jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

On becoming an authentic Christian in today's social climate

1. TimRBerman profile image83
    TimRBermanposted 5 weeks ago

What is your specific understanding of what it means to be an authentic Christian in today's social climate? Most of the Churches have made movements toward cultural appeasement in worship, in ministry, and in what appears to be a watering down version of the Gospel.

Yet, we are called, to not be part of the world, however, we are to live in the present age as it is. How do we do this where we are authentic in our own identity as Christians?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

To believe in Jesus Christ as either intimately associated with God or being a part of God, the god that created the universe.  To accept any of the versions of the bible as true, or at least mostly true.

2. colorfulone profile image88
      colorfuloneposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Well, its like not knowing we are in the Matrix until we are on the outside of it.  Like being deceived or in bondage to the sinful nature, we don't know that we are deceived or slaves until we are free.   Those who have been set free are free indeed and know it, and nothing can change their minds.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Forget the churches. I would say come to your own understanding of Christ's teachings and live as closely as possible to that understanding. Don't worry about what others do (whether Christian or otherwise) but stay true to your own understanding.

4. TimRBerman profile image83
      TimRBermanposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I have just published a lengthy article on the Spiritual Disciplines of an Authentic Christian Life.

Wilderness - interesting insight there. I am wondering if you are willing to clarify what you mean.

Colorfulone - I agree that being set free from the bondage of sin and death is important to understand and appreciate, I am wondering what insights you may have in how we are to live out the Gospel of Christ.

Live to Learn - I agree, many Christians today appear to be more about complimentary and conforming to their respective congregation and pastor. Christianity is also not about being isolated from others. So, I am not sure what you mean by forgetting the Churches.

1. Live to Learn profile image81

I don't mean to 'forget' the church but don't be led astray by the church.

1. TimRBerman profile image83
          TimRBermanposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Ah, yes, that makes sense. It is easy, especially in today's post-Christian Era, to get caught up in a Church that may be spiritually toxic and unhealthy

1. Live to Learn profile image81

That's my problem. I was raised in a toxic church. I respected my mother for always contributing her time and efforts; and persevering no matter how hard it seemed to be. I can't do that. I consider myself to be a Christian, but a hypocrite for not being able to be a part of any congregation. It's sad. I do miss church, to some extent, but I don't know of any church I consider God to be a part of anymore.

2. colorfulone profile image88
        colorfuloneposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

"I am wondering what insights you may have in how we are to live out the Gospel of Christ."

We are unique individuals.  For me it is believing in Him and living in Him because I am a Christian.  It becomes supernatural when the Written Word and the Living Word becomes a matter of the heart, not just in the mind only. We are not to be hearers only, but to be doers of the Word.

That being said, then there is Romans 2:13-16.   

13 For it is not those who merely hear the Law [as it is read aloud] who are just or righteous before God, but it is those who [actually] obey the Law who will be [a]justified [pronounced free of the guilt of sin and declared acceptable to Him]. 14 When Gentiles, who do not have the Law [since it was given only to Jews], do [b]instinctively the things the Law requires [guided only by their conscience], they are a law to themselves, though they do not have the Law. 15 They show that the [c]essential requirements of the Law are written in their hearts; and their conscience [their sense of right and wrong, their moral choices] bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or perhaps defending them 16 on that day when, [d]as my gospel proclaims, God will judge the secrets [all the hidden thoughts and concealed sins] of men through Christ Jesus.  (Amplified)

It is supernaturally a matter of the heart and our convictions.

5. yoliyeve profile image60
      yoliyeveposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

The Spirit of God leads us into all truth as we stay connected to the Word. This is our compass. It helps us stay on the right path, even when others are going the wrong way.

2. TimRBerman profile image83
    TimRBermanposted 5 weeks ago

Live to learn, if you haven't, check out my blog. You may access the link via my profile. Also, follow me here if you don't mind as I'm focusing on articles that inspire as well as comment on social trends.

working