jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)

A Christian is not a religionist...

1. Andrew0208 profile image60
    Andrew0208posted 7 years ago

A Christian is not a religionist... Why do I say that? Christ was always against religion and it's associated politics in His earthly days. The play of religion comes in when a man "makes" his life for the law instead of law for his life. Christianity and Religion; Could they be rivals?

1. Sanctus Vesania profile image60
      Sanctus Vesaniaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Could they be rivals?

Yes.

1. Jerami profile image78
        Jeramiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure if rivals is the best word to use but yes.
        I think that religiosity is a predator that a true christian must continuously guard against. It is not safe to travel in the mainstream

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sanctus said it best for a few of us.  lol  But then 'she' always seems to.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would say yes.  Unfortunately if you ask a lot of Christians they will say that religion is more important. sad

1. Jerami profile image78
        Jeramiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

unfortunately you are rite. When a persons faith becomes more important than the thing that they say they have faith in.
            legalization of interpretation was the downfall.
            If ya believe in him, ya gotta believe what he said.
            your faith in what he said cain't become more important than what he said.

2. Andrew0208 profile image60
        Andrew0208posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Truly religion is a big problem among people including some Christians. Why? They hypocritically project religious laws they don't observe to do. See what happened as recorded in the Bible where a woman was caught in the very act of adultery by religious people including priests and really wanted to stone her to death. You read what happened as Jesus intervened in the matter by asking anyone among them to cast stones if free of the same supposed sin. This also reminds me of a striking thread I started sometime last year titled "Who Is A Christian?" 

Religion is a BIG disease among men!

1. Sybil Marie profile image79
          Sybil Marieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Someone gave me this cool little stone I used to carry in my pocket with the quote "He who is without sin let him cast the first stone" I like that it reminds me I should not be judging anyone.....just an aside I recently found out that the word sin was an archery term that means "to miss the mark" 
          To answer the original question I totally agree that Faith is god made, religion is man made.

3. Daniel Carter profile image89
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The New Testament is evidence that Christ ridiculed the acceptable establishment, and mixed with the dregs of society. He was a threat to religion and its hierarchy. In essesnce, I would agree that religion rarely (if ever) represents what Christ was getting at.

I am not a proponent of religion. Religions act as final word in behalf of God to pass judgment, when in actual fact, there is no middle man between ourselves and God. Hence the religious foulness that I often see, I usually can attribute to a religios based teaching. And, further those teachings often in turn get twisted in their interpretations by zealot individuals and groups.

I think there are many rivals in the subject of religion/God/Jesus. However, anything that brings unrest, brings imbalance, brings illness, negativity, are not in harmony with the teachings of Christ. Seems a simple and clear message to me.

1. quietnessandtrust profile image59
        quietnessandtrustposted 7 years ago in reply to this

"there is no middle man between ourselves and God."

For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and people. He is the man Christ Jesus.  1 Timothy 2:5

4. emdi profile image73
      emdiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Mathew 16: 13-19, Jesus says to Peter," You are Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

I think its more of an idea of a church than a religion.
      cool

Christianity is a walk of faith in God(Spirit) not in a church or religion. This walk  is far beyond the sensory concepts of self, science, and religion. Anyone can quote and preach or refer to the scriptures and still not believe the Spirit and the Power therein, that's also a typical religionist.

1. emdi profile image73
          emdiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Some one who opposed church and religion once told me, "I dont like Christians  because they have to follow certain rules " Without rules how can a system work? How can a country run without rules? If Christianity is just a walk of faith in God(Spirit), its like saying, I have complete faith in American system, but I don't want to obey its laws. It doesnot make sense to me. Also, US constitution has its rules but if say, I will obey only what I like, how can one be its citizen?

1. quietnessandtrust profile image59

People who do not follow the instructions of Christ are none of His.
            He said "if you love Me, then follow My instructions"

Someone can be a citizen of the USA and not follow it's laws and or rules or the constitution.....and you find those "citizens" in a prison.

I call it precepts(laws) of faith which is also anchored on love. Remember, Christ operated better on these faith(Spiritual) laws rather than mere religious laws. A believer in Christ is justified in faith.

5. Valerie F profile image59
      Valerie Fposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hardly. Jesus was all in favor of what he called "true religion."

Supposed "true" or "false" religion has never been a walk of faith but people using it to cast man to the law instead of "love" which is the anchor of any supposed religious law.

2. quietnessandtrust profile image59

Actually James called it that.
        But I know what you mean.

Jesus said that they who worship God must worship Him in spirit and in truth. big_smile

6. A_to_J profile image60
      A_to_Jposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Very true, I have never considered myself to be a religionist or even liked that word attached to my relationship with Christ.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

I think its just another label, and its a convenient one for those not interested in knowing the difference. IMHO. smile

3. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

My definition of a religionist is anyone who claims that their god runs my life. smile

1. Misha profile image75
      Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Which includes quite a few Christians smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My teenage sons try to run my life lol

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Teenage sons are like that! Had a couple of them. They both had a go at running their mums lives. Sorta like teenage mum love gone wrong! lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Seriously (and I love him to bits) used to wait up for me!!
          I was 40 ahem at the time, lol AND he had the nerve to give me a lecture on being irresponsible lol in front of the neighbours , payback? lol

1. earnestshub profile image87
            earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

and usually very self righteous as well!
            Ya gotta love the payback, or be able to laugh at yourself! lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    3. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Uh Oh big_smile

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And that they're going to help me on my way to heaven big_smile

4. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

I have known both and they are quite different in their perspectives.

As individual as everyone here Id say.

5. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 7 years ago

"RELIGIONIST"?
    A stupid concoction of a word IMO.
    Meaningless, too! sad

6. quietnessandtrust profile image59
    quietnessandtrustposted 7 years ago

I am so very glad that Messiah did NOT come to start a new religion.

He is The King of the Jews, The Savior and The Messiah.....not a religion as in a man made invention.

working