jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Religion, a la Gamergirl

1. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

My spiritual journey may best be described as the winding path.  I was raised by an Episcopalian and a near-Agnost, but my parents had a firm view that they would not thrust any particular religious path on their children.

As a result, I spent my early self-aware years with an open mind and open heart.  At four years old I was moved by a service at a large Episcopalian church, and began reading the bible for fun.  After elementary school my parents experienced spiritual changes of heart, both of them converting (if you can call finding the spiritual path that makes your soul feel free, loved and worshipful conversion) to Paganism.  My father identifies more with shamanic teachings, my mother with Celtic Witchcraft.

Imagine if you will a scrawny 11 year old girl, all limbs and uncertain angles, approaching a priestess of a circle and asking to be Initiated.  Yep, that was me, 11 years old and I knew all the answers.  Anyway, the end result of the two and a half hour discussion that this lady and I had was that she would accept my question again in three years, during which time I was to learn, read and explore as much in regard to world religion as I possibly could.

I did just as she asked.  For three years I read, researched and discovered an even wider world of religion than I ever thought possible.  I read hundreds of books, from paperback pamphlets from churches to translated texts of Kabbalah, rubbings and translations of Egyptian myths and legends, you name it. 

During this time I was also introduced to a lovely lady who spoke to me about faith and religion as if I were an adult.  After several hours of talking to me (at the expense of not speaking to the two dozen others around except when I went off to help my mother and when ritual occurred) she asked me to call her "Momma Silver."  Later, when we left circle that night I asked my mother who the lady was, only to find out that it was none other than influential and wise Lady Silver Ravenwolf.  I was shocked!

-to be continued-

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Charlotte, I envy you smile And I'm dying to hear the rest of the story...

3. Guru-C profile image56
    Guru-Cposted 8 years ago

Dear Charlotte:

This is a fascinating story!!!!!   Please continue!!!!!!!!

Warmest Regards,

4. Kenny Wordsmith profile image84
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 8 years ago

Yes, then what happened?

5. funride profile image78
    funrideposted 8 years ago

I read gamergirl post like it was a hub, a great hub http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_13_3.gif!

Now I just canĀ“t wait to read the rest of it!

6. gamergirl profile image61

Hmmm.  *giggles* I think I may make it into a hub.

I'll finish this story as soon as I get home from work, my dear readers.  This tale of my soul-searching is far from over!

7. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Definitely Hubworthy.

8. LisaG profile image61
    LisaGposted 8 years ago

Really interesting gamergirl, I look forward to reading the hub that I know will write.  Inspires me to do one on myself.

9. gamergirl profile image61

I've written the remainder of the story I wanted to share.  I've also set it to the "None" ad setting, because I don't believe that such a personal story should be used for profit. 

Please enjoy, and I apologize if it seems like I rambled.

10. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

I will read it, but not today. I have a terrible flue, and my head hurts sad I want to be able to fully appreciate your way smile

11. gamergirl profile image61

Awww Misha!! Get better soon!

12. Blaine561 profile image61
    Blaine561posted 8 years ago

My parents were the exact opposite, didn't believe in "religion" or "religious people",but still insisted on sending us kids to Sunday school every week until I said, "I didn't want to go any more."  "Fine," said my Mom and that was that.

Years later I started exploring the many religions of the world and even became a practicing Satanist for a short while, talked to a few "Spirits", but when I looked back at all the religions, I discovered they all had a bit of it right, unfortunately only a very little bit.

Add them all together and they make a great philosophy of life, be nice to others and hope they will be nice back.  I wrote a piece about 8 years ago, put it on a website long since gone, and called it something like "My Rant on the Church".  Basicly it was, but it also professed how to get the ball rolling, maybe I'll make it into a hub or see if I can find it on google.

Waiting for the rest of your story wink

13. gamergirl profile image61

The rest of my story, or rather an extended version of the short version of it, can be found here:

Gamergirl's Spirital Journey