First cell & Intermediate Fossils

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Eng.M profile image65
    Eng.Mposted 14 years ago

*I think the chances of the first cell to evolve into a fly or simpler being is one to infinite ..

but not in the Simpsons

Homer Evolution

*Richard Dawkin in responding to the author of 'Atlas of Creation' made fun of the view creationists have about the supposed intermediate creatures..

but he didn't give his point of view about this issue ..

Richard Dawkins

he also said he refuses to debate with the author because this one is not qualified as a biology scientist which I agree with him about because the author has got a degree in philosophy and art only ..

but he may have studied biology since a long time ..

the question is :
    how much do you need to be qualified to understand Evolution?

I am just posting this to see what my dear friends responses would be

regards

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to be qualified but you do need to have made a serious attempt to understand it. Also to realise that Darwinian Evolution was an early theory which was insghtful for its time but has been greatly refined in the interim, in the light of new discoveries.
      You can, of course, discuss evolution with reference only to the bible and so-called common sense, but that doesn't constitute a serious contribution. You might just as well discuss electronics with reference only to the Song of Solomon.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I shall steal that one and use it as my own! wink

Hi Eng. M - I agree with Paraglider. You do not have to have a biological qualification to understand evolution, although it helps, but many people are not actually interested in learning the theory.

They are more interested in creating a strawman to pursue their own agenda - I have long since ceased arguing with them!

1. Eng.M profile image65
          Eng.Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanx Paraglider & Sufidreamer

even if religion beliefs are against evolution ..
          and even if I am 100 % sure there is God which is called faith

I am just trying to find some way I can understand why many people belive in evolution without being influenced by my beliefs..
          I want to see what evolutionist see while I am a creationist

can I ?

for example :
          the first cell , I kind of feel it can't evolve into anything useful without an extraordinary thing ..

unless we lose some of our common sense ..
          or insist to explain it in a materialistic way because we want to have a view about everything and that view should belong to our world also ..

best regards

2. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

fantastic line!

Thanks LG - feel free to adopt, adapt and apply, where appropriate smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

No worries, Eng.M

Part of the problem is that people think that people who believe in Evolution are atheists. Not the case - some are and some are not.

Did a creator make the universe? Was there a supernatural force behind the creation of the first cell? I have no idea.

Was the universe created 6000 years ago and we descended from Adam and Eve? I have found nothing to support that view. smile

They are not mutually exclusive - you can be a creationist and an evolutionist wink

1. Eng.M profile image65

hey man

I think what you are trying to say that we have to keep reading
      as much as we know , we know nothing

we judge ideas (but not strongly) and not people

but , why do someone want to know there is a creator ?
      may be life would be easier , hardships will become honey

cheers mate

3. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Here's what I believe. I believe in an era beyond Adam and Eve. Beyond the formlessness of Creation. An era where Titans and Giants existed. Even the Bible supports this belief. You see the Bible speaking of the Leviathan, Behemoth, Unicorn, Dragons in a literal sense. One has to think outside the box is all. Its not just about Evolutionists and Non-evolutionists. Its way bigger than that. Way more bigger. That's what I believe.

1. Eng.M profile image65

I agree

thanx man

it is just people are different on this
      some consider it one of the important things in life and spend much times searching about it..
      some believe or don't but they have no enough time for this
      some just doesn't care ..

I think it is the most important think in life
      that is life itself

and like you say, it's much bigger

2. Paraglider profile image88

That's fine, but can you back it up without reference to the bible. With, for example, some petrified unicorn droppings? Evidence counts for a lot in trying to persuade doubters.

3. Capable Woman profile image61
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unicorns and dragons? I must have missed that part. Do you have a specific scripture to cite there?

Quick question...why dosen't the Bible mention the pyramids? I mean, this was the greatest human achievement imaginable at the time and there's not one mention anywhere.

Just ask'n...

1. Eng.M profile image65

may be there was no need to do so

may be

2. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dragons - ps 74:13, Jer14:6, Deu 32:33. Other references are more figurative in application. Unicorns - Nu23:22,24:8, Deu33:17,39:9-10,Ps 92:10. These are the ones I wrote down in my book. You may google for more.

1. Capable Woman profile image61

Psalm 74:13:  "You divided the sea by Your strength;
                   You broke the heads of the sea monsters in the waters."

(My guess...tuna, sharks, etc. Big fish that people figured out how to catch and eat).

Jeremiah 14:6:Wild donkeys stand on the barren heights
                     and pant like jackals; their eyesight fails for lack of pasture."

(I actually like this one...I bet Pablo Neruda read this at some point. Makes me think of his poetry. Still...wild donkeys aren't unicorns).

Deuteronomy 32:33: "Their wine is the venom of serpents,
                 the deadly poison of cobras."

(serpents, cobras...still no unicorns or dragons here...)

Numbers 23:22,24:8: "God brought them out of Egypt;
                 they have the strength of a wild ox.
                 They devour hostile nations
                 and break their bones in pieces;
                 with their arrows they pierce them.

