Individualism vs Atheism and Fundamentalism

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (84 posts)
  1. JonTutor profile image59
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

Last night there was a debate.... this topic "would you marry atheist".... I said... I'm not atheist... I'm "individualist"....  experienced for myself.... this Budhist technique..  http://sakya.org/meditationbeg.html ... relaxes me...also learned simple breathing technique from my Indian boss....both useful for me.

My question for some atheists here.. who come on religious topics.... Do atheists have a problem with any religious practice?

My question for very religious folks.... Do you believe other beliefs and practices wrong?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only the insistence that everyone else needs to join up and if you do not, you are somehow inferior. Apart from that.....

Knock yourself out. Whatever works for you.

JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not gonna insist anyone..... IMO everybody is equal... My belief.... practice whatever makes you peaceful and happy. smile

2. SparklingJewel profile image65
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jon,

If you have read any of my hubs, most are "geared toward" the unity in our diversity across religions, philosophies and belief systems (one of which I believe is being an atheist).

I basically believe that because each of us is a unique individual, that has had unique experiences, we each have unique needs to be met to follow our path...so how could anyone lovingly ditz anyone's path choices?

But, of course, I have found what I believe are universal structures that all are to eventually obtain/realize, albeit in their own unique way and time.

3. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe all "grouped" belief to be wrong. I consider all grouped belief to be a contradiction of absolute individualism. I also believe all belief should be open to debate without arrogance or ego to find true individual belief.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a problem with religious practice if it is (a) harmful to people's psychological or physical well-being or (b) if its believers are themselves intolerant of other religious beliefs, other spiritualities or the absence of belief.

Otherwise, most atheists are tolerant of religions that are willing to live and let live.

Do  you think.... individual experiences / techniques like..... Breathing/Meditation/Yoga..... "harmful" practices?

1. rcisophie profile image60
          rcisophieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One thing you need to have clear - meditation and yoga are not religious techniques. They are religion independent in their essence. The confusion in understandable because usualy we connect them to Budhism and also to Hinduism.
          Buda used and teached meditation as one of the paths to enlightment, in our days there are several new approaches religion free (check De Rose's Yoga). There are too many examples.

Another thing, meditation as a technic of instrospection and self-awareness is also pressent in Christianity, for example, and in all that as times for pause, prayer and also 'reflection'.

And why do you put Individualism VS Atheism and Fundamentalism?
          There is a lot of fundamentalism in and outside religion, so...?

5. Shaul Stein profile image59
      Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think we are accountable for everything we knew in our conscience and only each person knows what that is. some need to be taught it is wrong to steal, others know it without being told. everyone seems to have a conscience, some chose to ignore it and act poorly towards others, but they protest if the same thing happens to them.
      i think that if you disregard your conscience long enough it becomes seared and you are able to do all manner of ill will towards anyone or anything at anytime.
      i think believers in God and unbelievers both do this.
      i think that if you believe in God you have no need to toot your horn about it,
      others will see your behavior and tell you they see Him in you.

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice religious brainwashing ! big_smile  Very becoming!

1. Shaul Stein profile image59

i am sorry, can you elaborate on that for me please?
          is was talking ones conscience.
          did i say something wrong?

Good and Evil is the main 'scenario' of all religions. All the rules are based in those 2 concepts.People are  driven to behave 'good ' just as you say, for people 2 c God in them. I think that's a misconcept due to religious brainwashing. Sorry It's my believe. I would explain at large, but I don't have the patience.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh, three isms in one title. You are killing me Jon smile

I try. lol

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

As for your question - i don't really care, as long as you don't shove it down my throat or otherwise try to interfere with my life. smile

I don't..... but for my life.... my choice to seek.... I'm still exploring. smile

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I know you don't. I did not really mean you personally. smile

Thanks.... I just wanna know....Even my step dad (atheist) is cool.... only my conservative catholic folks have issues... learning meditation... I'm not converting. smile

4. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Of course I believe some other religious teachings are wrong, and even a few religious practices. That being said, other people believe I am wrong in my religious beliefs and practices too, and they are just as entitled to their beliefs as I am to mine. As long as we disagree in the right way and for the right reasons, I can get along.

As for atheists having a problem with religion, I unfortunately know too many who consider anyone else following or otherwise expressing their religion in their presence as shoving religion down their throats. I know some people who are very uncomfortable if they see me wearing a cross or taking a brief moment to silently give thanks before I eat. I saw some people at a ball game react with offense when they saw a player make the Sign of the Cross before going up to bat. And I had the misfortune of encountering atheists who very openly look down their noses at religious people and refuse to stop when their arrogance is pointed out to them.

