Can A Rational Individual Believe In God?

Jump to Last Post 251-271 of 271 discussions (1695 posts)
  1. Evolution Guy profile image59
    Evolution Guyposted 14 years ago

Interesting.

Pro-religionism = great points being made.
    Anti-religionism = attacks.

Nothing rational in your entire dissertation.

And I think you need to look up the word "religion." You have written dozens of hubs attacking scientific facts and trying to justify your irrational beliefs.

You are in fact "preaching."

And you are in fact - guilty of child abuse by trying to persuade children to reject scientific facts in favor of your ridiculous beliefs. What on earth makes you think that is OK?

Jeebus is very proud I am sure, but seriously?

2. marinealways24 profile image57
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

GM Mark

3. profile image0
    JimLowposted 14 years ago

marinealways24,

Your one-liners continue to not make sense and I'm not saying that as a come-back or to offend you, they just don't have a clear-meaning.

There's a lot of frustration there obviously but what is it you are wanting us to study? Could you be more specific because your repeats of grouping and individuality are a bit bizzare, mainly because you keep throwing them out but not really explaining what you mean.

Try again, I'll try to understand.

1. marinealways24 profile image57
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank You for typing a respectuful question without circular arguements to protect faith. I feel I have already explained my point clearly somewhere within the 1,500+ post's. Since you asked respectfully, I will answer respectfully.

Individual Belief = No/Minimal control.

Grouped Belief = Control

This philosophy applies to all government/team operations. When you have a team, do you tell them to win or do you make them believe they will win also? 1 belief = 1 team. If they believe the same, they will work as a team. If the team is consisted of individuals with no/minimal control, what are the chances of winning a championship?

4. profile image0

Evolution Guy,

You may have overlooked my previous post but I'm not familar with your "jeebus" religion. Was he a Colleague of Charles Darwin?

Evolution Guyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No - it is making fun of the evangelical anti-evolution sheeple who seem to have completely misunderstood the bible and mistaken the Jesus who preached tolerance and anti-religionism for what you are doing.

These people follow another Messiah - Jeebus. This is the one you are following. You know - the one who thinks the earth is a few thousand years old and that millions of scientists are lying.

They will even go to vast lengths and spend hundreds of hours writing and promoting their ridiculous beliefs in an effort to persuade more children to turn off their brains and follow along like a good sheeple.

Not really surprised I had to explain it to you either. wink

5. profile image0
    Rick Marlowposted 14 years ago

Hello Marine,I only entered last night because of some of Cagsils imput.I know you are learned some in the scciptures but I was getting concerned with some of that persons belief.That guy or gal has some serious issues. Making up beliefs as they go along.Rediculous stuff. I hope you weren`t swayed. My goodness, I`ve never heard such rubbish.Good luck friend.I wish you well.

GM to you Rick. I don't accept any other persons full belief as my own, this would be contradicting myself. I simply enjoy getting individual ideas to what each person believes. This is one reason I accept nothing as absolute.

6. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

small minds, big misunderstandings

7. profile image0

Ahhh, so he was a colleague of Charles Darwin - Evolution Guy.

I know your intentions are good in wanting to recognize me as part of your jeebus sect but I'm not a part of it and the way you describe it, I'm definitely not interested. In fact I'm dis-interested in religions in-general.

You should seriously consider removing yourself from it because those aspects you describe of it, definitely don't sound good.

Respectfully, Any Grouped Belief = A Religion

Any Grouped Belief = A government.

Any Grouped Belief = A military

Any Grouped Belief = A team

Any Grouped Belief = A contradiction to individual belief.

And it appears to be accompanied by a complete lack of self awareness.

Maybe the biggest element I left out! Thank You! We could be a religion if we grouped our beliefs for an agenda, interested? We can get followers to do all of our sheep work. What do you think? lol

How you doing Mark?

2. Evolution Guy profile image59

You are following Jeebus and preaching the Wurd. And too blind to see it. wink

8. profile image0

marinealways24,

Thanks for adding more explanation. I'll consider the points the best I can.

I'm off to other things for a while but may find time to check-in on this thread later.

9. marinealways24 profile image57
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Maybe we do have an agenda already. To create self awareness to make belief sheep understand they contradict having an individual mind.

