You Don't Have To Come Here!!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Fairbear profile image59
    Fairbearposted 14 years ago

On a rather consistent basis in this forum, posts pop up in which hubbers express how ridiculous they think the religion forum is because of all the back-and-forth arguing that takes place here. These hubbers chime in on an argument just to say that the arguers are stupid for arguing, and to interject their own opinion that hubbers ought to keep their beliefs to themselves, etc. etc. These are the same hubbers that claim that they themselves stay away from the religion forum because it's a waste of time!!

Arguing and debating is a good thing. Browsing through all the threads and posts on this forum, you will find that a great majority of the posts express some kind of disagreement. Even the hubbers I mentioned above are expressing their opposing views. This forum is clear evidence that people like to debate! Debate stimulates a part of our minds that nothing else stimulates. Some of us have a need to question the opposite side, receive a response, question again, and continue on until satisfied, or until the subject is dead. This kind of activity is healthy and natural. It sharpens our perceptions of ourselves and the social world in which we live.

There would be no such thing as religion if everyone in the world believed the same thing. There would be no need to label any belief system with a name or call it "the truth." When a person expresses their religious views, they are essentially expressing their identity as it can be distinguished from all those whose beliefs differ from theirs. If no belief differed from theirs, there would be no need to express their belief. It would just be understood, like the air we all breath. In this way, debate is integral to religious expression.

In short. If you don't like the arguing that goes on here, then stop involving yourself in it. There are plenty of other forums and threads where you can spend your time. As for me, I like to debate, and I like to talk to other hubbers who like to debate. When you come to this forum only to express that it is a waste of time, you make an idiot out of yourself.

Happy Hubbing.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i happen to agree with you fairbear. it seems to me if you don't like something, the best thing to do is ignore it. there are some topics i never even bother reading because i know they will either be uninteresting to me or annoy me. i certainly won't tell my fellow hubbers what to do.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually you are wrong! tongue

For example, if you don't like dirty dishes at home, the best way is to wash them, not to ignore lol

2. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

why did i not think of that myself..... thanks a lot

3. atomswifey profile image57
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

Very well said Fairbear! smile

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

RAmen! smile

5. quietnessandtrust profile image61
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

Does this mean all the idiots who do that will now go away? smile

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

as they are idiots they wouldn't know he is talking about them big_smile

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey! Whos he talking about anyway?

Tantrum whats up man? Have a good day?

Hi sneak !! Yeah! How about you ? smile

6. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'm okay with disagreements on the religious forum, so long as it is a debate and not just people sticking jabs at each other.

Argue the topic at hand or admit you just came to bop someone in the head ... Fact is, I'm willing to listen to any point of view, regardless of how much it differs from my own, but I'm not willing to be told I need to read more or that I am wrong to have the beliefs I chose to have.

Please note, it's okay for someone to tell me that what I believe in is wrong, but I won't accept anyone telling me I am wrong to believe as I chose. The difference is simple ... allow me to believe what I want and I will allow you to do the same.

So, I too invite lively debate, so long as it doesn't fall off into the kind of drivel where one person demands they are right and everyone else must be wrong because their beliefs are different.

They say 'an eye for an eye', and I say 'respect received will be given'

I allow you to believe what you want. Then....What else is there to say ? yikes

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

... that I allow you to do the same. smile

And the thread will die quietly big_smile

2. underhiswings profile image60
      underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know of One Person who can say "the rest of you are wrong" and He has often told them what to believe, but they will not. smile

7. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hey, Yoshi, with all due respect your beliefs are dead wrong! wink

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehe ... trance boy came to play did he?

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberry! smile

and now we return you to your previous thread! dada!

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh, so this is how you want to be addressed, exactly? wink

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yep, I saw this and thought, I wonder if this will work or not? I will have something to say here at some point no doubt. smile

9. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

and the beat goes on..........and the beat goes onnnnnnnn

10. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

"My way or the highway" is common on all religious forums. smile

11. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

Fairbear, I just realized you haven't written any hubs, whose alter ego are you?

12. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

And the thread quietly dies........

13. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Personally,

I hate the religion forum. I am all for everyone following there own god or gods or no gods at all-whatever. What I hate is coming onto the forums and seeing about 5-10 religion topics on the front page that just seem pointless to me because no one would ever win because you can't change a followers mind who has been believing in the same thing for years!

Some people are truly religious nuts, I know. They live, breathe, and Hub for their respected lord. And then theirs the people who go to church on Sundays and feel the need to tell people how to live. Then there's the people who believe in god but don't actively go to church.

What do the atheists think?

I am thinking a great feature for logged in Hubbers is the option to add or subtract whatever forum topics they want from the main thread.

~thranax~

14. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Guilty, I've said coming here was a waste of time before but I was wrong time is what you make of it. Admittedly if you don't have thick skin the forums may not be the best place to come. However if you use the forums as a place to explore new ideas and flesh them out before writing then good for you. Debate is part of humans. Some will always disagree and call you a butt head or even worse an idiot. If you are easily influenced by others once again I would caution you to stay away. As for me, I'll admit I just think its entertaining to watch people argue their cause, sometimes I even learn a thing or two and go back and look something up.

15. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

Doesn't the problem come from the debaters, themselves?  Normally, the name-calling and mud-slinging comes from those who are involved in the debate.  Am I missing something?

16. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Some good, strong, rational thoughts here.

Being provoked to argue is not about destroying another person. It's about causing them to rethink their position and looking at a different perspective which may lead to new personal truths.

In that regard, I find the religion forums irresistable, as apparently so many others of us do, too. I certainly don't feel all alone in my thoughts about religion here! LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)