LOL

I must admit I have started taking offense to public statements of an irrational beliefs system. Particularly christian and muslim irrational belief systems.

Mainly because I have read the bible - and I know what it says about unbelievers.

I assume you have also?

I take offense at people calling me a fool for not believing.

Wouldn't you?

Of course - that could just be arrogance on my part. wink

I mean - I cannot even say I do not have a belief without people insisting that I do.

Gets a little irritating after the ten thousandth person says - "oh - that is the same as me believing there is a god. You did not think about it and make a decision - you just believe - the same as me." (see above)

1. profile image0
        James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must know that god is not God.

Like I said - get's a little irritating being told what I "must know." wink

1. marinealways24 profile image59
            marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must be saved. lol

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Hi Jon. I think that irrational and/or intolerant attitudes are  found in every quarter--religious (all of them), 'spiritual' (religion-lite), atheist, and individualist--whatever a person calls him or herself, we can all be jerks if we want to, and we can all put our brains on hold if we want to.

So much of what is happening in the world today is IMO the result of a refusal to live and let live, and the rest of it is just bad manners. The internet has given people the idea that bullying others intellectually by calling them names and finishing their thoughts for them (as in, well, if you think THAT then you also think THIS) is admirable. It's not.

I consider myself an agnostic person with faith in what I don't know. The fruits of knowledge are not always positive. I use religious practices when they seem practical. Meditation strikes me as a very practical religious practice, so why shouldn't I use it? It's useful! Private ritual (some would call it magic) is also sometimes useful so I do use it. What I have a great distaste for are people who want to start a war or metaphysics or religious dogma. What a waste.

If a religion requires me to park my brain at the door, I'm not interested.

6. phonereversetrace profile image60
    phonereversetraceposted 14 years ago

All beliefs are illusions; the truth of reality, or "God," cannot be pigeonholed into a belief or mental thought construct.

It simply cannot be comprehended by the mind; it can only be experienced.

7. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

ValerieF wrote
    And I had the misfortune of encountering atheists who very openly look down their noses at religious people and refuse to stop when their arrogance is pointed out to them.

And I wonder why  ?... I think religious people sometimes are very enervating, to say the least big_smile

8. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

And it gets irritating having my belief system judged as irrational when, for all you know, my belief system and reasons for subscribing to it are perfectly rational and grounded in reason and valid logic. Just because we disagree on the premises doesn't make atheism or religion any more or less rational.

I have read the Bible, and there's that rule about doing unto others in there. If you don't like that the Bible calls you a fool for believing in your heart there is no God, don't turn and call someone the same exact thing for believing there is one.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Valerie, Mark didn't say he minded about the Bible calling him a fool.  It's the religious people here in the forums or in real life who call him a fool, that he objects to.

As you've read the Bible, you'll know that not everything in it can be taken literally, because it contradicts itself in hundreds of places.  There is no logic in picking and choosing the bits you want to believe.

I respect your right to choose to believe, but you have no rigth to call anyone a fool for not believing.  And very often, atheists are reacting to that implication. 

I do notice that, especially on these forums, some people (are you listening Mark?) have become so sensitised by the religious extremists that they over-react to milder statements.  Which is a shame, IMO.

1. ElElyone profile image60
        ElElyoneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"As you've read the Bible, you'll know that not everything in it can be taken literally, because it contradicts itself in hundreds of places.  There is no logic in picking and choosing the bits you want to believe."

Please find 3 or 5 and post them here and then we shall address the other "hundreds" one at a time.

I mean, if you are going to put that kind of an absolute statement here then at least have some references please. big_smile

"There is no logic in picking and choosing the bits you want to believe."

Well yes, picking and choosing from the truth is NOT a good idea for anything in life. Truth is not a buffet.

It might be easier to just write a hub and include the "hundreds of contradictions" in it. smile

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages suffers from a lack of, I'd say, verbally sophisticated and non-fundamental philosophically religious people.  Or, at least they aren't much for posting in the religion forums, wink.  That's one reason I think this post of Jon's (non-cynical and asking a legitimate question) is a good one, as is yours (eloquent and well put).

Not everybody is completely cynical about religion...even if the 'religionists' have made many that way (myself somewhat included).  And you know how it was with the cool kids in high school...they had a tendency to dominate certain spheres of influence.  Might as well not try out for certain activities, because there is no use in it anyway.

Hubpage religion forums also seems to attract a lot of nuts--and of course these (though they, too, as long as they are not infringing on others' rights, have the right to their beliefs) are not the same as those who go about practicing and speaking about spirituality and/or their chosen religion in a rational and intelligent way.  Some here know that...just wanted to say it.

