Love vs Greed

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

A holy man was having a conversation with God one day and said,
    ' God , I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.'

God led the holy man to two doors..

He opened one of the doors and the holy man looked in.

In the middle of the room was a large round table. In the middle of the
    table was a large pot of stew, which smelled delicious and made the holy
    man's mouth water.

The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They appeared to
    be famished.

They were holding spoons with very long handles, that were strapped to their
    arms and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a
    spoonful.

But because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not get the
    spoons back into their mouths.

The holy man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering.

God said, 'You have seen Hell.'

They went to the next room and opened the door. It was exactly the same as
    the first one.

There was the large round table with the large pot of stew which made the
    holy man's mouth water.

The people were equiped with the same long-handled spoons, but here the
    people were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking. The holy man
    said, 'I don't understand..'

It is simple,' said God . 'It requires but one skill.

You see they have learned to feed each other, while the greedy think only of
    themselves.'

Remember that I will always share my spoon with you !

Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves

(even though it 'appears'in the physical that the greed of the arrogant and elite is fattening them up, their 'spiritual essence''soul' is withered and dead, they are 'wasted away' and balance will be brought to fruition in the physical in Order's good timing)

2. Capable Woman profile image60
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

hmmm..I would have used my spoon-arm to beat all the other diners  to death and then I would have eaten all the stew straight out of the pot like a hungry dog.

no?

3. profile image0
    SarahMichelleposted 14 years ago

Capable - haha. 

I really like this analogy though.  So much truth to it.  This is a major problem with the world.  I think this can apply to sooo many other aspects of life also - I like the point that is made about friends being the family you choose.  I have learned the hard way that I cannot go through life doing things on my own.  I NEED others and there is nothing wrong with that.  I dabbled in both rooms and am convinced the second one is the only way I can survive!

4. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

It's a good thing that that's just an analogy though. Cos I mean, think about it, if all hell is, is a place where all you gotta do is worry about feeding yourself with a damn spoon, and heaven is a place where all you do is feed yourself with the same spoon...then gosh, are we in serious trouble. Lol.

5. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

I have a long wooden spoon made by my father, from a barrel stave. And in poker-work, along the handle he wrote "WHA SUPS WI THE DEIL"  which is half of the old Scots proverb  - Wha sups wi the deil maun hae a lang spune. (He who dines with the devil should have a long spoon). It's a nice memento, but neither of us had any time for devils and all that nonsense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)