jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

The Course In Miracles

1. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 7 years ago

Has anyone heard of this book? If so, I would like some feedback before I involve myself in it.

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, heard of it, studied it some. It's a complete paradigm shift. In essence, is says that everything in this life is an illusion, that the only thing that truly is real is our connection to God. When we pretend we are not connected to him, it is still only our illusion, and when we realize that we can't NOT be connected to him, we begin to need the things of this life less and less.

All wrongdoing, sin, etc., is really not sin, but a clear sign of needing a course correction. We have strayed, and the evidence of straying is the consequence of our actions/thoughts.

When we are wronged by others, it's like being wronged by someone in a dream. When we wake from the dream, we don't call 911 to report assault, because it was only an illusion. Therefore, the only way to deal with being wronged is to forgive it, because it, too, like everything in this life, is an illusion.

It's not for everyone, and it's rather trippy. However, that being said, there are foundational things in the course that are rather wonderful in helping one find his/her center, and finding peace and satisfaction in this life.

Usually people who start the course drift away, but at some point many come back to study it more indepth.

I did an intense study for several months, which I enjoyed. I think there are many aspects of it that are valuable. However, I don't follow any prescribed way of thinking or believing at this point. The one thing a Course in Miracles did for me is help me make sense of all the tragedy and trauma I've had in my life, and help me to live independently of it. In that regard, it has given me a new life.

But each must choose for him/herself. If you seem to gravitate toward the concepts, then pursue it. If not, there is a different path for you. It's different for each person.

2. seyiari profile image58
      seyiariposted 7 years ago in reply to this

go and get it. no knowledge is lost

2. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 7 years ago

I've dipped in and out of the book over the years.At one point I managed to manifest a paperback copy in my local second hand bookshop at a very reasonable price (which helped).

The book itself can be a guide to change a particular way of thinking about life and suffering.There are a great may useful lessons in there.

I'm also one of those people who will take what i need at the time and move on, this is how I approach spiritual books.

The one thing I would caution is to allow a book "posess" you.If that happens then the point is lost.

3. tiginban profile image60
    tiginbanposted 7 years ago

I've looked at excerpts from the book and, as far as I can tell it's coming from the right place. I'd like to hear feedback too.
    I think sometimes we're ready for a book and sometimes we're not. I find myself picking up books that I didn't understand and enjoying them 2nd time around. Or, I find, magic occurs when you re-read a spiritual book - it's like words and meaning appear on the page that weren't there before and you grow and expand with each read.
    ......or else you think it's crap and give it to charity store.

4. Shealy Healy profile image61
    Shealy Healyposted 7 years ago

A Course in Miracles generally teaches the reader to release negative thoughts and beliefs and replace them with positive ones. The idea behind the miracle is this-what you place your mind on is most likely to be attracted to you.

5. drej2522 profile image86
    drej2522posted 6 years ago

I think the movie, Matrix, is a good way to help a beginner understand it.