jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (22 posts)

What's your favorite Religious-Themed Movie?

1. fierycj profile image86
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

If you wanna know the truth, Religious movies are terribly boring. They really are. But there are some exceptions. Omen, the old one was a classic. Stigmata,just brilliant. Sin Eaters wasn't half bad too. RIP Heath Ledger. Don't even mention Da Vinci Code to me. Props to Tom Hanks and all. He never fails. But what was Ron Howard thinking. He really messed it up. Props to Mel Gibson on Passion of Christ. It was an epoch making project. The Exorcist. Constantine, too.  Yeah, lest I forget, the Series Carniv├íle just about killed me, though it was short-lived and all. I thought it was a work of genius. So far, these are the ones I can think of, what about you?

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Mel Gibson on Passion of Christ- loved this movie, cried a lot when the bast..rds torchured Christ. smile

2. Paraglider profile image90
    Paragliderposted 7 years ago

The Life of Brian is still the funniest movie ever. Not exactly a religious theme but it certainly religion-based.

3. Onusonus profile image87
    Onusonusposted 7 years ago

"Saints and soldiers." Good stuff!

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Out of available in English - Dogma smile

1. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How could I forget this one?! Thank you Misha - this, too, belongs on my top list!

5. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Well, its gotta be "Ten Commandments" because I like old expansive Hollywood epics and I like looking at Charlton Heston w/o a shirt when he was young...Stigmata is cool because it has Gabriel Byrne who has that dark brooding sexy Irish thing going on and is just a terribly good actor...but I don't sound too religious, do I?  wink

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

The Trouble With Angels with Hailey Mills.  She plays a teenager prankster at Catholic school with her best friend.  I love the beginning scene when she tricks the nuns into thinking she is named after a famous actress.  Surprisingly, her character decides to become a nun at the end of the movie, which just never seemed to fit for some reason.

7. waynet profile image48
    waynetposted 7 years ago

The Exorcist...Your mother sucks.....er well yes!!

What can I say I'm a fan of horrors!

And as a family friendly one I'd say Sister act, whoopie goldberg just cracks me up!!

8. Tom Cornett profile image61
    Tom Cornettposted 7 years ago

History of the world, Part 1.....Mel Brooks. smile

9. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 7 years ago

Life of Brian and Meaning of Life- love those Pythons and yes these are haha's, but with more truth than some are willing to admit ("but, how shall we f**k off, messiah?").

My all time fave is JC Superstar. I love it and you cannot change my mind. I will serenade you with some of the score if you like..

Seems to me that through song and comedy, truth pierces right to the core because its okay to mention heavy things that are controversial in a more serious context.

Another reason I really like JC Superstar (and no, its not the hot shirtless guys jumping about in the desert though that is an important element)is that it reminds us that the man himself was not a fan of organized religion.

10. k@ri profile image83
    k@riposted 7 years ago

I was going to say Dogma...great movie!

11. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

All the above plus the 9th gate lol lol

12. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Ben Hur and The Greatest Story Ever Told.

13. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

The Blues Brothers

14. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

I remember watching the 10 commandments at work, when I was on a 10 hour shift.  Well the residents were watching it, I was just in and out of the room..... I swear it went on the whole shift, nobody really liked it that much, but no one turned it off either.... Some parts of it I really liked I have to say

15. 0
    mdawson17posted 7 years ago

I think my most favorite movies have been the left behind series!

16. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 7 years ago

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat - the musical (for the music, not the plot)

Monty Python and the Search For The Holy Grail (plus the aforementioned other MP ones)

The Matrix (of course it's religious-themed - are you KIDDING?)

The Name Of The Rose (although the book was 1000 times better)

The Crucible (based on the Arthur Miller play about the Salem witchcraft trials)

Star Wars (Episode 4 - the original movie)

Stargate (van Daniken was right ... sort of ...)

The Blues Brothers ("we're on a mission from God")

The Mission (again, music and cinematography more than plot)

Serenity (and the whole Firefly series, actually)

Even something like Sliding Doors or Me Myself I raises interesting questions about free will vs destiny.

There are so many ...

P.S. I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect Merlin might rate in there, too.

17. DennisBarker profile image59
    DennisBarkerposted 7 years ago

I thought Dogma was a good movie and Life of Brian has to be on the list.

18. usmanali81 profile image59
    usmanali81posted 7 years ago

There are a list of great movies, by great i exactly mean GREAT

The Message
    Lion of the Desert
    Lawrance of Arabia
    Children of Heaven
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Da Vinci Code
    Ben Hur
    Ten Commandments

The Edge
    Legend of Fall

19. Kudlit profile image51
    Kudlitposted 7 years ago

I saw "Knowing" starring Nicholas Cage last week. I liked it. Formulaic like most Hollywood movies are,  but I liked it. smile

20. Capable Woman profile image82
    Capable Womanposted 7 years ago

or Mindwalk.

Mindwalk was more about science than religion but Liv Ullman's physicist character borders on religious ecstasy when she discusses systems theory or "theory of everything".

Not having anymore than a laymens understanding of the science, I can still see God in that.