jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Hitchens vs Dawkins

1. jenblacksheep profile image84
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

For Atheists that actually read up on atheism do you think Hitchens is better than Dawkins? I've read some of Richard Dawkins and I really dislike him. I find him so arrogant and I think many atheists are. Before I buy Hitchens new book I just wondered if anyone could tell me if it would be worth it?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I cannot say that I "read up on atheism," but I have read a couple of Dawkins' books and have found them informative from the biology standpoint. I am pretty sure Make Money has not read either of these - he gets all the "facts" he needs from the good bok. lol

2. Make  Money profile image69
    Make Moneyposted 7 years ago

No it's not worth it. smile

3. David Bowman profile image61
    David Bowmanposted 7 years ago

Have you even read Hitchens' book Make Money or are you just trying to discourage others from reading it because you disagree with its subject matter?

4. David Bowman profile image61
    David Bowmanposted 7 years ago

I own a copy of "The God Delusion" by Dawkins and I quite enjoyed it. I haven't read Hitchens' book "God Is Not Great" so I can't really comment on it. I would however, like to get my hands on a copy of it. I really enjoy watching Hitchens debate theists on Youtube; he makes mincemeat out of them.

Dawkins can seem arrogant at times, but I think Hitchens comes across as much more arrogant.  I didn't like Dawkins at first but he grew on me the more I watched and read of him. I highly recommend watching "The Root Of All Evil" on Youtube.

Hitchens and Dawkins may seem arrogant at times but that is really irrelevant; their arguments are sound and that's really all that matters.

5. jenblacksheep profile image84
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

I have the God Delusion and I've read a bit of it but I just couldnt get on with it. I am going to try again now that I don't HAVE to read philosophical books for my course. I watched some of those youtube clips of Hitchens but I was only half paying attention because I'm watching Tennis.

I'm all for a good debate but I just don't have patience for people who are rude and disrespectful of other peoples' religions and I found Dawkins to be like that and yes, I spose Hitchens did sound like that too.

Will stick with them both. Am just interested to hear other peoples' opinions!

6. 0
    sandra rinckposted 7 years ago

I didn't find Dawkins arrogant.  I think the "tone" of arrogance comes from the perspective of the reader feeling that he is being disrespectful. 

I actually think he was pretty funny.  I think it is an atheistic trait though. big_smile  Then I also thing almost everything is funny soo...

7. enderw1ggins profile image60
    enderw1gginsposted 7 years ago

Well, I own the God Delusion and have read it a couple times. I really don't like Dawkins because he has the worst behavior i have ever seen in a grown man.
    Hitchens, haven't read his joint, from what i have seen of him he is pretty arrogant, but he doesn't behave like a child.
    I'm a Christian, so yeah my book review is more about the personal character of the authors rather than the content.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Really - having an opinion that proves yours is worthless is the worst behavior you have seen in a grown man?

You need to get out more. wink