1. rcisophie profile image60
        rcisophieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages suffers from a lack of, I'd say, verbally sophisticated and non-fundamental philosophically religious people.  Or, at least they aren't much for posting in the religion forums, wink.  That's one reason I think this post of Jon's (non-cynical and asking a legitimate question) is a good one, as is yours (eloquent and well put).

Would it be possible to separate things? One thing is Philosophy and other is Religion and people are always using Philosophy in a lot of senses that just don't match with it's meaning.
          As for me... for what I've seen... to post a comment in the religious forums its probably a waste of time. It seems a titanic effort, I didn't saw any reasonable discussing until now. LOL

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I cant even separate eggs properly lol

2. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  lol  And agreed that fundamentalism can be secular, haha, wink.

Of course the study of philosophy and religion are two different things...  They do overlap, however, such as in the case of John O'Donahue, a favorite philosopher/poet (a good one for aesthetics, I might add, too)...  Anyway, I was using the term 'philosophically' in the sense that someone would think a little deeper than just the same old bilge.

@Lita/Sophie Very intuitive responses. smile

3. Misha profile image63

Looks like you having it vice versa. Bible calls Mark fool, so its followers should not be surprised to be called fools in return, by their own rules. smile

And what rules are those?

1. Misha profile image63

Mark already noted your poor command of English. Now we see you can't even follow a simple conversation flow. Poor deity... sad

I did NOT ask you the question for my benefit.

So what are they now?

1. Misha profile image63

Try to read what I quoted originally. I know it is hard for you to understand, but try, your question was answered before you asked it. lol

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Why dont you write a hub about what you know?

4. Mark Knowles profile image57

I suggest you buy a decent dictionary and look up the words "rational" and "logical."

And yes - sorry, believing in god is not in any way rational, logical, or a reasoned position.

Yes indeed - I am doing exactly what you people have asked me to.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

So. For the last 1500 years, people who choose your irrational belief system have been calling people fools for not believing.

I believe that would classify as asking people to do unto you as you have been doing unto them? Or am I being illogical in making that conclusion?

Fortunately our society has now reached the point where I am able to do unto you as you would have me without fear of being burned at the stake, imprisoned or otherwise punished.

Too bad huh. bet you wish the good old days were back when atheists and witches could be properly dealt with. wink

It is NOT people calling one a "FOOL" if they say that God does NOT exist....it is God saying that....they just quote His words.....so take it up with Him.

If I quoted someone who said "only a jack ass plays on the freeway with his children" and then you did it.....and I called you a jack ass......ummmmm?????

Someone who does not believe in God but says He exists is NOT called a FOOL....

it is the FOOL who says He does NOT exist AT ALL

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

It is NOT people calling one a "FOOL" if they say that God does NOT exist....it is God saying that....they just quote His words.....so take it up with Him.

If I quoted someone who said "only a jack ass plays on the freeway with his children" and then you did it.....and I called you a jack ass......ummmmm?????

Someone who does not believe in God but says He exists is NOT called a FOOL....

it is the FOOL who says He does NOT exist AT ALL

Ut oh ,anyone need anything from the store lol

• earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

It was done on websites years ago, and many more have followed smile

• Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Im kidding,yes good idea smile

• ElElyone profile image60
    ElElyoneposted 14 years ago

See there Mikhail...someone quoted it for you twice. big_smile

• ElElyone profile image60
    ElElyoneposted 14 years ago

Maybe a forum asking the question:

"How far is up?"

So true Lita, the original question does not seem to have been addressed.

Bang on target.... Mark Knowles addressed atheist part satisfactorily ... but "fundamentalists" never gonna consider themselves fundamentalists.... even if they consider all views contradicting there particular religious views "wrong". lol

Like Paraglider I like the word "bilge" smile

You lost me. smile

• Shaul Stein profile image59
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

well do you think to listen to your conscience is a good idea?

I only listen 2 logic.  Concience as it comes with a lot of preconcepts since we are babies, I don't consider reliable.

oh ok, and logic, is that something that you obey after you have concluded something to be logical?
        have you sometimes come to a logical conclusion and then say 3 years later found a better logic and did that as long as the new found logic was more logical than what you previously thought to be the most logical thought on that particular subject?
        but while you were doing the older logical thing, you thought you had reached the end of the logic on the matter and would not change your mind?
        do you think that as one grows that they can gain more logic and or better logical reasons for what they do as time goes on.
        so if you had some logic and i had some logic on the same matter and we compared them, would one have more logic than the other and be able to teach them?

