jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (30 posts)

statistic on religions killing. not find yet.

1. chukra G profile image61
    chukra Gposted 7 years ago
  2. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 7 years ago

Are you looking for something like this?

In "The New Criminology", Max D. Schlapp and Edward E. Smith say that two generations of statisticians found that the ratio of convicts without religious training is about 1/10 of 1%.  W. T. Root, professor of psychology at the Univ. of Pittsburgh, examined 1,916 prisoners and said "Indifference to religion, due to thought, strengthens character," adding that Unitarians, Agnostics, Atheists and Free-Thinkers are absent from
    penitentiaries or nearly so.

During 10 years in Sing-Sing, those executed for murder were 65% Catholics, 26% Protestants, 6% Hebrew, 2% Pagan, and less than 1/3 of 1% non-religious.

Steiner and Swancara surveyed Canadian prisons and found 1,294 Catholics, 435 Anglicans, 241 Methodists, 135 Baptists, and 1 Unitarian.

Dr. Christian, Superintendant of the NY State Reformatories, checked 22,000 prison inmates and found only 4 college graduates.  In "Who's Who" 91% were college graduates, and he commented that "intelligence and knowledge produce right living" and that "crime is the offspring of superstition and ignorance."

chukra Gposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thank you very much friend

1. Vladimir Uhri profile image59
        Vladimir Uhriposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think all religions are incorrect. Some are good some are not. Atheists are also religious. Therefore question is irrelevant. Someone is born in barn does not make him donkey or cow. If someone is criminal is criminal and not Catholic or Anglican.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think he was saying psychologically, religious influences play a huge role in the criminal mind.  So yes, even in anti-religious thoughts... religion is still the foundation of what seems to be some sort of paranoia which leads to extreme behavior as a result of a) fear and b) lack of fear. 

So take from it what you will but two things stand out in this very brief sentiment.  Fear based religion causes psychosis. big_smile

2. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the stats and for the reference. 

Q.

3. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

LOL, no offense, but this stats is seriously flawed and skewed. smile

First, many people tend to turn religious AFTER committing a serious crime like murder. So you need to count if they were religious at the time of crime, not in jail.

Second, in most Western countries Christians constitute a vast majority of population, so numbers should be weighted relative to the percentage of the group in total population to be representative. As they are stated now, they bear no meaning. smile

1. onthewriteside profile image60
      onthewritesideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

So true Misha!  And I fully agree...but he wanted some stats...hehe!

chukra Gposted 7 years ago in reply to this

not for me actually,

4. JonTutor profile image59
    JonTutorposted 7 years ago

Even if religion doesn't kill you... it surely can leave a lasting scar.... My Dad's JW beliefs caused my parents to divorce... Is there topic here on how many couples break up due to clashes in religious beliefs?

1. onthewriteside profile image60

I did read a stat that presented Divorce Rates vs Religion.  Jews had the highest with Born Agains in a close second.  "Other Christians" came in third with "non-believers" having the lowest.

1. JonTutor profile image59
        JonTutorposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Dude... Any stats between Catholics and JW???

1. profile image0

Statistically they oppose each other but are for the same god. lol

I gotta be clear... I meant break up between Catholics and JW's.... You gotta pretty smile... ever tried modeling for a tooth paste....You crack me up....LOL

1. Misha profile image74
              Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

he-he wink

Sorry Jon, it is not about you, it is about Sandra smile

1. profile image0

Hey! yikes Your lucky I love you Misha... smile

@Sandra Can I get some of that love too.... just kidding... I hope my GF doesn't catch me now...LOL

2. Misha profile image74
                  Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Love ya too ♥

You folks are so nice to each other.

2. profile image0

I do have a question Tutor, was your mother the Catholic and your father JW?

Spot on.

2. onthewriteside profile image60

The report I saw didn't break it down that far...but I'm sure there is a study out there somewhere.

working