jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Prayer in School

1. 0
    ftgfmomposted 7 years ago

Has anyone done a report or would like to with stats on violence in our schools before and after prayer was taken out of our schools? I would love to see it.

2. myra636 profile image60
    myra636posted 7 years ago

I don't think so but it sounds like a good idea.

3. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

You gave me an idea for a Hub (thanks  smile  ).

1. 0
      ftgfmomposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Can't wait to read it! smile

4. MontyApollo profile image62
    MontyApolloposted 7 years ago

Actually, you can still pray in school if you want to; it is just now nobody can tell you or try to persuade you to.

A potential problem with the stats you seek will be that if violence has gotten progressively worse over time, then someone can pick any event they want (i.e. the introduction of video games) and fit it to the numbers.

5. 0
    ftgfmomposted 7 years ago

My grandson was praying before he ate and a teacher told him that he had to stop. He wasn't allowed to pray. He was about 7 at the time and he had been taught to pray before he ate and the teacher was telling him that he can't.
      When I posted the question, I was thinking about The Lords Prayer.

6. Sasha S profile image81
    Sasha Sposted 7 years ago

Well, when I was at school (am at university now) every day we all gathered in the main hall, sung a hymn, listened to a reading from the bible, recited the lord's prayer and then had the day's announcements. It was the same at my previous school as well - personally (as an atheist) I had absolutely no problem with it at all; if you don't believe in god, a hymn is just a song - nothing wrong with singing - passages from the bible are harmless and, if anything, are beneficial with their tales of morality; and lastly, praying is not something we were ever forced to do - we were merely asked to be silent for a few minutes while those that wanted to did so. The point I'm making is this, there is no reason why prayer should have been taken out of schools - it does no harm and doesn't force anyone into anything, the UK and USA are both christian countries whether we like it or not so why not cater to the mainstream religion?

As for violence, I really don't think the statistics would show anything of any consequence. Prayers were normally held at the very start of the day so what you may instead get is a statistic based on violence before and after the beginning of the school day.