jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)

Anybody know of any good religious artists?

1. Sasha S profile image80
    Sasha Sposted 7 years ago

Having just been doing a load of research on religious paintings by John Martin for a hub I've published, I'm curious to know if there are many other classical / romantic religious artists of a similarly high caliber (other than Michelangelo (of sistine chapel fame))? I guess this could be broadened to what's your favourite piece of religious art?

Mine has to be The Fall of Babylon by John Martin: http://abrancoalmeida.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/an00037588_001.jpg

2. 0
    Pacal Votanposted 7 years ago

I'm not into art, Sasha, but this is just amazing!

3. Sanctus Vesania profile image61
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 7 years ago

The only religious artists I'm greatly familiar with now (other than Micheangelo) are Gustave Dore (Illustrator for John Milton's "Paradise Lost" and "The Divine Comedy" by that other guy) and William Blake.   Most of Gustav Dore's images appear to be black and white etchings, and the works of William Blake are usually water color.

1. Sasha S profile image80
      Sasha Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Raven, Paradise Lost, those Doré ones are amazing! I'd heard of him before, but only in passing - had never actually seen his work!

This one struck me as particularly sinister:
      http://www.artpassions.net/cgi-bin/dore … er_won.jpg

4. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Good heavens!  So many.

Try Caravaggio:

5. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

For those who can handle it, and have a sense of humor (hey, the guy was VERY religious, wink), Hieronymus Bosch, circa 1504:

A detail:

From the diptych (*edit, oop, triptych):

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Lita can you fix the link? I have seen this before, and would love a peak again! smile

2. sunforged profile image67
      sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

there is a lot of fun speculation about Bosch ..a lot of references to alchemy..very possibly his subject matter had no reference to religion as we see it...he just had to get a paycheck from someone

6. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago
    1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Lita. smile

1. 0
        Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

7. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Mark Knowles is gonna love me. lol!  Religious works don't always mean goody-two-shoe-ness...  Renaissance and Baroque painters often used biblical themes as narrative staging for paintings.

Susanna and the Elders, Artemisia Gentileschi, early 17th century, about rape:

8. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 7 years ago

I think Two of the most original and beautiful are, Ghirlandaio and Francisco de Zurbaran. I don't have any link, but you can google them. I hope you like them.

9. 0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

10. Sanctus Vesania profile image61
    Sanctus Vesaniaposted 7 years ago

I can't believe that Hieronymus Bosch slipped my mind.

Corrado Giaquinto.  I'm particularly fond of the painting "Satan Before the Lord"

11. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

Seriously! almost all art was religious before the renaissance

The list of religious art would be larger than the non-religious!

My favorites:

Caravaggio (who is also a Michelangelo)

El greco

12. Amanda Severn profile image88
    Amanda Severnposted 7 years ago

William Holman Hunt painted a lot of religious and moral allegories in the 19th century. He was one of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, and some of his religious stuff has quite a dark edge to it. Here's one:

This is an illustration of Jesus being found after wandering off to the temple.

13. atomswifey profile image70
    atomswifeyposted 7 years ago

This artwork was done by a young girl whose name is Akiane
    her gallery of work she began at the age of 4

Here is the link:

1. wrenfrost56 profile image83
      wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I watched a documentry on her, just amazeing. Thanks all for the pictures, they really do stir the soul.