jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What About The Matyrs?

1. fierycj profile image84
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

I often wonder about the matyrs of the glory days - the days of valour, who were slain for their faiths. Of course, there shall always be persecution, but we have it easy now. Much too easy. Of course, this ease won't last forever. Be not at ease in Zion, is the thought that comes to mind. I don't know, sometimes I close my eyes and I can see them in my mind, countless beheaded, others burned at the stake, some boiled in a cauldron, while others becoming meats for the lions, others thrust thru with a spear, and in all this gross macabre - they were happy to go; counting such a death a worthy glory, a privilege. What a passion to be envious of, what spiritedness, yea, what fervent zeal!
    I close my eyes and see our days coming - when the portion of the matyrs shall be meted out to us-ward in abundance! Salutations.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The moment you claim enlightenment like many saints or masters or martyrs you are ready to die for god, for the truth.The person has already witnessed death upon which he came across god, he or she is a dead man walking. smile

"I am thy shield and they exceedingly great reward."The Holy Bible.

The real reward for the enlightened one comes when he dies he goes back home to god, absolute bliss, home. smile

It is the individual choice of the master as to how long he will be here, we have had great saints entering into maha samadhi at a very young age such as sixteen as they feel their job is done and then you have the great Babaji of the Himalayas who is supposedly still here after two thousand years and has promised to go back to god only when every soul has achieved moksha.

Sant Dyaneshwar wrote his masterpiece the Dyaneshwari a commentary on the Bhagwat Gita at the age of sixteen.He soon undertook maha samadi as he believed his pupose for being here on this planet was over.
      Some dont have choice as to how long they live, its in the hands of god.

Then some masters extend their life in order to burn out their karmas as they dont want to take rebirth to do so.
      There are a few saints in the Girnar mountains of Gujrat who are supposed to be over two hundered years old. smile
      Jesus died in his mid thirties, his job was done. smile
      Only someone who cares more about his work than his life can undertake such a great sacrifice. smile

2. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 7 years ago

I would rather see such fervent zeal directed toward living a life true to one's beliefs than toward dying for them.

The former is more difficult, requiring as it does sustained zeal and passion over many decades, and a grappling with the complexities and conundrums of mortal existence.

Easier by far to die young and untested, knowing that one will be idolised by future generations of the young and untested.

Wish not for future hordes of martyrs - wish instead for future hordes of wise, grounded, enlightened, mature spiritual leaders who radiate Divine Love with every breath.

Less excitement, more enlightenment.

1. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Beautiful answer. I must go see your hubs now! smile

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Matyrs?  Is this like Satyrs?  (Sorry, cj, lol)  Think you mean 'Martyrs.'

The term martyr (Greek μάρτυς martys "witness") is most commonly used today to describe an individual who sacrifices his or her life (or their personal freedom) in order to further a cause or belief for many.