To protect faith, they only believe we are the devil testing them.

10. profile image0

marinealways24,

I had to be offline for a while but I considered your disagreement with anything in which people "group together" as I said I would and I do understand what you're trying to get across.

My take on it would be that this is your own crutch rather than it being that of others that you try to perpetrate as being a rational arguement. Possibly you are anti-social? No offense in my stating that because you may very well be and are proud of it.

You list government, military and teams among the list that includes "religion", so that it appears each of these things should not be happening because all have potential to take away a person's individuality (schools would be in that category too).

I would respond to that by saying that there is a need for for these things at different points of life and actually throughout it, in-balance and in-perspective. The vast majority of people do not go overboard with it but if they do, why would that be a problem to you? You would still be retaining the degree of individuality you desire to have for yourself.

I believe you are wanting for others, what you want them to be, rather than what they choose to be and so in a sense this stance you take is also an attempt at taking away individual choice and individuality. Your arguement kind of goes full-circle and hurts its own self.

It's in the hyper-philosophy category I have written about often and something I would definitely not want to entertain continually as you seem to be. If it truly makes you happy however, I certainly would not desire to see it taken away from you.

lol You can try to analyze my beliefs, but are too ignorant to understand self awareness to understand your own. You are a contradiction to an individual mind with your ridiculous bible teachings. Self awareness. Go study that.

11. profile image0

Evolution Guy,

I'm not familiar with your sect's "wurd" teachings either but if you and Chuck are getting what you feel you need out of it, more power to you.

12. profile image0

For those of you who might be interested, there is a guy posing as several different members on HubPages. Likely this is part of the attack method on these "Religion & Belief" forums, to make it appear there are lots of people expressing same-disagreements and he likely believes this strengthens the attacker-groups arguments. I've actually known about this for several weeks.

My suspicion is that this is not in line with HubPages policy. I know for a fact it's not in-line with other content website's policies. It is a formula for bad practices and abuse of content sites.

It really isn't of concern to me but thought I would mention it because it's a bit on the deceptive side. You would think the guy would be able to post his disagreements with "individuality".

It 'may' also be that he has already been repremanded by HubPages and is why he has resorted to this.

1. Richard VanIngram profile image60
      Richard VanIngramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really funny thing -- I started a discussion thread here a couple of weeks back after I began posting on these forums because I had the distinct impression I was talking to one person using about three personas; their language and turns of phrase were exactly the same.  I even think the person is posting as both a Christian and anti-Christian -- and posting some really vile or silly stuff as a Christian to make that side of things look worse than it would otherwise.

People said I was a Froot Loop for suggesting such and feigned anger I would not name names.  And then the whole thing got dropped.

I'm somewhat happy I'm not entirely alone in my suspicion.  I wasn't entirely alone when I mentioned it the first time either -- I got the feeling it was an open secret no one wanted to discuss.

lol Ignorance. It's all a conspiracy by the devil to challenge your faith. Be strong!

13. profile image0

Richard,

That's it exactly (three member IDs is same number I've detected). There are other very strong hints I won't go into because in one-sense I would feel somewhat badly if I were to be the direct cause of getting them into trouble, especially since it might be more serious than they realize.

As I said previously, I truly believe they think this has strengthened the attacks on this forum but in most cases has backfired on them. It has emboldended the direction others who disagree have taken because they somehow feel supported by this individual.

As far as bizzare posting, you describe it well. It in fact goes beyond that and I honestly wonder if they may be struggling with a very deep problem. I mostly respond to their bizzare posts with short replies but they will repeat them endlessly following.

Anyway, it's good to see that you too are clued into it.

14. profile image0

Here again marinealways24, you're arguing about holding to certain beliefs (Bible in this case) as taking away from individuality and yet you keep pushing to get others to study your views, so they can apparently become more like you. Full-circle again.

More ignorance. Diarrhea of your fingers with no individual thought. What am I selling? Try again. Who have I told to believe my belief's or go to hell? You are going to hell for being dishonest. Go study your book of belief again, you must have missed that part.

Since you are the brilliant genius author with over 30 books, you are clearly elite minded. Define self awareness. Surely you have unlimited knowledge of it.