(some very visceral imagery, however see previous comment in regards to content)

Deuteronomy 33:17 "In majesty he is like a firstborn bull;
                 his horns are the horns of a wild ox.
                 With them he will gore the nations,
                 even those at the ends of the earth.
                 Such are the ten thousands of Ephraim;
                 such are the thousands of Manasseh."

(bulls and oxen...not dragons or unicorns yet...)

Psalm 92:10 "You have exalted my horn [a] like that of a wild   ox;fine oils have been poured upon me."

(unless this is the unicorn speaking in the first person here, then I still don't get it. biblegateway.com describes the word "horn" in this psalm as meaning strength. See  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=31;).

I'm not picking on you,fierycj, but if you are going to make outlandish statements and then attempt to use biblical passages to "prove" nonsense, at least take the time to read that which you are citing.

I know I can Google information as you suggest, just like you apparently did. The next step, however, is actually reading the information.

4. Sufidreamer profile image78

lol - I was brought up on Norse and Greek mythology, so find that idea very interesting.

Don't know how much Norse mythology you have read, but these are pretty good books.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=StnB … =1#PPP1,M1

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9o3Z … 1#PPA42,M1

www.forgottenbooks.org has plenty of great free books - well worth a visit.

1. Elynjo profile image61
        Elynjoposted 14 years agoin reply to this
        1. Sufidreamer profile image78

I vaguely remember that one - we studied a little Ovid during Latin classes, although it was a long time ago. sad

Will have to wiki that one! smile

1. Elynjo profile image61
            Elynjoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok Mister! That's your assignment today. wink

4. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Also worth mentioning that Biological Science isn't 'out to get' religion. There's no animosity. But a scientific field of study has to follow its method without prejudging the outcome.

1. Eng.M profile image65

but you may expect outcomes
      and know you may not find them

I'd say that your scientific theory will predict outcomes. Counter-examples therefore tend to refute the theory. It's a well documented process.

1. Eng.M profile image65

you are right
          scientific methods
          but they don't give always correct results

any way
          have a good night everyone

5. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

We were created from "dirt", didn't you people read the "book of God"? Sureeee, just like the drunk with the magic boat saving every animal on earth.

I do not believe we came from Adam & Eve or Monkeys.

I believe we were created without knowing how/why we were created on purpose. If we knew everything, what would be the point of "thought"? There would be no point. Maybe it was meant to be unknown, yet meant to be found out.

6. profile image0

Do you honestly believe that I would give you references without making sure of it. Is that really how dumb you think I am. I thought we we're having a friendly debate,but I honestly can see you're not a very nice person. Not to mention smart. Read the friggin verses from a King James Translation. Even my 6 year old nephew knows that you can only get a translation that is closest to the Original Hebrew and Greek texts from the KJV. I have no time for know-it-all pretentious people such as yourself. Enjoy.

Do you honestly believe that I would give you references without making sure of it.

Yes. Yes I do.

Is that really how dumb you think I am.

No comment

I thought we we're having a friendly debate,but I honestly can see you're not a very nice person. Not to mention smart.

Why? Because I call you on your BS? Now all of a sudden it's not a "friendly debate"? You started on shaky ground, my friend..and you're only making it worse. I'm smart enough to be able to READ, by the way. Am I missing something here?

Read the friggin verses from a King James Translation. Even my 6 year old nephew knows that you can only get a translation that is closest to the Original Hebrew and Greek texts from the KJV.

Right...because everyone knows that the Greek and Hebrew are the "originals". Perhaps your 6 year old nephew is the one who introduced the whole "dragons and unicorns" thing to you in the first place?

I have no time for know-it-all pretentious people such as yourself. Enjoy.

If by "know it all" you mean someone with the ability for critical thinking and independent research that took all of 4 minutes, then thank you. Same for "pretentious".

Why is it, fellow hubbers, that whenever you try to debate "the religious" on their own terms (bible verses, etc.) they always get so angry and defensive?

Thoughts?

2. LondonGirl profile image82
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then your nephew will probably learn better as he grows up.

The Authorised Version is wonderful in many ways. But it's far from being the most accurate translation.

This is a household that has both the Authorised Version in English, and the Torah (Old Testament) in Hebrew.

7. profile image0

Oh Capable. I'm very calm. I'm watching a movie and at the same time replying to you from my cell. I'm not defensive either,cos I'm not threatened by you or anyone. I'm from the heart of Africa, where real stuff goes down. It'll take a lot more than a chattering woman in a pc forum to make me defensive or anything. What a laugh.

Good. Be safe. My gf was in Djibouti recently and I know, 2nd hand at least, what sort of "real stuff" you are referring to.

I mean you no disrespect...we are all here to learn from each other.

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

see, thats how we all get along. It really is that simple.

Not to belabor the point, fierycj, but you do realize that everyone who doesn't agree with you isn't personally attacking you, right?

I still don't see any evidence of dragons OR unicorns in anything you have said or cited. I will stop here as you and I have effectively devolved this forum into our own personal debating platform at this point (sorry, ya'll smile )

If you have something new to add that speaks to the original point, I will look forward to it. If not, all the best. wink

8. profile image0

Read those passages I gave you in a King James Bible and see if there're any peculiarities from the one you're reading. I'm out, I'm enjoying this movie much too much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)