Purgatory...A Line That Killed Me In The Sopranos...

1. fierycj profile image83
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

The Sopranos is one of my favorite series, next to Carnivalé. I started watching the DVD all over again, from Season 1 a couple of days ago, and it still kills me everytime. In Season 2, Paulie 'Walnuts' played by Tony Sirico walks into Christopher's (played by Michael Imperioli ) hospital room after he's been shot. Paulie is worried about a trance-like vision that Christopher had while in a coma - a vision about one of their victims, you know someone they clipped talking about how they would eventually end up in hell. This victim gives Chris a tour of what seems to be a Hell for Wise Guys. This bothers Paulie a lot, so he tries to rationalize the vision by saying that Chris didnt go to hell, but purgatory. The following conversation follows--

Chris: I forgot all about purgatory.

Paulie: Purgatory. A little detour on the way to paradise.

Chris: How long you think we gotta stay there?

Paulie: Now that's different for everybody. You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add it together. Then that's your sentence. I figure i have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here.

2. fierycj profile image83
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

Doesn't that dialogue just kill you.