jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

The Way of the Tao

1. Kori Lee F.P. profile image81
    Kori Lee F.P.posted 6 years ago

The best way to introduce yourself to eastern thoughts is to read the Tao of Pooh.  It is the perfect combination of a western story applied to Eastern thought.  It is an easy read and very simple good living advice.  The eastern point of view seems too simple or not encompassing all that we experience in our lives.  This is not an accurate observation.  The eastern point-of-view does not have an definite doctrine but it has a way to accomplish psychological issues.  The reason why I gravitate towards eastern philosophies is because they address the human mind.  They talk about will, emotions and desires.  The western religions seem to focus on God and the relationship that a faithful have.  They do not address my inner psychological attitudes and issues. 

To Lao-tse (LAOdsuh), the harmony that naturally existed between heaven and earth from the very beginning could be found by anyone at any time, but not by following the rules of Confucianists.  As he stated in his Tao Te Ching (DAO DEH JEENG), the "Tao Virtue Book", earth was in essence a reflection of heaven, run by the same laws—not by the laws of man.  (  The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff)

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I honestly try to read it, as well as the Te of the Piglet. No luck, I got quite bored and dropped both. sad

3. 61
    puretaoismposted 3 years ago

Don't ever try to read Tao Te Ching for Taoism, it's 100% wrong.

1. Soul Man Dancing profile image60
      Soul Man Dancingposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I find this statement very interesting. I am only vaguely familiar with Taoism. Sure, there must be doctrinal issues . . . it is a path to enlightenment. In Christianity, there are Calvinists and Arminians. What do you find unacceptable about the Tao Te Ching for Taoism?