jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

A Heavenly Language

1. aoiffe379 profile image61
    aoiffe379posted 7 years ago

During a recent conference,the speaker presented'baptism in the Holy Ghost'as evident by speaking a'prayer language'in an unknown tongue.She used a chart to show salvation by law and salvation by faith with evidence of an overflow of the Holy Spirit.Well, two person went forward for baptism in the Holy Ghost.She provided them with information.One person spoke in an unknown tongue immediately. The other was simply praising God saying 'hallelujah!''Jesus!' 'Jesus hold me up!'The speaker told her to stop thinking in English and to let go of the religious spirit.Well,her 'tongues' never manifested.
    There are two 'camps' for tongues.The person who did not get the manifestation rode with me.She does not believe 'tongues' can be taught;and she desires only the 'genuine'.I believe tongues is a known language;and the language of heaven is 'Holy!Holy!Holy! Lord God almighty.The whole earth is filled with your glory!'While I do not disregard 'unknown tongues' as I have friends in that 'camp' I do not consider it as the only evidence of the presence of the Holy Ghost? Where do you stand on this topic?

2. Leelin profile image61
    Leelinposted 7 years ago

I attended a church in which talking in tongues was an every service occurrence. I for one just never bought into it at all. It was a bunch of people saying the same phrase over and over. In the bible tongues were used to communicate with people whose language the speaker didn't know. It wasn't used as someones "prayer language". I think God understands us in our own language, don't you? Anyway, I think people need to keep an open mind and not think their way is necessarily the only way. Who knows maybe God loves us all Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Catholics,ect. ect. These are just some of my thoughts on the subject, but hey, I reserve the right to be wrong.

3. atomswifey profile image70
    atomswifeyposted 7 years ago

The gifts of the spirit manifest themselves in us at different times. for this to be "taught" I would have to be a skeptic on that. I do not believe we are taught those things as they are gifts from God, His Spirit.

I have spoke in tongues. It is unlike anything I have ever experienced before and it was not "taught" to me. It just sort of happened. I had no control over it and it was not, as one has put here, "the same saying over and over".

I believe the speaking of tongues is one way for our spirit man to communicate directly with God. While speaking it confuses the evil spirits in this world as they cannot interpret what the Spirit of God is saying to the church nor what our spirit man is saying to God.
    That is what I believe anyway smile

4. ionerice profile image59
    ionericeposted 7 years ago

Speaking in tongue is known as glossolalia and gibberish.  It’s not related to what took place on the day of Pentecost and wasn’t introduced to the Christian community until the early 1900’s.

5. bayareagreatthing profile image82
    bayareagreatthingposted 7 years ago

Here are the verses related to the subject:

Mark 16:17
    And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

Acts 2:3
    They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.

Acts 2:4
    All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Acts 2:11
    (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"

Acts 10:46
    For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Acts 19:6
    When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

1 Corinthians 12:10
    to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:28
    And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:30
    Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues ? Do all interpret?

1 Corinthians 13:1
    [ Love ] If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Corinthians 13:8
    Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

1 Corinthians 14:5
    I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1 Corinthians 14:6
    Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?

1 Corinthians 14:18
    I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.

1 Corinthians 14:21
    In the Law it is written: "Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:22
    Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 14:23
    So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

1 Corinthians 14:39
    Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.