15. profile image0

incredible contradictions in your posts marinealways24. There's not a response that can possibly satisfy you, in fact they seem to fuel your rage.

Please try to relax and enjoy your day.

I'm going offline in fact to enjoy a day with my wife and daughter, who by-the-way, graduates college in January to become a grade-school teacher!

Thats great to hear. I hope you haven't breeded your children to have the same sheepish beliefs as yourself. I hope you have let them have their own individual mind without telling them what to believe. Afterall, they don't need you anyways when they have the bible, right?

Again, more lies from the brilliant author. Where are the contradictions? Quote me on them. Show your not an ignorant sheep running circles to protect your ignorant faith. If you state something, use logic to back it up. Not blind faith.

16. grandmaswingler profile image61
    grandmaswinglerposted 14 years ago

I just stumbled on this posted question: Can a rational person believe in God? In order for us to have a productive discussion, we must all use the same criterion. I submitt these definitions as acceptable terms. A rational person has the ability to think and draw conclusions, or thinks logically about a subject. In other words, his thinking is based upon principles or evidence. Principles are fundamental truths and laws.
      GOD is the creator of the universe and therefore the source or originator of all the laws of nature and science that man is knowledgable about.
       I hope everyone is in agreement with these terms, as I have defined them?
       When you look at the universe, what do you see? When you look at your body and all the processes that are constantly in action in your mind and body; what do you conclude? If you are like most people you would conclude from the evidence, that there is definitely order and purpose.
       If you logically reason this statement to be true, then you must likewise reason on existence of an organizing intelligence. This intelligence is none other than GOD'S.
       Scientists have identified over 100 chemical elements. Their atomic structures display an intricate mathmatical relationship between the elements. The periodic table points to obvious design. Such amazing design could not possibly be accidental___a product of chance.
        Let me illustrate this please; When you see a camera, radio, or a computer, we readily acknowledge that it must have been produced by an intelligent designer. Would it be reasonable to say that far more complex things_____the eye, the ear, the human brain, did not originate with an intelligent designer/creator____GOD.
        In my humble opinion, I have mehodically examined all the evidence, and have come to this conclusion. GOD is real and he did most certainly create the universe and everything in it. To conclude anything else is irrational and illogical.

lol Do you think anything you said is different from any other sheep mind?

2. TheLoanConsultant profile image60
      TheLoanConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

17. profile image0

Bravo grandmaswingler!

Great post and very compatible with the thread and the Religion and Beliefs forum! I applaud you!

You've already been attacked for those statements and there will likely be more to come but no worry - the message is still getting through. You can be absolutely assured of that!

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stupid comparison. A camera is not organic. smile

2. Evolution Guy profile image59

What message is that?

That your ridiculous beliefs mean all you wish to do is fight and cause conflict? And you are unable to grasp basic science?

In that case - well done - the message is getting through.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Enough is enough. The forum thread seems like a battle ground. Nothing is coming out of such long trails of discussion.

Can we be some more constructive?

Let the people live with their faith in Bible and who chose to go with science they are free to go there. After all it is matter of personal choice.

I have faith on God but not as Bible says. My belief in God can co-exixt with modern science.

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

3. marinealways24 profile image57

Still waiting on where I contradicted myself and your definition of why you "believe" you have self awareness.

Or are you simply content with your ignorant faith and lies you wrote about me? You are a great example of a hypocritical bible follower. Preach lies to protect your ignorant faith.

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

What a load granma! A camera is not an organism! lol

19. fatfist profile image67
    fatfistposted 14 years ago

Thomas Aquinas did not prove the existence of god by any stretch of the imagination. His so-called proofs only "defined" god as an axiomatic necessity - an a priori truth or a concept. That's all.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Em, that might be a little advanced in light of the discussion here, wink.  Where did Paraglider go? lol

20. arindam1234 profile image60
    arindam1234posted 14 years ago

Belief or disbelief depends on the mind and psychology. The respect, love and devotion comes out of the mind during the helpless condition of the particular, it is absolutely true most in case. No feasibility of god in the reality but the eternal spirit and power is considered to the existence of the god.

21. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

can an individual with a rational mind believe in God?

If I wants to I can because we have free will

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)