given moment it does not mean that moment did not happen. That we did not exist.

I am right there with you on much of what you mentioned. However, we aren't talking about this plane of existence. We are pondering others. I have no problem with anyone not believing in heaven or hell. I don't believe that what they attempt to pound into you concerning that is true either. But, babies are born with self awareness. .Few, if any, have any recollection of those years. I see ample evidence from multiple sources to assume that there is more to existence than we can prove scientifically. The lack of scientific evidence cannot negate the possibility of more. It simply means we cannot state, unequivocally, what it entails.

If it makes you feel any better I am not of the opinion that retaining personal self awareness is a consistent part of the 'hereafter'. I think some do. I don't have an opinion as to why other than to say that I do believe we choose to take a part in this existence in the form we do. Whether that means it is an individual choice which culminates into an individual existence after the time here; or it is some type of a collective choice and our consciousness is reabsorbed into that consciousness is just another part of conjecture.

4. Trichakra profile image60
    Trichakraposted 7 years ago

"Thousands of past life regressions via hypnosis have confirmed the existence of past lives"

… well, that is interesting but we need proof.

That would be difficult to prove. Edgar Cayce has never been proven to be a fraud. And there is ample evidence he was the real deal. Although I don't think his readings constitute proof they are certainly compelling.

The only way to prove it is to remember one's past lifetime(s)! Is it possible?
          Yogis say yes.
          I would say certain behavioral tendencies relate to past-life modes of living/being.
          Also, I believe one's astrological chart provides clues to tendencies developed in past lifetimes.

Well, one person 'remembering' wouldn't be proof to anyone but that one person.

Yep.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)