Evolvism - a new view on religion

1. yoshi97 profile image90
    yoshi97posted 7 years ago

First off, I'm not looking for converts. If I was, then I would defile the path I stand here to express.

First off, I looked up evolvism and found it has been a religion in the past, but the beliefs of that religion have nothing to do with my own. As such, don't bother looking up evolvism - it's a personal view of mine and not to be confused with any actual religion that already exists.

So, what exactly is evolvism? As it's a personal concept of mine, then it seres that it can only be explained by me. Once I spell it out, you might find you already fit into the mold.

Evolvism is realizing the ultimate truth of our existence ... to continue on as a species.

Read that previous statement again, as it's the one universal truth many of us have forgotten. We exist to bring forth another generation, and there simply is no other way to state this as it leads to a path of denial if we try to walk away from this truth.

Think of all of the evil things people do ... Every one of them creates chaos and devolves society. If society devolves too far then wars break out and many of our species die off. Evil is that which devolves society.

To that end, that's why we found religions, so we can cull our society toward a more peaceful existence. Think I'm wrong? How many first churches of Satan do you see? And yet ... ask any Christian, Jew, or Muslim how many people will go to hell this year if they don't change their ways ... that would seem to state that Satan has a lot of power if we can sway that many souls to do evil. And yet, he commands no centralized following, because Satan represents chaos.

On the other hand, God represent that which is orderly and just. It's the things that are difficult to do, because they act against our primitive instincts.

Primitive instincts?

Yes, we are born with the same survival instincts that the other animals are.

We're territorial - that's why we live in individual homes with our immediate families.

We create pecking orders - national governments rule over state governments, which rule over local governments and then us.

We provide for our pack - we work to provide for our immediate family

This is pack behavior, as seen in dogs ... no wonder dog is man's best friend

So, we did fall off track here? Not really. You see, evolvism is working past these primitive instincts to perpetuate society.

We are capable of living in smaller domiciles when real estate is scarce (Japan)

We form our own leadership roles to help others (the Red Cross and the Peace Corps)

We work to feed and care for others (the United Way)

Religion (regardless of what book you read) tells us that going against our animal instincts to do good deeds is a rewarded thing. None of these books are wrong in this respect.

Let me reiterate that point - none of these books are wrong in this respect.

So, the inference you might have just made is that the books are inevitably wrong on other points ...

Well, you're wrong. Fact is, any book that helps one arrive at the answer that it's better to be good than evil (favoring order over chaos) is a well-written book.

So, did I bring you here to tell you all religions were right and just confuse you? No. I brought you here to explain evolvism (as I see it) and to bring us to another universal truth - we fail to learn what we are taught.

Again ... repeat that ... we fail to learn what we are taught.

Many of us go to church on a frequent basis, telling ourselves we do it to learn more about God. Thing is ... over time the lessons repeat themselves. Why? Because there isn't much to know. You can favor orderliness or you can favor chaos. Freewill is yours. The rest is all about giving you a glimpse of the benefits of orderliness (heaven) and chaos (hell).

Now, when I speak of orderliness I am NOT speaking of a new world order where we are all robots of the state - I am speaking of a utopia where people do what they can to help one another and live on an equal social level with everyone.

This is where we fail religion (religion never fails us, as the concept is good but our follow through is still from a very primitive perspective).

Whenever anyone challenges our faith we immediately find ourselves citing 'the book' to explain why they are wrong. Why would we cite a book to someone that never read it and expect them to accept it as truth? And why recite a book at all? Is it that we are incapable of saying from a human perspective what is wrong and right?

As for me ... I don't need to cite a verse from any book to tell someone murder is wrong. I can express it from my own opinion.

To understand my peeve with this, let's say you believe Thomas Jefferson was the first President of the United States. I then correct you and say it is George Washington. At this point, I have not cited any reference material - just stated what I know.

From there, you continue to argue the point, so I pull out an encyclopedia and prove (indeed) that it was George Washington. I even cite where I found the information and copy the text for you. At this point, I have issued proof.

So, is this to say that any religious book is to be seen as an encyclopedia? I think you can see why I have a problem at this point with the various versus being thrown out as proof. A book citing a good way of life should not be given out as some encyclopedic reference. Instead, one should offer to have the person pick up the tome and read it for themself. After all, isn't the greatest part of religion discovering for one's self what they will believe in?

And so this brings us to evolvism (as I see it) where we can all believe differently (have our own religion), but all have the same goal (the perpetuation and civilization of our species). To that end, I see no heaven nor hell, but a species doing their best to evolve above the creatures around them to become less primitive and more social.

