jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)

Taoism

1. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 9 years ago

While it's not a religion per se, and I'm not an adherent (if there is such a thing), I've found taoism a fascinating philosophy and one that probably most closely resonates with the way I think the universe works.

I probably won't write much here on the tenets/beliefs of Taoism (those would be better served in a hub), but I wanted to know if anyone else had an interest or knowledge in the subject.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Hi livelonger,

I am interested in knowing your perspectives on the Tao. What is it about the philosophy that most closely resonates with the way you think the universe works? Please, would you pick any point and elaborate a bit for me?

Thank you,

SparklingJewel

2. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 8 years ago in reply to this

t
      Taoism is knowledge of Tao the unseen or god.It is  remarkable ,truths of the highest order.
      Poet Mohit.K.Misra

1. mohitmisra profile image59

Taoism is mainly credited to Lao-Tse
        It is a mixture of philosophy by the great Chinese philosophers.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 9 years ago

Sure I will be interested to read more on the Taoism. We all need somebody showing the way smile

3. 0
    sandra rinckposted 8 years ago

balance. purest form always being in the center.

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

is it a koan?

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 8 years ago in reply to this

huh?

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Koan is a short statement or question that cannot be perceived logically, and requires a kind of intuitive knowledge or spiritual enlightenment to be understood. smile

5. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Koans are Buddhist, not Taoist, as far as I know.

Jenny

1. Misha profile image75
      Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I don't think they are that different, especially in China, but I may be wrong of course smile

6. jdeschene profile image61
    jdescheneposted 8 years ago

I'm very interested in Taoism.  Admittedly, I've been lax in looking for information about it.  Does anyone have any reccommended reading?

1. Betty HouseWife profile image71
      Betty HouseWifeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The classic text is the Tao Te Ching attributed to Lao Tzu. The first ever copy I read was sub-titled 'An Illustrated Journey' and was beautiful to look at as well - highly recommended.

A fun introduction to the subject can be found in Benjamin Hoff's The Tao of Pooh which explains the way of Tao through the children's literature of Pooh Bear. Sound weird but it works!

1. jdeschene profile image61
        jdescheneposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks so much for the tips.  I'll look these up.  smile

7. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

A koan might be like the taoist, 'the bowl is made with sides all around, but the use of the bowl depends upon the space within'.

8. H. P. Loveboat profile image87
    H. P. Loveboatposted 8 years ago

Taoism is actually practiced as a religion, though in is not a very large one and the religious practices rarely reach us here. We get the philosophical and hygienic forms of Taoism. As a religion, Taoism believes in actively creating balance in the lives of a community through rituals performed by specially designated priests who are well trained in such things. As a philosophy, Taoism is much different than it's religious form and here is closest to Buddhism. It does not seek to manipulate the universe to attain balance, but to embrace the balance that is already present. Hygienic Taoism is the belief that vital energy called chi can be harnessed to better the physical and spiritual self. Tai Chi is a type of hygienic Taoism.

Buddhism in China has assimilated many Taoist practices and beliefs, since Buddha never set out to change the religious views already present in a land. But compared to pure Buddhism, Taoism is quite different. Taoism has a heavy focus on understanding how the universe operates and how best a human should work within it. Buddhism does not bother to offer an explanation of how the universe came to be, or why because in that philosophy, such knowledge is unnecessary to attain enlightenment. In fact, it is inhibitory of enlightenment. If you went to Buddha and asked how the universe came to be, he would accuse you of having an unhealthy preoccupation and attachment to such things, and that you should forget the question because it is bothering you. Only then could you truly be happy.

A koan is a saying that practitioners of Zen Buddhism learn to help them overcome the logical mind. What is the sound of one hand clapping? What did your face look like before your ancestors were born? Etc... These make no sense and the practitioner is to focus on these intently until they are comfortable with the nonsense. Acceptable answers to koans have been kicking a ball, barking like a dog, taking one's shoes off and setting them on one's head, slapping the questioner, and claiming that Buddha never existed and that enlightenment doesn't exist. The answer must be equally nonsensical to the question.

9. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

You say nothing. But you have certainly pretty much taken over the religion forum with you and only your name in lights. You're a fascist, and as is the case of all fascists - it's all about you. And you will end up all by yourself. So Long.

1. mohitmisra profile image59

Truth has and will allways win.I speak the truth.
      Poet Mohit.K.Misra

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Please stop lying. Thank you.

10. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Mark, you missed his very erudite demonstration of the Greek paradox ...

Jenny

working