jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Abortion doctor George Tiller gunned down while attending Church

1. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

What is the matter with people? The U.S. used to be a place where reasonable people could disagree reasonably. Now we have religious zealots gunning down doctors during Church services. Plus, it's happened before--it just so happens that this time it happened in a Church.

Here we are obsessing about terrorists at Gitmo and we have Christian terrorists running around free.

2. Paraglider profile image92
    Paragliderposted 7 years ago

Pam - simple arithmetic. A pro-life gunman kills one doctor to save maybe twenty future embryos. Because life is sacred, except the lives of those who disagree.

3. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Irrational beliefs produce irrational behavior.  A catholic man was beaten to death by a protestant mob in Northern Ireland the other day.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen … 406018.ece

4. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

Hi PG & Mark,

Well, here in the U.S. we're witnessing a backlash of the far right that I think could easily morph into the American Fascist Party if it hasn't already.

Nobody felt the need to shoot abortion doctors so long as the Republican party was in power, even though Roe v Wade was still in force and Bush totally betrayed his Christian base over and over again.

Now that the country fairly voted the right out of power, the fringe elements are throwing bigger and bigger tantrums. I think it's alarming, and as the economy deteriorates further and jobs are harder and harder to get, I think it will get much uglier.

On the up side, we got our garden in yesterday.

Not sure if we should put up a scarecrow or a bunker.

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My take exactly...  Gotta run to corporate world now!

5. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

That is scary.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image69
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

The nut case who killed the U.S. Army recruiter and the Nazi who shot the guard today at the Holocaust Memorial in D.C. use the similar twisted logic.

7. wychic profile image79
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I agree, it is getting to be pretty crazy. Unfortunately, what people don't seem to be realizing is that they're not saving any lives by killing abortion doctors. As history has proven, if a woman really wants an abortion she will find a way to get one, regardless of laws or availability of qualified doctors. More often than not, this meant that instead of the death of a single unborn baby, it was the death of the unborn baby and its mother. Shooting abortion doctors adds that many more to the toll.

Personally, I do not agree with abortion and would never allow it in my own life. However, I will be the first to say that it was disastrous when it was illegal before, and people who oppress or murder abortion doctors are just ensuring that no one who is qualified to do the process safely (that is, resulting in one death instead of two) will be able to do their job. My significant other used to be in medicine and had to perform a couple of abortions. He loves children and hated to do it, but he knew that if he didn't apply his skills to the task then someone with less or no medical background would do it. He once told me that he often wondered why, when he's dedicating his life to helping other people, he had to wear a flak jacket under his scrubs while he worked.