jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

If I'm not overstepping my bounds... Some Ground Rules.

1. BartholomewKlick profile image82
    BartholomewKlickposted 8 years ago

Religion is a hot topic, both in the sense that everyone wants to talk about it, and that it causes tempers to flare.  Communicating on the internet, we have a unique ability to think about what we're going to say for as long as we like.  The conversation moves and never really leaves anyone behind.  It is a wonderful aspect of internet conversation and debate, and it is especially useful in the area of self moderation.

It is very easy to upset someone, and very easy for someone to upset you--without ever really intending to.  So I'd like to establish a few informal rules for participating in the religious forum, as well as religious hubs.

Think about your reply.  This goes double if you're angry.  The hubmunity is brought together by words, a desire to write, and a desire to have recognition for writing.  Attacking another religion is a cheap tactic to attract traffic, and I will move to boycott anyone who proves to be so childish.  With all the time you need to compose a reply, there is absolutely no reason on earth not to be respectful.

Be considerate of other people's beliefs if you decide to question them.  Religious people of every type have had to be defensive about their beliefs at one point or another.  Religions need to be questioned, both by doubters seeking debate, and by the curious, seeking to learn.  But as it is next to impossible to convey the inflection of our tones through text, people questioning another religion should be especially clear in their intent, tone, and meaning.

Co-exist without bigotry.  I don't think we should allow any sort of anti-other-religion sentiment here.  Bigotry would make the Hubmunity look bad.  If you find it offensive that Muslim Women obey a dress code, or that Buddha statues are fat, or that the Bible depicts violence, make your points in a respectful way, and do not use language that openly condemns any aspect of another religion.  Ideas are different, not wrong.  We do not need anti-christian, anti-muslim, anti-jew, or anti-anything else here.

If a debate is done, let it be done--know when to agree to disagree.  Theological debates can go in circles forever, and it only makes good reading material the first two or three times.

Don't touch the nest if you can't handle the wasps.  Even in respectful tones, religious debate can get heated.  If you aren't mentally prepared for someone to violently disagree with you, don't pose the question.  If you go looking for trouble and then find it, don't be surprised if no one is there to bail you out.  Start a thread about contradictions in the bible?  Expect Christian hubbers to answer, and you'd better be polite when they do.  Start a thread stating the Buddha never existed?  Be prepared to face the fiery reply of all three Buddhists on Hubpages. :-)

Be open-minded.  No one is asking you to convert.  They're asking you to consider, reflect, and reply.

I think that about covers it.  If I missed anything, feel free to add to the list.

2. Betty Jo Petty profile image59
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 8 years ago

I'm pretty new to Hub Pages. 

I just found this thread.  Is there only one forum, covering all different religions?

I'm Christian.  My name is Betty Jo.  I think I can see an article forming.

I am glad you have started this forum for Religion.  I do see the need for different threads for different views, so they could be discussed more easily.

I do think there should be a main Religious Forum, with other divisions, but I guess that's where writers can open another topic.

I'm beginning to confuse myself.

I know how to discuss Christian topics, but I would have not many ideas on other religions. 

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to suggest?  Also, if everyone is grouped in the same forum, and being so diverse, will that lead to disagreements, and hopefully, not arguments.  I do not think religion should be for arguing.  Can't we agree?

Betty Jo, sorry, looks like I'm on the wrong page. bj

1. BartholomewKlick profile image82
      BartholomewKlickposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I apologize, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

If a man grew up with a back yard, and never saw anything but that back yard, he would likely find it very difficult to discuss stars, mountains, oceans, nebula, and forests.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image88
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think we can manage a forum for discussion.  It is a good start to learn how to live in a world full of diverse people with different religions.

I hope so, anyway.

Betty Jo, I see what you are saying.  Religion is the topic.  Create threads for different ideas.  Just as Politics is a topic, the different threads created can cover different political beliefs and ideas.  Or, Pets is a topic...but, we know there are many different kinds of pets, so you can create different threads.

3. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

LOL looks like we (myself included) are more obsessed with setting the rules on this forum, than with discussing religions wink

4. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 8 years ago

Hey all,

I second the guidelines that BartholomewKlick offered. If anyone really needs guidelines, they are sound and a very good place to start a discussion. If someone has a problem with them, what is that problem in respect to discussing religious aspects?

5. Peter M. Lopez profile image93
    Peter M. Lopezposted 8 years ago

The ground rules sound good...

...but, as a Christian, in the real New Testament sense, haven't we been set free from the law???

Aren't we being religious by setting up rules?  smile

1. 0
      SirDentposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Jesus fulfilled the law. He did that when He died on the cross. We in turn must also fulfill the law ourselves. We also must die for we are all guilty. The law actually proves all guilty. If the law is broken then the one who breaks it is guilty.

I know this doesn't fully answer your question, but it's a starting point.

6. gamergirl profile image62
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

Interesting question and answer, Peter and SirDent.  big_smile  Maybe you guys should bounce back and forth a topic about that.  wink

7. gamergirl profile image62
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

-bumps this one too-

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

So Gamegirl when were you hired as a moderator? Or are you a
    closet cop?