jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Are average 'Religion and Philosophy'-hub scores lower than most?

1. profile image76
    Joel Lantzposted 5 months ago

1. HubPages seems to place great importance on graphics in a hub, recommending inclusion of at least three. However, in a philosophical hub inclusion even of a single graphic sometimes makes no sense. Any thoughts or suggestions on that? Does a lack or dearth of impressive graphics automatically doom a hub to lower scores?

2. Has anyone else wondered whether hubs discussing topics  that demand serious thought from readers and/or that challenge them — e.g. philosophical hubs — might typically get lower hub scores than more-popular-topic hubs? In particular, might worldview-challenging topics generate bias that subconsciously or consciously gets translated into perceptions of lower quality, regardless of how well a hub is written? Any empirical support for that concern?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 months ago in reply to this

No one knows how those scores are calculated, but given that the check list at the top of the edit screen includes a check off for images it seems likely that it includes that.

But I'm kind of at a loss to understand why a philosophical hub (or one demanding serious thought) can't include images.  Not only does is a picture "worth 1,000 words", but it makes the hub far more readable.

1. profile image76
        Joel Lantzposted 5 months ago in reply to this

Per your second paragraph, can you provide examples of how images might be used to convey philosophical concepts (say, beyond a pic of Rodin's 'Thinker' to convey the concept of conscious thought)?

For example, in a hub discussing and affirming the existence of truth to people with post-modern mindsets, what kinds of graphics do you think might genuinely enhance communication?

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 5 months ago in reply to this

But the example you give is exactly what I'm thinking of.  Beyond that, sorry, but I've never written a hub like you're thinking of.  Thoughtful ones, yes, but I've discussed the existence of truth in a hub.

Did Aristotle talk about that?  Perhaps a picture of him.  A pic of ancient Greece in discussing the history of your subject.  Will a photo of far space indicate deep thought, or the infinity of ideas? 

To me, a part of any discussion is an inclusion of mental pictures, and these can often be evoked with a photo of some kind.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 months ago

Hub scores are automated and reflect things like traffic.  So the low scores may just be because those are less popular topics for readers.

3. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago

As Psycheskinner says, HubScore is a combination of several elements and decided by an automated system.    HubPages is a business which earns its income from traffic to its Hubs. Therefore its automated systems are designed to encourage, and reward, Hubbers who write Hubs that attract traffic.  That's it in a nutshell.

Once a Hub has been live for some time, traffic is one of the elements that make up its HubScore. Religion and Philosophy are not popular subjects, so they don't get a lot of traffic, therefore their scores will always be lower. 

It's not worth worrying about, because scores have no impact on the success or failure of a Hub.  The reverse is the case - the success or failure of a Hub has an impact on its score.

working