jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

the church said no to my plan for my daughters baptism

1. 61
    momof1redhedposted 7 years ago

Even before my oldest was born, I talked to several preachers and pastors about my plans for my child's baptism.  Sadly, no one would do it.  It seems no matter how open minded a church might seem, they can still surprise you.  I was raised Catholic, my father is Baptist, my aunt is Mormon and a dear friend is Jewish.  I wanted my child to be raised with a true religious tolerance and knowledge of a variety of religions.  I honestly believe that ignorance breeds hostility yet knowledge breeds tolerance.  I had to get myself ordained to give my daughter the ceremony that I wanted, interdenominational.  She is blessed with Jewish as well as Christian God parents.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Since then, I haven't gone back to church.  I have encountered several other stories along the line of mine where people as individuals are challenged if they go outside of the norm.  I know of a woman that discovered she was to have a stillborn child and went to see her pastor to plan a funeral.  The pastors wife told her "No".  They didn't feel she should even be upset since the child hadn't even been born yet so she had no reason to be so attached.

I don't know what is happening to church's anymore.  They seem to have lost the common touch with their congregations.  This is a sad commentary on our society when the church is loosing its tolerance and shutting people out.  I know there are some good church's out there.  I am just tired of looking and have decided to raise and education my children from our bible and the books of those close to us.  As long as my children have a faith based religion, I don't care which one it is.

1. UpHisAss profile image60
      UpHisAssposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Good for you. Check out my profile page for the best "faith based" religion as opposed to the "fact based" religions.

Welcome. How old is your daughter? wink

2. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i'm sorry that happened. no one should feel shut out of God's house sad

1. 60
        taketimeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I believe in the Lord and Jesus.  I also believe that somewhere along the way that the message of the Lord has been badly distorted to each individual religion.  You give 10% of you paycheck and see the pastor driving a brand new car and in a million dollar home while some of the peritioners are barely making it.  I believe and I raise my nine year old to believe that you start everyday thankful for what you have and do at least one nice thing for a person or animal that otherwise would go without.  That in my book and I believe the Lord would agree is a good way to raise children and a way for them to see the fruit of their efforts!!!!

3. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'd have asked the pastors wife "do you support abortion?" (If not, why?)

4. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Please don't take this the wrong way, BUT baptism is NOT for little children or infants. The rite was originally for "believers", and small children were not able to make that decision (to believe) until later in life.
      Baptism does not "save" a person. Initiating them into denomination may "feel" good, but that's about all. Remember, being a member of ANY denomination does NOT save you either.
      If you personally believe in God, raise your child in "you faith", do your best, and let him/her make their own choice later. Kids pick up on parent's values way more than what their "church" teaches.

1. 0
        sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago in reply to this

5. Ken R. Abell profile image85
      Ken R. Abellposted 7 years ago in reply to this

momof1redhed - I am so sorry you had these experiences.  Tragically, the modern church is as guilty of being "whitewashed tombs full of dead men's bones" as the religious leaders Jesus chastised. 

As you seek to raise your child in faith, my prayer for you is to sense & experience the presence of God.  An ancient Hebrew prophet said that when we truly seek to find God we will find him.  As mystical or hokey as that may sound, I have found that to be truth.  May you know the truth & may it free you from the fallacy of human-centric reasoning. 

Be encouraged & blessed.

6. 0
      ellie1142545posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Catholic refused to Baptize your baby?  The only two Churches that will Baptize babies, are Catholic, and Lutherans....They are sprinkled with Holy Water.....

All the others will allow dedication services...Meaning that the Parents dedicate their baby to the Lord, and as the child grows and learn, this will help them to make the decision to be Baptized.....Children as young as 6 years old who wishes to give their hearts to Jesus and be Baptized will be.....But this is because the child wants to be Baptized, and not the parents wishes to have them Baptized....These are submersion in water just as Jesus did.....

7. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wow. This is so sad when, after trying make yourself "included" that you suddenly realize how "excluded you are. So sorry you had to go through this.

But if there can be something good from this experience, perhaps it is that it was YOU, not anyone else, who had the insight to be so inclusive to such a diversified family, whether by blood or adopted. It was you who rose above the rest taking a higher ground, claiming a much wider view than others.

I stand applauding. In your heartbreak and disappointment is true courage.

2. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 7 years ago

Read my hub about religious beginnings and praying, hope it helps you the way it helped me=)

3. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

That is amamzing momof1redhead. I applaud you for your decision about blessing your children so that they can be and hopefully will be open minded and accept all religions. You are a great woman and yes sadly churchs say they are open minded but they really aren't. I did do a hub on Unitarian Universal where ALL are accepted no matter if you believe or not. Great place I have to say!

oh and by the way WELCOME TO HUBPAGES!

4. 60
    eddiekayposted 7 years ago

As explained in 2 replies, the practice of "biblical baptism" is not intended for anyone who has not already become a believer nor wants to take the step, understanding what the step is and means. In practical terms, it's a public announcement of your belief. In effect, completing the rite would tend to solidify or enhance your position within a community of believers, allowing us all to move closer together. It's a real nice thing to do when you're a believer.
    RC infant baptism and LDS baptism of the dead have an understandable scriptural connection but scripture does not support the act.