If someone needs to go to church to learn these lessons, then I say they should. If someone needs to open a book to learn these things, then I'm all for that too. I'm even for them becoming a part of a religion, provided it helps them improve as a person.

What I'm against is control ... Telling a person they MUST follow the rules of a specific religion or they will go to hell is chaos - not orderliness. By dictating a path one CAN follow, we enlighten them ... by dictating a path others MUST follow, we are following back into pack mentality ... the pack leader leads and the wolves follow.

This is a primitive way of thinking which often leads to disaster . For, if the pack leader decides to leap over the cliff, the others follow like lemmings.

Which brings me to the epiphany of evolvism.

1. Accept people for what they believe, so long as they believe in something (even if it goes against your own beliefs

2. Promote orderliness - not chaos. Don't preach or judge good acts - perform them. The one good action you perform offsets the one chaotic action of another. However, if you stand on a pulpit and demand order from chaos without providing any order yourself you become nothing more than a hypocrite, adding to the chaos.

3. You can believe in heaven and hell, but stop seeing them as a motivator for your actions. You should choose to be good because of the good feeling it provides inside and not because you fear what will happen in your afterlife. To live in fear is to live as sheep, and there's already enough of those on this planet

4. Don't be a preacher ... be an example. Trust me, nothing pushes people away further than being told what to do and seeing YOU not doing it. After all, while you might propose that a deity demands they do something, they will definitely question why that same deity doesn't ask the same of you. By being a visible example and saying nothing you promote your cause much further than by standing on a pulpit and acting differently in your private life.

5. Realize you are a human being - prone to chaos - and that you can never stray totally away from your instincts. As such, it's always a conscious effort to do good things and there will be times when we'll forget and make mistakes. Accept them and move on.

So, that's my thoughts on evolvism.  I invite your thoughts as well, though I do ask that you recite YOUR OWN views and keep the scriptures aside. After all, this discussion is about evolvism, and to help you understand my point of view I am asking in this discussion that you use only YOUR OWN words and opinions.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

This is long enough to be a hub, surely. wink

3. B.Z. Alixandre profile image79
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 7 years ago

"Evolvism is realizing the ultimate truth of our existence ... to continue on as a species.

Think of all of the evil things people do ... Every one of them creates chaos and devolves society. If society devolves too far then wars break out and many of our species die off. Evil is that which devolves society.

And yet, he commands no centralized following, because Satan represents chaos.

On the other hand, God represent that which is orderly and just. It's the things that are difficult to do, because they act against our primitive instincts. "

The central dogma to your belief, I absolutely agree with.  It is our biological drive to perpetuate not only our own species but our own line.  Consider for example the Mule, it is not considered evolutionarily viable because it can not reproduce themselves, but can only be produced from the union of two different species.  Although there continue to be Mules, it is not a creature of evolution.

I have significant issue with the chaos vs. orderliness aspect, however.  Let me say upfront I am not an anarchist and I understand your not seeking a new world order.  My basic problem is the assumption that chaos represents something bad.  In fact, I'm not sure what specifically you mean by chaos.  You cite war as an example, however the formation and execution of war is one of the first orderly things we did as a society (consider aboriginal societies whose leaders were war lords and generals, not politicians).  True, the battlefield is chaos incarnate, but war itself is not.  Not to mention most war is done in the name of the two things you cite as being each other: god and order.  So let me define chaos as I interpret it: chaos is the dissolution of things maintained in structure.  Is that inherently evil, or even bad?  Break it down to its very basic purpose, chaos occurs to resurrect things.  Dead things rot (chaos) to produce the smallest elements of itself which is then consumed by life.  And what is order?  How about, maintenance of things in structure.  In that example, cancer is order.  Cancer occurs when apoptosis, natural cell death and break down, does not occur, the cell order is maintained past its usefulness.  Mutation in DNA is order, because a mistake is maintained in structure despite not belonging there.  So I am misunderstanding in your interpretation of your beliefs, why order is the natural representation of good and chaos is the natural representation of bad?  Because they represent primitive instincts which we overcome to perpetuate the species?  I would disagree with that, in fact I would say it is our primitive instinct which cause the perpetuation of instinct.  Ever hear of the biological clock?  Its not just a euphemism, it is a females primitive drive to reproduce regardless of her political or private opinions on reproduction.  It is our societal teachings which may allow a woman to ignore or overcome these primitive instincts.