No. Each individual experience is unique .

what is ultimate logic then?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
              Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Artist, welcome back.

2. tantrum profile image61

It's your ultimate individual answer to your individual question.
              I have 2 go now. Nice 2 meet you! cu later

oh, so you listen to your own logic, individual logic?
                not logic as in the most logical reasoning of 2 different thoughts?
                so if 2 people talk logically, can they come to a more logical conclusion?
                therefore making the individual logic, less logical as it stands alone?
                so they come closer to the ultimate logic on the matter being discussed?

If I'm talking of individual logic, is logic for my personal doings and welfare. If I'm having a dialogue with someone else , that's another matter. Why would we want or have to arrive at the same conclusion? I have my logic, the other person has his. You have another way of seeing things, so? I'm using my logic, you're using your concience I suppose. We will never agree. Who's right and who's wrong ? Can you answer that question? I don't think so. And that's what life is about, in an abstract way. If you want to get your feelings involved, that's your choice, not mine.

do you think it is logical to be patient and explain to others when they ask you for reasons why you believe the way you do?
    i mean, you say you listen only to logic, is this logical not to be patient?

so if i am teaching a student how to do something and he claims to have a logical reason why my teaching is not as good as his logic and then i show him to be wrong with an experiment in front of class.
    would i not be found to have more logic than the student?
    could my logic not be greater than his and he then learn?
    thus making his logic, illogical?

• dc2004 profile image60
    dc2004posted 14 years ago

The original post,
    "My question for very religious folks....Do you believe other beliefs and practices wrong?"
    While I don't consider myself very religious I do consider myself very Christian.  I believe other beliefs and practices wrong, I believe my belief system to be right that's why I believe it.  The only reason I answered this question is because you asked it, I'm embarrassed when Christians try to push their beliefs "down others throats", this is not how Jesus Christ did it.

ok then, can one person have a greater logical understanding of something and teach the other person his logic if the person will listen to reason beyond his own?

Every person have to learn by his own. Nobody has a greater understanding than other. That's what brings all the misunderstanding among people. Believing you have the truth. I can't teach you anything, I can only show you several ways to achieve what you want. And that, if I think I know more than you.Then you'll have to do the choice.

so does the master concert pianist, who also can play jazz, rock, blues and anything else on the piano.
        does he not have a greater understanding of the piano?
        could the others not learn from him if they wanted to know all that he did?
        or does learning not come into the picture anymore for you?
        because you have your own logic?

You're not making sense. I'm talking abstract here. What a piano player have to do with all we were talking about? You go to art  school to learn piano. You don't need your concience to go there right? Or learning piano is a matter of morals? Think big!

i was just wondering if people who think like you and listen only to their logic, can and do they learn from others and ever say something like "hey thanks for taking the time to teach me that man"

nobody ever taught me the logic of life. That, I thank myself for. Other teachings I always thank.But they are only teachings for daily life in this planet, which I don't consider much

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK, but you based your beliefs on what? Surely, it is partly what you have read and heard and seen from others that helped you form your beliefs??

2. Shaul Stein profile image59

so if you are taught things for daily life on this planet, do you think those who taught you them are using logic or just making it up?

/50 % use their concience and their society preconcepts, 30% makes it up, 15 % use some kind of logic and 5 % thinks like I do. That doesn't mean we're right. It's only a way of seeing things

Well said. I often wonder what people really think deep down.Thoughts like " If I believe what I am saying, why do I sell it so hard?" and other stuff I don't like to hear about myself! smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

I was just wondering if people who think they have something to teach, when they do not, ever realize that they have been teaching nonsense?

I also wonder if they ever stop and say, "wow, thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for explaining the difference between logical reasoning and taking something on faith and attempting to twist a logical argument to suit after the fact." wink

As all our learning comes from others anyway, I see no problem in learning that I am wrong. I know that I wasn't the only one! smile

• tantrum profile image61

No. I don't believe in anything that has to do with human beliefs

ok, so if you have beliefs, and you are human, what are they and what are they based on?
      how did you come to the conclusions that caused you to believe them?
      define your logic please.

I don't think like a human. I think beyond. Difficult 2 explain as it's all abstract thinking.

• tantrum profile image61

And I can b a joker as well! . Mostly what I do in a Forum cool

I think that is fine! I always enjoy your thoughts anyway. smile

cool   Cool ,Cool. earnest! I wrote a limerik about you. Did u like it ? I's somewhre in the limeriks

It's bloody marvelous! I loved it so much I wrote one back to you! smile

Where is it?? !!

It's there honest!

• Post a Reply
    jump to first post

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)